Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went the 2stroke route for my back up sled this year. I got an XS 800 but have had problems with the cooling system and I'm still hesitant on if I want a 2 stroke (main sled is a 1200xr). I am considering picking up a 2016 1200x to replace the 800 etec. The 1200 has ~5000 miles.

Are these solid machines? What should I look out for ? The 800 etec is fun, but I love the reliability of my 1200XR

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I sold my 16' 1200 Blizzard last spring. Awesome sled and zero issues over 4 seasons of riding. Only an oil change each year and one new belt while I had it. You probably already know they run just fine on 87 Octane. Paid $9500 for it new and four seasons later sold it for $6500. Lowest cost of ownership of any new sled I have purchased. Was sad to see it go but the 900T grabbed me and forced me to order one last spring.

In addition, the sled sold on the first day I listed it last March after our season was over. Now that you cannot get them from the factory anymore they are desirable machines and resale is really good.

As for what to look for. If the engine is stock just make sure it has some records of regular maintenance being done. The engine itself is incredibly overbuilt and reliable. At 5K miles any sled likely needs clutch maintenance and wear parts replaced. Make sure it has not been in any accidents. Otherwise I would not hesitate to purchase a 1200 vs any two stroke at that mileage.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
5k miles motors just broken in. Look at some of the high mileage sleds like tic's at 20k miles, zero motor issues. At 5k it's clutch maintnance and suspension idlers and bushings like JD said. You already have a 1200, how's that one been, there's your comparison.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
2014 XR 1200X. 11,000 miles. Regular service changes only.

Sled has been flawless.

Don~
GFoGH

You planning on a valve adjustment any time soon? I'm at 11,600 miles and see the OEM recco is 12,500 miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts