Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my thought. I ride about 1200 miles a season, roughly 500 out west, 700 in Minnesota. I'm REALLY thinking of a 15' 146 Freeride, but wondering if the 2.5" lug will take the flatland/trail riding. The next yr.s are gonna be more trips to the Big Horns and maybe further out west so the mileage is gonna tip more to out west. Could I cut the lug down to say 2 " ? Seems kind of silly to do on a new sled, but might make it more versatile w/o sacrificing out west riding to much. Or get a 15' B.C.X with 1.75 and give up off trail track area. would appreciate all thoughts,

Thanks!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Just ride it. The reality of it is my 13 Freeride 146 sees more trail action than I want, but that's life. Mines doing fine with 3500 kms on it. Track looks new, but I know when to pin it and am careful of rocks and stumps.

·
Boondocking Connoisseur
1,175 Posts
Scratchers and you'll be fine

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a 14 146 and love it in the trails. I switched to a 1.5 ripsaw as soon as I got it. When we got enough snow then I swapped it back to the 2.5. I mostly back country with the 2.5 but have to ride a ways to get there. The 2.5 didn't have any troubles doing so, scratchers and I had 0 heat issues in some pretty setup snow this last weekend. You will just need to reclutch for conditions.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was the answer I was hoping for, Definitely plan to run scrachers, and know the Freeride will work a lot better going out west than a 137" for floatation. Can't wait for the sneek peak now!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I ride my summit everywhere from flat lands to mountains with a 154 with the 2.5" lug ive had no problems and never used my scratchers yet it hasnt overheated.

·
RS
3,087 Posts
I have a cousin that only rides trails with his 2.6" 155 mtn sled, I don't know why people on here are so worried about taller lug tracks, they are awesome, I'll probably never ever own anything less than 1.75" now, even on the wifes sled that mostly, 90% trail rides. the taller lugs are soo worth it everytime you go off trail

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have a cousin that only rides trails with his 2.6" 155 mtn sled, I don't know why people on here are so worried about taller lug tracks, they are awesome, I'll probably never ever own anything less than 1.75" now, even on the wifes sled that mostly, 90% trail rides. the taller lugs are soo worth it everytime you go off trail
That's what I was wondering, I just sold my Renegade X with 1 ¼" lug and not the greatest in deep snow. I'm probably 60/40 off trail/trail riding so was gonna buy the Freeride 137 that comes with 1 3/4" lug which I see plenty of friends trail ride with that size lug. I was wondering if the Freeride 146 2.5 lug is gonna be pushing it? They don't give you the option to get a smaller lug so just wondering if it would overheat or what not on the days that I'm trail riding. And also, 146 comes with Tmotion and not Rmotion, is it really horrible on trails?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I owned a 2011 BCX and currently own a 2014 Summit X 146 am going to snowcheck a 2015 Freeride 137 with 2.25" Flex edge and R-Motion. It should be the perfect crossover sled.

Loved the ease and capability of riding the XM off trail and it isn't bad on freshly groomed trails but when trails turn tight and rough the XM is a handful. Hoping the new Freeride will be the holy grail.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Buy scratchers and inspect your slides each summer... Giver

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jeez, this is like a tennis match for me..maybe the 137 F.R. w/ 2.25 is going to be a little better for me, that would give me a bigger lug than the B.C.X. but not as much as the 146 F.R. I'm thinking the 146 w/ uncoupled suspension is going to be a wheelie machine vs the R MOTION and even the trips out west involve some trail riding. Might be a game day decision at the sneek peek.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts