Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting the itch to upgrade and I'm curious if any of you 1200 guys go off trail at all. How does the heavier machine perform? I'm definitely more of a trail guy, mostly because my buddies like to pound miles, but I'd like to have a machine that can go off trail without worry at times. Thanks in advance for your comments...

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Full skid plate and 6.9" skis or similar help ... On a similar note, the 900 gade does surprisingly well off trail, probably won't get you to the high mark on the mountain, but does trail and off trail quite good

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
It would help if you define what you mean by off trail. If its off trail here in the midwest get a Gade chassis with whatever motor fits the bill for you. It will handle anything this area can throw at it. If you are talking the steep and deep then a mountain chassis is the ticket and then its an 800 Etec.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would help if you define what you mean by off trail. If its off trail here in the midwest get a Gade chassis with whatever motor fits the bill for you. It will handle anything this area can throw at it. If you are talking the steep and deep then a mountain chassis is the ticket and then its an 800 Etec.
Yeah, I guess I mean flatlanders off trail. If I go to the mountains I'll rent a mountain sled. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Yeah, I guess I mean flatlanders off trail. If I go to the mountains I'll rent a mountain sled. Thanks for the feedback!
Did not see that you already have a Gade so you are very familiar with its off trail capability around these parts. If you are happy with the Gade I would not hesitate to get another and if you are contemplating going with the 1200 over a 600 Etec - just Doo it! I think the 600 Etec is a phenomenal power plant but the 1200 is so much better in every way. The difference in off trail handling will be minimal and on trail its no comparison. At least it has been for me.....

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did not see that you already have a Gade so you are very familiar with its off trail capability around these parts. If you are happy with the Gade I would not hesitate to get another and if you are contemplating going with the 1200 over a 600 Etec - just Doo it! I think the 600 Etec is a phenomenal power plant but the 1200 is so much better in every way. The difference in off trail handling will be minimal and on trail its no comparison. At least it has been for me.....
Just the answer I was looking for, good to know. Now I'll have to start working on the wife so I can get into the 1200. I really, really like the 600, but I think the maintenance and reliability of a 4 stroke would be nice. We'll see!!!!

·
Registered
963 Posts
You won't be disappointed with a new 1200 off trail in the flatlands. Like mentioned, put 6.9's on and maybe a 1.5" track and don't look back at the 600. The 1200 is a torque monster! I like it much better than my '15 800 from last year.

·
Registered
821 Posts
2016 1200 gade. It's no summit, but it does just fine off trail.

I also don't notice any throttle lag or engine braking. I even load it on my trailer in the super touchy sport mode. No problem but I don't blip my throttle. ????

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Ive ran a 1.75 back country track, now running a 1.6ice cobra on my 1200 rene, with 6.9 pilots, in comparison to my 800 rene off trail it snow plows on turns more,not as accurate to turn and shoot, and if it gets stuck, then you feel that nose weight alot more, but I have agreat time with mine, just got to be smart, they arent the sled to carve between trees on a hill

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Got to try a 1200 blizzard in waste deep snow yesterday after missing a corner , Stopped put in ECO mode and drove out without issue . with wider skis and longer track / deeper lug should be good enough to have fun with

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Guys, are you gearing down with the 1.75 tracks and if so what did you gear down to? Thanx

1 - 20 of 31 Posts