Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to spring order a Brand new 2019 Skidoo. I'm undecided between a Renegade X OR a Renegade Backcountry. I Tried a 2018 Backcountry at Old Forge Demo rides how ever I was unable to ride a Renegade do to time. I live in central New York and I just wanted to know the pros and cons of both snowmobiles, opinions, or advice of anyone who has any to offer.

·
Registered
793 Posts
This season I extended my 15 BC from 137x1.75 to 146x2.3. I notice more push in the corners and it is less trail friendly although the hookup in good snow on the trails is incredible. Off trail it is a monster. I know this isn't the platform you are looking at, but I think the track change difference would be similar to what you are looking at. The question is where do you want to spend your time?

dave

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
If OF and CNY trails are where you ride then the X-Gade would be my pick. The BCX gives you better ability off trail but as we know the opportunity for that is often limited by lack of snow and open areas available for us to do that in NY. Sure there is some but if you are only boon docking a small % of your ride time in my opinion the BCX would be out of place in our environment. I have seen one Backcountry and 3 Freerides on the OF and Tug trails this year (I am up every week) and I always wonder why someone would buy that sled type for our area especially the Freerides with paddle tracks???? Good luck and happy riding with whatever sled you buy and I hope it provides many miles/smiles

·
Registered
611 Posts
I will be the contrarian here and say that I have been very happy with my 146x2.5 freeride. I don't think it pushes at all and other than running the scratchers, I haven't had to adjust my riding style at all compared to my older renegade 137x2.0. If you want to run trails but also play in the deep stuff, I would say the BCX with the 1.6 Ice Cobra. Track will hook extremely well in all conditions and you'll get the added benefit of the 146's flotation when the snow piles up. The real question is your riding style. There is a give and take with every sled.

·
Ski-Doo Guru
13,818 Posts
You have to ask yourself if you are going to use a renegade how its marketed or a glorified trail machine. The 137" Renegade to me is nothing more than a trail sled, it is NOT off trail geared or capable. The 146" is everything the renegade has been marketed as except its narrow. Hence why I widened mine. If you want a renegade for everything its advertised as get a 146 and widen it. There is only 1 downfall to the 146" Cmotion and that is on trail it is NOT as smooth as rmotion do not believe anything otherwise.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
You have to ask yourself if you are going to use a renegade how its marketed or a glorified trail machine. The 137" Renegade to me is nothing more than a trail sled, it is NOT off trail geared or capable. The 146" is everything the renegade has been marketed as except its narrow. Hence why I widened mine. If you want a renegade for everything its advertised as get a 146 and widen it. There is only 1 downfall to the 146" Cmotion and that is on trail it is NOT as smooth as rmotion do not believe anything otherwise.
Well said. My 137 xrs sucked off trail. I only go off 25% of the time and foe that reason I'm going BC XRS with 1.6 I think lol (can't make up my mind on a track) then I will throw some c&a' s on it with the potential of widening it.

I have see free rides blow by me in the UP and I can not catch them on my XRS 137. So how bad can they be on trail with a 1.6?

I have yet to here 1 bad thing about the backcountry. Besides front shocks and gauge.

·
Ski-Doo Guru
13,818 Posts
Well said. My 137 xrs sucked off trail. I only go off 25% of the time and foe that reason I'm going BC XRS with 1.6 I think lol (can't make up my mind on a track) then I will throw some c&a' s on it with the potential of widening it.

I have see free rides blow by me in the UP and I can not catch them on my XRS 137. So how bad can they be on trail with a 1.6?

I have yet to here 1 bad thing about the backcountry. Besides front shocks and gauge.
I really think ski-doo is missing the boat by not offering the back country with a factory 38" or 42" front end option. If they truly wanted to give guys a true 50/50 then the 42" should be an option. Kind of like the Assault vs the SKS. The BCX is more of a 60/40 or 70/30 how its delivered but the front end swap makes it a dream trail sled for up north big trails with big snow. The best off trail machine I have owned but could still run 6,000 km this season on trail :D It's like the freerides its not that you cannot giver and hang on them with the shorties its that the 40.5" width when set widest in stock form is just a lot more work.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
You are correct! The reason for my recommendation for the X-Gade is if he is riding the area he tested the sled at then most likely 90-95% of his riding will be on trail riding that sees heavy weekend traffic. You will thank BRP for rMotion after miles of stutter bumps and rollers on those days! As a trail machine the X-gade or XRS-Gade really do perform great and should be marketed as such. Waist deep virgin snow and I agree you will get a work out getting them back on trail and wishing you had something that would float instead of trying to search for how deep the snow pack really is.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Sounds like we need a Renegade 146" R-motion.

I hope BRP never makes the Backcountry 42" That would ruin a very good maneuverable Backcountry sled for us. 70% of our riding is boondocking through backcountry open fields and northern tree rows. Then jump onto the pounded out groom trail and conserve fuel to get back to town. :wink_old:

The 137" Backcountry has been our best sled. performs well off trail and has waaaay more speed on trail vs the 146" Backcountry. Just different riding style for different areas i guess.

You guys down east go back to the 42" Renegade and leave us the 40" Backcountrys. :smile_old:

Reactions: Sixdots and Jeb©

·
Ski-Doo Guru
13,818 Posts
Sounds like we need a Renegade 146" R-motion.

I hope BRP never makes the Backcountry 42" That would ruin a very good maneuverable Backcountry sled for us. 70% of our riding is boondocking through backcountry open fields and northern tree rows. Then jump onto the pounded out groom trail and conserve fuel to get back to town. :wink_old:

The 137" Backcountry has been our best sled. performs well off trail and has waaaay more speed on trail vs the 146" Backcountry. Just different riding style for different areas i guess.

You guys down east go back to the 42" Renegade and leave us the 40" Backcountrys. :smile_old:
I agree they shouldn't mess with the whole line just offer each like Polaris does with the SKS vs the Assault. SKS is a slightly longer but narrow sled, doo could do the same but keep a more trail friendly 146" like the Assault.

·
Registered
54 Posts
A7 Now that you've done the 42'' front end. Do you feel that the sled is a 50/50 sled? I do agree with the 60/40 or the 70/30. When the trail is hard packed/cold out it's a 60/40 sled but when it gets warm/soft trail it's a 70/30 sled if not more.

·
Ski-Doo Guru
13,818 Posts
A7 Now that you've done the 42'' front end. Do you feel that the sled is a 50/50 sled? I do agree with the 60/40 or the 70/30. When the trail is hard packed/cold out it's a 60/40 sled but when it gets warm/soft trail it's a 70/30 sled if not more.
100% I think it is ideal.

·
Ski-Doo Guru
13,818 Posts
What did you have to change on the front end A7M266D ?? Was It just the A-arms,? or spindles & tie rods ?? and were you able to use the factory shocks?? :ridedoo:
You need A arms from a trail sled and tie rods off an adrenaline or tnt model. Factory shocks are same. Keep the bcx spindles.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Pricing for widening parts:

Two lower a-arms: $209/ea.

Two upper a-arms: $159/ea.

Tie rods (i think they are called "stabilisator" on the doo parts list) $54.99 ea.

Not too bad if all the other existing hardware (bushings, screws, ball joints, etc) will work.

·
Ski-Doo Guru
13,818 Posts
Pricing for widening parts:

Two lower a-arms: $209/ea.

Two upper a-arms: $159/ea.

Tie rods (i think they are call stabilisator on the doo parts list) $54.99 ea.

Not too bad if all the other existing hardware (bushings, screws, ball joints, etc) will work.
Wow us prices are much lower than Canada.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts