Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably going to get a 1.25" track after this season for my sled. I'm also thinking about studding it for the safety aspect. How would this work? I assume 1.375" studs (96 or 144...not sure). What kind of studs are the most reliable? I'm not worried at all about the best take of, I'm just looking for some added traction on icy corners and studs that will stay in place without ripping the track. I occasionally ride in conditions that are less than stellar on seasonal roads (aka rocks and frozen dirt). How much should I be worried about the studs pulling out?

Also, what is a good all around 1.25" track? I ride very hard pack, deep fluff, and everything in between. Basically I'm looking for a little more traction in the deep stuff and some added stability in trails with loose snow. I've heard a lot about the Ripsaw and now I see Kimpex has a "Tomahawk" that they claim is as good or better than the Ripsaw in every aspect. The Tomahawk has a 3" pitch as opposed to a 2.52"...what's that mean?

Thanks a lot for any suggestions...and sorry for the long-winded post!

·
Registered
23 Posts
you say your looking for better traction in deeper snow and loose stuff why not just go to a 1inch and a half paddle?As for the 3 inch pitch on the kimpax.The pitch is is the distance between the teeth (center to center) on your drive coggs.At least I think thats right.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like the 1.5" paddle, but I also ride some very hard packed trails so I'm looking for a 'happy medium.' Thanks for the info on the pitch!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Go with the 1.5" trust me......i wouldn't go any bigger......i run an 1.75 on mine and i mostly ride powder......however, i also ride hard packed trials and i can't feel a thing.......1.5 will be perfect

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a 1 1/4 camoplast 6 pitch design track that does good in bolth deep snow and will loft the skis any time I want to on hard pack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts