Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 MXZ 600 SDI w/121" track. It is all stock except dropped one tooth on bottom sprocket (21). I want to get a 136" extension w/ 8" billet wheels relocated. I am also thinking of getting extrovert/introvert drivers. I have 10 tooth drive sprocket stock, but am thinking of going to a 9 tooth. Will the 9 tooth sprocket fit with out cuting the rails? What kind of gearing change will I have to do for the 9 tooth sprocket? Also who has the best products for all this?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ski Doo has a kit with almost everything you need to do your machine. I am waiting on a answer if it will fit my 03 mxz. I don't know about the gear thing, I am trying to figure mine out also.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
akmike75 said:
Ski Doo has a kit with almost everything you need to do your machine. I am waiting on a answer if it will fit my 03 mxz. I don't know about the gear thing, I am trying to figure mine out also.
[snapback]282845[/snapback]​
Depends on what you are going to do with the sled... dropping from a 10 lug driver to a 9 lug driver is a 10% reduction in gear ratio and I don't know what your bottom gear is ... so hard to recommend.. not knowing what you want to use the sled for.. high speed trail riding is one thing.. dragging your buds on the lake is another and deep powder and hill climbing are another. Give us a few more details... current bottom gear size and how you plan to ride and what track.. 1" , 1.25", 1.5" or 2" lug/

If I were to recommend parts.. I have a PLP extension which is pricey as it has a heat exchanger but would probably recommend just using the doo extension or a VE tunnel extension. As for rail extensions and 8" big wheel kit; i would call Maria at Mountain Machines Performance and go with MMP rail extensions and wheels as their rail extensions carry the hyfax to the end of the extensions... Mr. Tracks at Tracks USA also has similar extensions...but the MMP really match the rails well and they will cut their standard aluminum wheels anyway you want them.

HPE (High Performance Engineering) is as good a place as any to get the 9 lug extros.

My sled is up north right now.. see if I can get a bud to go take a picture of the tunnel extension, rail extensions and wheels this evening. I am geared 23/46 with 9 lug drivers and a 136" x 2" camoplast track... do mostly off trial riding.. love to shoot up and out of small bowls in the fields... with this sled.. Top speed is not great on this sled with this combination but I am more into going thru deep snow.. and accelerating.. You might be happier with 23/43 gearing... it's all in what you want to do.

Mountain Machines Performance

Hi-Performance Engineering

Tracks USA

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great info djm. I had 22/43 stock but I am at 21/43 now. Do you have the extrovert drivers? I also am wondering if 9 tooth extrovert drivers will fit my sled with out having to cut rails. I am heading out west, so I want it to work good for hills and powder, but will mostly ride trails and boondooking the rest of the time. I am looking at either a 1.75" or 2" track. How does your 2" track hold up off/on trail?

·
Registered
39 Posts
JevaRev said:
Great info djm. I had 22/43 stock but I am at 21/43 now. Do you have the extrovert drivers? I also am wondering if 9 tooth extrovert drivers will fit my sled with out having to cut rails. I am heading out west, so I want it to work good for hills and powder, but will mostly ride trails and boondooking the rest of the time. I am looking at either a 1.75" or 2" track. How does your 2" track hold up off/on trail?
[snapback]282930[/snapback]​
I'm not sure if there is clearance issues on the 04 600SDI when you throw on a deep lug track, I think on the 03's the deepest you can run without modifications to the tunnel is a 1.5" lug. You might want to double check that just in case...But I'm sure you already know the limitations. Sorry if I stepped on your toes.

C

·
Registered
398 Posts
JevaRev said:
Nines won't get in the way. Why not go to 10t extros? Less rolling resistance and they won't get in the way either. I would also do a combination of rail extension and setback to improve your AOA. I went this route last year and the sled was awesome. Went to a 144 this year. That was a whole lot of trouble (work)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Don (djm) knows of what he speaks. I would also recommend MMP for the extensions and wheels. I've been to their shop a few times. Great people to deal with.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
JevaRev said:
I do not have extroverts on the rev yet.. will do that this spring probably when I put a ZX (04 rev) chaincase in it.. will also go to 10 lug extros.. they are laying in the garage. The 2"lug track (and yes Revvy, I know it is not suppose to fit on my 03 but it does-maybe because of the PLP tunnel extension and lower brackets-not sure but JevaRev definitely won't have any problems with the 04) seems to hold up fine for cross country and some trail riding. I don't do much trail riding and you want to watched hard packed roads without studs.

I have couple of mountain sleds with 151" x 2" lug tracks... and they have run a fair amount of trails in and out of the mountains in Wyoming.. more so around Dubois then the Snowy's with no lug issues.

I bought my current rev 2" track with the idea of cutting the lugs down to about 1.65/1.7" and just started riding it the way it was and wound up liking it. 21/43 gearing with 9 lug drivers would work fine out west... Or 21/44 or 45 might be even better. I went with the bigger bottom gear (46 tooth) so I could stay with a bigger top gear and have less bending of the chain (have 47 tooth in mountain sleds).

I'm with Cheech though.. (and thanks for the vote of confidence Cheech); I would stick with 10 lug top drivers... ultimately do the extros.. for the reduced bending of the track...they are about the same diameter of the 8" rear wheels.. to put the extros on.. you could either set your skid back and if you are going to do that.. you want to make that decision before you order the rail extensions... MMP will cut them any length you want. But it is easier to trim the front of your current rails and shorten the tips. I could send you a sketch if you want to do that. Just not sure how much you want to get into.. ie. setting the skid back.. probably have to move the rear brackets.. which will cause you a bunch of grinding and reriveting.. as I don't remember the layout of the 04 rear bracket off the top of my head.
Sorry for the long winded response...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheech said:
JevaRev said:
Nines won't get in the way. Why not go to 10t extros? Less rolling resistance and they won't get in the way either. I would also do a combination of rail extension and setback to improve your AOA. I went this route last year and the sled was awesome. Went to a 144 this year. That was a whole lot of trouble (work)
[snapback]282960[/snapback]​
I thought that the 10 tooth will hit the rails if you dont cut them or move the skid back. I want to stay away from all that, thats the reason for the 9 tooth. But you say the 10 tooth wont hit either even with suspension bottomed out. I do like the MMP setup thats probably the way I will go. I am just not sure on the drivers?

·
Registered
205 Posts
So not to be dumb or anything, could I fit a 1.75x136 on my 03 without to much trouble? Can you get just the tunell from doo or do you have to get the whole kit? I put the delete kit on mine that won't work will it?

·
Registered
398 Posts
akmike75 said:
So not to be dumb or anything, could I fit a 1.75x136 on my 03 without to much trouble? Can you get just the tunell from doo or do you have to get the whole kit? I put the delete kit on mine that won't work will it?
[snapback]283096[/snapback]​
The 1.75 fit on my 03 with no problem. On the setback, I made my own drop brackets that bolted directly to the stock brackets. No riveting or grinding. The only thing I had to do was put reinforcing plates on the inside of the tunnel for the front mounts. This involved making 2 plates (.070-.080 material thicknes) approximately 3" by 4" and riveting them to the inside of the tunnel. After that, drill 2 holes for the front mounts (I dropped 3/4 inch and setback 3 inches) and drilling a total of four holes to mount the drop brackets to the stock rear brackets. The setback was simpler to do than the tunnel extension. I've got pics of the brackets if you want to see them.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Javarev if you are interested I can hook you up with what you need from mmp as far as the suspension goes. I also have a full set of billet wheels for sale used to save you some dough. Djm bought his sled from me it is one bad ride wish I never would have sold it. Get ahold of me if interested. Skinny

·
Registered
205 Posts
cheech said:
akmike75 said:
[snapback]283096[/snapback]​
The 1.75 fit on my 03 with no problem. On the setback, I made my own drop brackets that bolted directly to the stock brackets. No riveting or grinding. The only thing I had to do was put reinforcing plates on the inside of the tunnel for the front mounts. This involved making 2 plates (.070-.080 material thicknes) approximately 3" by 4" and riveting them to the inside of the tunnel. After that, drill 2 holes for the front mounts (I dropped 3/4 inch and setback 3 inches) and drilling a total of four holes to mount the drop brackets to the stock rear brackets. The setback was simpler to do than the tunnel extension. I've got pics of the brackets if you want to see them.
[snapback]283121[/snapback]​
Thanks. That would be cool if you could do that for me. The pictures would probably help. I am a more visual kind of guy!

Thanks again.

Mike

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Is it possible to do a 121 to 136 conversion without a tunnel extension? Why would I want to do this? I am thinking of trading in my Gade for a 121 but I have a extra 136 2" track I planned to use out west. I would like to convert the new 121 into a 136 just for a single trip out west every year. Would rather ride a 121 on the trails in the mid-west. Is there someway to hold the flap up a bit so it does not get sucked up by the track?

Thanks,
RK

·
Registered
398 Posts
akmike - Pics have been emailed

04rene - I honestly thought that the 136 x 1.75 was better performing all around than the 121. Not even close to what I thought the drop in performance on the trail would be. Trails around here are never icy though. The 800 was pretty squirrelly with the 121 x 1.0 track. At 136 I had way better hook up and still cornered real well. Borrow a Renegade and see what you think. I would think you would have to set it up with the tunnel extension for a 136 and then switch back to the 121 if you wanted a shorty. Should be able to find some opinions comparing 121's to 136's pluses and minuses.

·
Registered
205 Posts
cheech said:
akmike - Pics have been emailed

04rene - I honestly thought that the 136 x 1.75 was better performing all around than the 121. Not even close to what I thought the drop in performance on the trail would be. Trails around here are never icy though. The 800 was pretty squirrelly with the 121 x 1.0 track. At 136 I had way better hook up and still cornered real well. Borrow a Renegade and see what you think. I would think you would have to set it up with the tunnel extension for a 136 and then switch back to the 121 if you wanted a shorty. Should be able to find some opinions comparing 121's to 136's pluses and minuses.
[snapback]283255[/snapback]​
So if you did it again would you just put a better track on the 121 and leave it short or would you go to the 136? I have some friends with the renegade and they like them. They even came from using summits to the renegade? I only have the 600ho but want to be able to go in the powder good enough to not be digging out all day. I am not so much into the hillclimbing more deep powder riding. I am selling my summit

·
Registered
398 Posts
No way would I go back to a 121. Even if all I rode were trails. The 136 had better hook up, was actually better in the bumps and there was very little performance lost in cornering because of the added stopping power and acceleration hookup coming out of the corner. Not to mention the 121 was just too short for any serious off-trail venturing.

·
Registered
205 Posts
cheech said:
No way would I go back to a 121. Even if all I rode were trails. The 136 had better hook up, was actually better in the bumps and there was very little performance lost in cornering because of the added stopping power and acceleration hookup coming out of the corner. Not to mention the 121 was just too short for any serious off-trail venturing.
[snapback]283289[/snapback]​
Thanks, that is what I wanted to hear!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts