Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
While on a trip to the north-woods this past weekend had a couple... Gremlins; still got some good riding in, the sled is at the dealer now; but I thought I'd start a thread and find out if anyone else had these issues. of course I will add what my dealer finds to help anyone in the future

As far as fouling plugs; I thought I read a thread a month ago but couldn't find it... even with google!

So anyhow i'll get to it.....

cold start, letting it warm up to operating temp like we all doo; it sounds fine until it's time to go and the sled won't get out of its own way. clearly not hitting on both... but it will clear once I get it going with a couple short half throttle opportunities... then it will be fine until another real cold restart; the dealer couldn't get it off the trailer because of this... it is about 100 miles out of break-in... I think I'm at about 560 miles... I'm thinking the excess oil from breakin killed the plugs? we will see...

As far as the lights go they would flicker all day; made my my riding day shorter... It didn't start till after a pitstop on the way back to our cabin, imagine my surprise tooling down the trail and everything went black for 4 - 5 seconds; I about soiled myself in those twisties on trail 6 out of land O'lakes to Boulder. Then the next morning the battery was dead or at least the circuit was dead, the lights continued to flicker the rest of the trip. I didn't have a tester to check the volts on the battery or anything. sled ran fine all day... good thing I got that pull start from LoClass... Thanks Jason!

I know there's a lot here, clearly I have a couple gremlins on the 16.... or one BIG one

Not too worried.... but I do have a trip coming Feb 11.... UGH!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
ruptured cell in the battery ? we see it in cars occasionally. I know that etecs require a lot of juice between the injectors and the ECU, I think that's is why your grip heaters are disabled under a certain rpm. Easy to tell with a battery load tester but if you don't have one, next time give the battery a tap when it's acting up to see if anything changes. Hopefully a new battery and you'll be good to go. Let us know what they find. Good Luck !

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Could be as simple as a loose ground. Sometimes things get missed during assy or loosen up after a few hundred miles. Hopefully it's something easily fixed.

·
Premium Member
27,902 Posts
Sled is at the dealer being troubleshooted. Shouldn't be difficult to find since the problems appear to be related to the electrical. Bad battery, poor ground, faulty stator, faulty regulator (in ECM). Sounds like a problem easy enough to find and fix.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh boy...... I feel like a turd!

I put a 2 up seat on the sled... the nice one with the backrest and added heated grips for my bride.... the wire/plug has no cap, I tucked it under my tunnel bag.... well after 200 + miles it found it's way to start shorting out on the top of the heat exchanger! ugh!!!!

No permanent damage other than the connector was buggered up some so they put a new one on. The battery is taking and holding a charge

Still looking into the rough running or fouling issues on a cold start

So the question becomes what is everyone using to cover the plug end when not using the seat....

Hey Doo put a cap on it so stupid guy's like me dont try to burn up there new sled.....

I am more mad at myself for the DA moment... I know better! or should have... all I can do now is laugh at myself now... won't do that again!!

·
Premium Member
27,902 Posts
Those wires are a perfect example of a fundamental problem. Tonight I was helping put a seat back on a 600. After removing the seat I noticed there was a specific indent in the gas tank to place the wires so they wouldn't get squished by the seat. I also noticed the wires had been squished by the seat. While watching the owner reinstall the seat I remarked that we couldn't see how the wires were placing themselves, but it didn't seem to bother the owner.

The majority of problems are caused by how we work and the lack of attention we pay to the wires. In other words I wouldn't feel bad for the mistake, but I would be concerned if it were repeated. I see it everyday when folks grow tired and stop caring or paying attention to the little things they find mundane.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It happen to me it was a loose connection behind the speedo
Hooe that help!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I know that etecs require a lot of juice between the injectors and the ECU, I think that's is why your grip heaters are disabled under a certain rpm. Easy to tell with a battery load tester but if you don't have one, next time give the battery a tap when it's acting up to see if anything changes.
New sleds give 50 % heat at idle. Love it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Daag44,

Thanks for posting the final solution. Many times I here of the problems, but the solutions are not posted.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Up Date....

Sled still at dealer, they can't seem to find why its loading up during the warm-up cycle? other than this the sled runs great and will clear up with a few short blips of the flipper. No one else having this issue? I could of swore I read a thread that mentioned this type of issue a month ago, before mine started doing it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
well i never had a set go in my etec yet but i do know there pronetochipping and cracking. Back when I raced Mach Z's as soon as the reeds got bad the sled would not run right in the bottom end. ( could be different with reeds in the case vs cylinder) but if I raced the sled to long on the same set of reed petals it would start to loadup bad on the bottom end it would take a good rip on the jack stand to clean it out . Install new reeds with better tension and no chips and snap she was right there again.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i never had a set go in my etec yet but i do know there pronetochipping and cracking. Back when I raced Mach Z's as soon as the reeds got bad the sled would not run right in the bottom end. ( could be different with reeds in the case vs cylinder) but if I raced the sled to long on the same set of reed petals it would start to loadup bad on the bottom end it would take a good rip on the jack stand to clean it out . Install new reeds with better tension and no chips and snap she was right there again.
I ask if they looked at em... Thanks for posting

·
Registered
5 Posts
REV SDI... any luck with this. My 2016 600 ETEC Blizzard is doing the same thing. Only cold starts. Is at the dealer for the third time. No resolution.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
REV SDI... any luck with this. My 2016 600 ETEC Blizzard is doing the same thing. Only cold starts. Is at the dealer for the third time. No resolution.
No not yet, they were waiting to hear back from BRP, I had a trip planned north; picked it up not taking it back till the season is over... there idea, but I did call after work today (when I saw your post) to see if they figured anything more out on it. they told me to look at the throttle cable, to make sure it has a 1/8 play in the line, there is a sensor in there that might be causing this if not enough play. My sled is still up North so I will look at it tomorrow.

If you figure something out let me know and I will do the same.

Good Luck, Ride Safe!

·
Registered
587 Posts
So it only does it when it's dead cold ?

Or through out the day after say after a lunch break ?

·
Premium Member
27,902 Posts
Rev SDI, this problem has me think back to last season with your son's 600 SDI. I find it helps to break it down to find the problem more easily. The engine needs enough fuel for the air intake, enough oil for the load, the valves need to open when needed, the exhaust needs to be free flowing, and the voltage needs to be high enough to run all of the electrical correctly. If I remember correctly you have gained a lot of experience with the SDI that can be applied to your ETEC.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts