Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
I came off a slight hill the other night and punched the throttle, something made a funny noise when my skiis were in the air, then after that I could only go 25 mph or my sled would vibrate really bad, could feel it in my feel on the tunnel and any faster i felt like something was gonna blow. So I looked it over and all bogey bearings etc all seem good, drivers look good (they are 10 tooth 2.52 square toothed drivers) and nothing in the skid seemed to be out of line. I tried to wiggle the driveshaft thinking maybe one of the bearings were bad, but it is solid, maybe the track tension helped to hold it in place though, not sure. Anyway, i took it into the dealership and the mechanic took it for a ride with the belt side panel and cover off. He said the helix was moving all over and back ad forth because one bolt on the back of the secondary was missing and another was lose (referring to the four bolts that tighten into the helix). It has a cudney racing clutch kit on it. I replaced those two bolts with hex heads instead of torque heads so that I could tighten them with a ratcheting wrench, and then took it out for a spin, now i could get to 40 mph before it shook. So not sure whats going on here...everything seems solid?! could 2 hex heads and 2 OEM torque heads in the secondary cause it to be out of alignment or something? any ideas would be appreciated.. thanks! also, the belt only has like 50 miles on it and is not worn at all.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Did you add loc-tite to your bolts when you torqued them down? Otherwise they vibratedand became loose under load.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Could be your primary clutch was re-assembled incorrectly at one time and then re-installed on sled crankshaft incorrectly as well.

there is a very specific procedure that must be followed when working on clutches.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I dont think thats the case though, it has had no issues for the 700 miles this season, then first 50 miles that day there were no issues as well, then went into bar and when came back out and went off that hill, thats when stuff started to go wrong.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found the issue.. Apparently the OTHER two bolts on the back of secondary that go into the helix rattled loose... i replaced those with hex heads as well, and put some red loctite on them. I rode it 30 miles hard with no issues! i checked them again afterwards though, and they seem to have budged just a tad loose again but not enough to notice while driving. Is there anyway to prevent this from happening again other than red loctite? i think itll probly hold now.. just need more loctite i guess!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts