Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran up to Cadillac this weekend to finally try my "new" 2014 GSX SE 1200.

I always had 700/800 Polaris sleds, then went to an Apex for three miserable weekends, then the Vector and picked up the GSX last spring.

The Vector and GSX both come in at 130 HP, but at 1200 cc vs.1049 cc, and there are a lot of tweaks available for getting more out of the Doo.

But I was sure surprised when my Vector took the GSX this weekend. If anything I thought the longer track and studs would take the hole shot out on the 121 inch Vector.

It was pretty close, and traded off a few times depending. For the limited time and trading off you could easily call it even, but I didn't think the Vector would hang in there. The top end for both at the time was 95 on the speedos. We were on the lake with a few inches of dry powder, single digit temps. The 1200 was hitting 8k on the tach.

The 2010 Vector always felt strong. It was the first year that they increased the CCs and went FI with it. There was a video of it spanking the carb version of the Vector, and then them bringing out the Apex to run with it. It stayed with the Apex to 90 mph and then it was over. I don't know if they made the Vector a little strong that first year, but I do know that you will not find that Yamaha video ANYWHERE on the web any longer.

Not trying to start anything, just saying they ran the same. I know that there are lots of options if I want more out of the 1200. There are not any options to tweak the Vector.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The 14 1200's are duds with stock clutching. By far the worst year. I'm not making excuses for the 1200 as i couldn't care. We have one 14 in our group and his wife dusts him on her 15 1200 GT touring lol.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
hmmm. that's not been my experience at all. my riding partner has that vector motor in his cat and I spank the shnit of him repeatedly and non stop. I was actually surprised how much stronger the 1200 felt over the 1050 Yamaha when we swap sleds. midrange and top end is hands down the 1200. I find the 1050 boring. :eek:hmy_old:

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
I rode a FI Venture GT before my Expedition. The Expedition sure feels stronger all over the place, and actually hits a significantly higher indicated top speed, and that is a WT vs. a standard track.

My co-worker has a strong running carbed vector. He is much lighter than me, and I would hang with him (and I think I edged him by a bit) while hauling a passenger.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm. that's not been my experience at all. my riding partner has that vector motor in his cat and I spank the shnit of him repeatedly and non stop. I was actually surprised how much stronger the 1200 felt over the 1050 Yamaha when we swap sleds. midrange and top end is hands down the 1200. I find the 1050 boring. :eek:hmy_old:
The Vector motor is a little different than the Nytro motor that they put in the YamaCat. In theory the Nytro has the fuel mapping setup a little hotter, but everyone agrees they lost something in the Cat chassis. I haven't heard anyone that is excited with the performance of the Yamaha in the Cat body.

And the carb'd Vector is a lot different yet. The FI really wakes up that motor. (There is also an extra 76 CCs in there, although I don't know how much that matters. The Apex is cranking out it's power at under a 1000 CCs.. )

As for the clutching, I'm not sure the whole story, but I know the PO broke a spring in the original setup. Something about a known issue and an updated spring..

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Vector motor is a little different than the Nytro motor that they put in the YamaCat. In theory the Nytro has the fuel mapping setup a little hotter, but everyone agrees they lost something in the Cat chassis. I haven't heard anyone that is excited with the performance of the Yamaha in the Cat body.

And the carb'd Vector is a lot different yet. The FI really wakes up that motor. (There is also an extra 76 CCs in there, although I don't know how much that matters. The Apex is cranking out it's power at under a 1000 CCs.. )

As for the clutching, I'm not sure the whole story, but I know the PO broke a spring in the original setup. Something about a known issue and an updated spring..

Thanks
The extra cylinder might have something to do with it :wink_old:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Not the same motor or chassis. Vector is more of an old school "low rider" - better track angles & a less restricted exhaust compared to the cat.

I wouldn't want to ride one for long on a bumpy trail, but a pretty decent performer. The Nytro's & now Vipers were marketed more as Yamaha's Rough trail performance sled, but the Vectors were faster on Topend..

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Not the same motor or chassis. Vector is more of an old school "low rider" - better track angles & a less restricted exhaust compared to the cat.

I wouldn't want to ride one for long on a bumpy trail, but a pretty decent performer. The Nytro's & now Vipers were marketed more as Yamaha's Rough trail performance sled, but the Vectors were faster on Topend..
You guys that are saying its not the same chassis or motor......isn't the 1050 in the Cat the same HP, and in a LIGHTER chassis? I would think it performs better than the vector. Even if the argument you make had some merit, the difference has got to be small in either direction.

I'm telling ya the 1200 I'm on feels remarkably stronger, not just a little. Of course, those cats can be sneaky fast so in a short drag race who knows, they might be close. While trail riding tho, the 1200 midrange punch is undeniable.

·
Registered
783 Posts
The Vector and the Nytro/YamaCat are basically the same motor, but there is a hotter fuel curve on the later. Should be more response and low end on it.

But as said, exhaust and track angle can have an impact.

Just as all my M-10 sleds with the exact same motor had less of a hard launch and the top end compared to the same sled with an Edge suspension.

As for ride, I first looked a Nytro after my last half dozen sleds were old school style with M-10s. The guy on the Nytro couldn't understand those sleds, asked how the heck I stood up for the bumps.
I explained I didn't have too.. :smile_old:

If we ever get some snow in Southwest Lower Michigan maybe I can find another 1200 to compare to.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The difference between the Viper and Vector or Nytro is exhaust routing. The Vector and Nytro have rear exiting exhaust while the viper has the exhaust exiting under the cowl. This has caused a drop in performance particularly in the mid-range, but much of a difference in feel than the actual numbers indicate. Many former Nytro owners who moved to the viper have been very disappointed, because the character of that motor has changed dramatically.

As for the Vector motor vs. Nytro motor, the biggest difference is with the cams and clutching.The lobes on the Nytro are longer, and therefore more performance oriented. They also run rougher as a result. The Nytro makes 5-10 hp more. The Vector is a trail machine with smoother mannerisms and clutching. My '12 Vector would regularly beat my buddy's Nytro 0-60, but after that he would catch and pass me.

For the record, I loved my vector except for the seat. It's too soft and I'm too tall - the outcome was a crouched seating position after 30 minutes of riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts