Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if i can install a 12V outlet on my 800HO?
No Battery on machine. Just want the outlet for my GPS or Cell Phone.
will this work?
What connection do i use?
etc.

Thanx

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
Their should be a pair of connectors dangling for 12v accessories, depending on the wattage of the devices your using you may or may not be alright.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you want this outlet for a gps or cellphone you will want to put a decent regulator and a filter capacitor. You can get a 12v 3 terminal regulator and a filter capacitor of about 500mf / 16v should do you ( since the 3 terminal regulator will have a lot of ripple rejection in the circuit ) and a 6A diode or bridge rectifier - from an electronics supply. Otherwise you could just put a small battery, like a dirt bike battery, and connect it to the sleds electrical system with a diode to keep it charged. then connect the accessory outlet to the battery. This will provide regulation, ripple rejection and a power source without the sled running.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx for the info so far!
I checked voltage output of an accessory connection i found and it ran around 8.5-9.0 VDC at idle once up to speed it produced a solid 12-12.5VDC
has anyone actually done this thou and have you had any problems?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Did you measure the ripple? ( depending on your meter - set it to AC volts and see what it says. On some meters you may have to put a capacitor in series with the meter to take this measurement ). If this is in the order of 0.05V or less, then you should be ok without a filter. Otherwise I would add a filter.
If you follow the fuse ( F-12 on my SDI wiring diagram, sorry I don't have the one for your sled ) and have the factory installed capacitor, you should be ok with power from the terminal of the cap, or where it leads to the fuse box.

Yota said:
thanx for the info so far!
I checked voltage output of an accessory connection i found and it ran around 8.5-9.0 VDC at idle once up to speed it produced a solid 12-12.5VDC
has anyone actually done this thou and have you had any problems?

[snapback]700285[/snapback]​

·
Registered
151 Posts
You don't need to install a regulator or filter capacitor, just find the two accessory wires under the consol on the right side (throttle side). One black and one red. They are protected by the fuses found on the left side of the sled.

I've been using this set-up for the past 3 years without a problem, it powers my GPS when the sled is running.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
joevella said:
Sorry if I approach this from the point of view of an engineer.

[snapback]700447[/snapback]​
Your response was good, technical, but good, kind of what i was looking for. If i, myself, wasn't an electrical Engineer you might have lost me.

thanx

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Irondog said:
You don't need to install a regulator or filter capacitor, just find the two accessory wires under the consol on the right side (throttle side). One black and one red. They are protected by the fuses found on the left side of the sled.

I've been using this set-up for the past 3 years without a problem, it powers my GPS when the sled is running.
[snapback]700317[/snapback]​
Great post w/ pic, awesome!
So you are running this w/o a battery? if so, thats good and i will be installing it asap.

just to the rear in your pic i believe you will have another 12V supply, i assume this is for a heated visor. It has smaller connectors and i believe a smaller guage wire, still same colors thou. this is wear i am planning to connect it any ways
any thoughts

thanx

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I was also warned of the Fluctuation if the current, so don't be suprised if a cell phone gets fried. I know heated Visors and stuff don't care if they have a regulated power.

·
Registered
566 Posts
It is wise to check the input voltage requirements of whatever you're trying to plug in. GPS units seem to be very tolerant of input voltage. The GPS76CS, for example, can accept 10-32VDC. Electrical noise is not a good thing but I think that GPS units are designed well enough that it's not critical. I'm no EE though. No problems with my GPS-V plugged into existing 12VDC connectors on my non-ES Rev.

Jon
'03 Rev 600 Sport

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good to hear, i wanted the 12V supply for my GPS (Lowrance H2O) mainly and maybe my cell phone if in a jam.

Thanx for the post

How much is the 12V outlet kit from BRP?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts