Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of snow checking a Renegade and trying to decide on an engine. I ride 90% trail and 10% in fields. I'm only 170lbs and my main concern is noticing the extra 50 pounds up front. Any feedback will be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
1200. Do not let the extra weight bother. You should not even notice it on trail at all. The 1200 is the best trail sled skidoo has produced. When i made the jump to the 1200 i was worried about the same thing and my only regret today other than top end was i did not do it sooner.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I disagree, you will notice the weight difference. I am not saying its a hinderance, but if you jump off a 600 right onto a 1200 you will feel it. Both engines are very nice. The 1200 is probably the smoothest engine on the snow. Very comfortable all day cruiser with deceiving power. The 600 is nice as well and is a bit snappier as a 2 stroke should be. Cant go wrong either way. I find the strokes take a little bit of the fun factor out of riding. Just depends on your riding style.

·
Registered
224 Posts
1200 is a great engine. However the 900 ACE will be closer in power and weight to the 600 ETEC. 1200 will use more fuel to make more power than the other two.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
both good, performance is very close right up to top end, 600 is way better on fuel and feels/is way lighter, 1200 is a great high miler and should last longer.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I bought a 1200 and 600 X this year. As much as I like the pull of the 1200 the weight is a huge issue when the trails are beat up. Many folks on here compare the 1200 to the 800etec but without mods it struggles to beat a 600 on top end. They'll give me crap for saying that but I have both and traded the 1200x for a new 850 X. Don't see me going back to a 4 stroke any time soon.

This was my fourth 4 stroke starting with the Yamaha warrior and vector also an 09 and 16 1200 X. i prefer the lighter feel and fun factor of the etecs.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I went from an 09 600 etec to the 2016 1200 X. Big difference in weight. I'm a small fellow though. 5'6" and around 190lbs. The big 12 will tire me ought on a bumpy day but put a massive smile on my face every other day. I'm not getting rid of it this year. 12 Large and I have unfinished business.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Plenty of leftover '16 Renegade Adrenaline 1200 4-Tec and 600 E-Tec models around if you want to save some money.

·
Banned
59,630 Posts
I am a fan of the 600's.

How many miles a year.
How long will you keep
Do you do maintenance or dealer

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have both. 2007 600HO that is set up very well and a 2011 1200 renegade. Both sleds have power and handling upgrades. My wife insists on driving the 1200 because it is easier to drive. The 600 is more playful but the 1200 is just more stable all around, even in the rough stuff.

Reactions: skidont

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Cannot give you an exact comparison but I came off a string of Gade 600's and just sold my last one - 2013 Gade X 600 Etec two months ago for the Blizzard 1200. So first off I am bigger than you are at a fairly fit 225lbs so take all my comments with that in mind.

So beyond the weight difference I can say the 1200 outperforms the 600 Etec across the board. Torque advantage is the big one so corner to corner its better and on the lakes where my brother would leave me in the dust on his 800's I am right there with the 1200 unless we are running long distances at WOT - which for me is just not that often. In fact my brother bought a brand new 16' 800 XRS this year and was very surprised with the acceleration, top speed and mid range of my 1200. In fact as a long time Doo 800 buyer I would say he was fairly shocked. The Gade is an excellent chassis and I have loved every one of mine but the combo of the 1200 in the 129 is perfect for trail riding and again, I feel loses nothing in the handling or bump department. The X shocks were better on my most recent Gade but even stock the Blizzard is very good and I simply plan on putting some more aggressive shocks on after a few more miles on the stockers. Better shocks will only make it handle that much better.

Bottom line. Gade 600 Etec is an excellent sled. For the smaller rider that is much more impacted by 30-50 lbs its definitely the way to go for trail riding. If you need more top end just get the 800 (or better yet the new 850). If you desire the benefits of a four stroke (which I definitely do) then the 1200 becomes a very attractive option for the 600 class rider and the additional power is an added bonus. Good luck with your search.

Reactions: skidont

·
Registered
2022 renegade 600efi
97 Posts
This is the question that many have to toy with when buying a new sled. Its great that skidoo gives us the options and line up to make this choice. There are many factors to consider above and beyond your weight and whether you are a trail rider or off trail rider. Age, riding style, how long you want to keep a sled, your finances and on and on.

I am at a point and time in my life where I am probably buying my last sled. I want a sled that will last 10 or 15 years or better and since I dont put on the miles like I used to any more a 1200 seemed like the right choice for me. Its all a give and take no matter which way you go with either choice having advantages over the other in one way or another. I have had 2 strokes all my life and did go with an apex in 07 so I know what to expect with the weight of a 4 stroke but did go back to a 600 etec in 2010. I loved the power and light feel of the 600 but had a few problems with it and it was getting up there in miles a bit so here I am back on a 4 stroke.

I just cant afford to keep buying a new sled every 4 or 5 years anymore and need to budget my finances for other things now. These sleds are so dang expensive anymore I cant justify the expense for how much I ride. I am hoping that this 1200 will give many years of trouble free service.

Good luck with your decision but you cant go wrong either way!!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
haven't read all the other responses, but don't leave out the 900 ace, great trail sled, twisty, off trail unit for sure... not the punch of the 1200 on the big end, but will give the 1200 and any other up to 800+ cc sled you ride with fits in the tight stuff.... , the 600 will get by it at 80+mph, but awesome, 87 octane, no carrying oil go for a ride and have a blast doing it.... I like the 900 so much off trail, I am building a 900 freeride (900) section.... to suit my needs next season...

I have a 16' 1200 xrs I put together also,,,,,,,,,,, awesome in the trails and bumps... dont want a 2 stroke for that after riding this thing...

In the end, it is your money, get the sled that you WANT.... if you can afford it, go with your gut, you have a bunch of great choices to pick from... oh, and the 600 is a pretty cool sled too.......

·
life is short, live long
29,081 Posts
I was going to mention the 900. Im guessing the weight would fall between 6 and 12 hundreds, but not sure how much lighter it is than the 12. Every post I read about the 900 is glowing. Seems to be a great sled.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
While the 900 Gade is an option, unfortunately it would have to be an Adrenaline model because Doo is just plain stupid to continue to not offer it an X package.

A 17' Gade X 1200 is listed as 518lbs on the spec sheet. A Gade Adren 900 Ace is 503. That's only 15lbs difference but from my perspective that is nothing compared to the performance bump you get with the 1200. Definitely go the 1200 Gade X route for a spring order. Better everything including resale.

My Blizzard 1200 is listed as 527lbs and the 900 version is 507lbs. While I have to say I did consider the 20lb difference for $650 more the 1200 has been a much better choice and I really like my 900 Ace Gade.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I drove a four stroke for five years and bought a 2016 Enduro 800 this year and really enjoyed the lighter sled and air shock on the Enduro.

I will snowcheck in 2018 if they put the air shock in the new chassis and it will be the 2 stroke 850.

the only reason I would see to go four stroke is if you are a high miler and the new 850 will address that issue if it's as advertised.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts