Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it would be interesting to know of how many 1000 sdi's went down, what year, how many miles and what if any mods were done to them. By a quick count I have counted 13.

Spike

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
SPIKE said:
I think it would be interesting to know of how many 1000 sdi's went down, what year, how many miles and what if any mods were done to them. By a quick count I have counted 13.

Spike
[snapback]738828[/snapback]​
Last year everyone was saying this motor was bullet proof, and no one was having problems. Do you think the up dates have anything to do with all the engine failures?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
05 with ~4000 miles,
Only engine mod is Cudney domes, put on 1800 miles ago at seasons start.
05 mapping with 1.3 deg advance.
I use Klotz oil and am on the 6th gallon this year. It's consuming oil.....
Mag side let go (there's ZERO compression) at 40-50mph riding in 8-10" fresh snow across Trout Lake North Bay. Temp was -8C.
On a side note I've also been noticing more and more vibration in the engine/sled in the last few hundred miles.... maybe it's just my imagination, but I don't think so.
I left it at the dealer's yesterday at 9AM and am still waiting to hear from them.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
So domes and a 1.3 degree advance? To me that sounds like trouble waiting to happen, right about where the ignition is starting to advance and run hot. These sleds stock run hot in the mid and you added timing so maybe the combo of domes and timing was the issue with your sled? I have 5200 miles on mine, head bolts have never been out, and I'm running a sh&% load of nitrous through it every ride, no engine problems. To much timing with domes in MY opinion would be a bad thing with pump gas.

·
SkiDoo Guru
19,335 Posts
sure is beginning to sound like the cranks are getting out of phase ???maybe that is why brp doesn"t use a primary clutch with splines where it meets the gov. cup ??? This might also be why they stop pulling hard on top end ? the 98 srx had the same problem ,first you felt the vibration in the handle bars ,next no top end then the motor blew up ...just something to think about!!!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
andy670ho said:
So domes and a 1.3 degree advance? To me that sounds like trouble waiting to happen, right about where the ignition is starting to advance and run hot. These sleds stock run hot in the mid and you added timing so maybe the combo of domes and timing was the issue with your sled? I have 5200 miles on mine, head bolts have never been out, and I'm running a sh&% load of nitrous through it every ride, no engine problems. To much timing with domes in MY opinion would be a bad thing with pump gas.
[snapback]738977[/snapback]​
I agree, any 2 stroke sled runs hotter EGT's mid range
Domes didn't add compression, if anything it dropped, and the 1.3 is the total advance, not added advance....
Maybe that was what caused my issue, but I don't think so.

Before domes, Mag side:
View attachment 49511

After Domes, Mag side:

Mag_side1.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
krm said:
sure is beginning to sound like the cranks are getting out of phase ???maybe that is why brp doesn"t use a primary clutch with splines where it meets the gov. cup ??? This might also be why they stop pulling hard on top end ? the 98 srx had the same problem ,first you felt the vibration in the handle bars ,next no top end then the motor blew up ...just something to think about!!!
[snapback]739002[/snapback]​
I remember helping pull downa fleet of SRX's to do cranks back in the day. I think 4000 miles might be on the edge of service life for this engine no? how many hrs? I remember BRP saying 300hrs or something. I also think alot ofthese guys popping low mileage engines areones who have been playing with the oil pump or have had the pump adjusted by the dealer ontheupdate thats why doo is covering them.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There has to be more to it than 4000 miles when guys like Early Rider and Castor have put 10000 plus on there 05's without grief.

Come on guys there are a lot more of you out there or is there?????? So far I went and counted 13 so that is more than 10 percent if the sales numbers - 1000 units sold - I heard are correct.

Spike

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
1Gunner said:
05 with ~4000 miles,
Only engine mod is Cudney domes, put on 1800 miles ago at seasons start.
05 mapping with 1.3 deg advance.
I use Klotz oil and am on the 6th gallon this year. It's consuming oil.....
Mag side let go (there's ZERO compression) at 40-50mph riding in 8-10" fresh snow across Trout Lake North Bay. Temp was -8C.
On a side note I've also been noticing more and more vibration in the engine/sled in the last few hundred miles.... maybe it's just my imagination, but I don't think so.
I left it at the dealer's yesterday at 9AM and am still waiting to hear from them.
[snapback]738943[/snapback]​
I got your same set up,and out on a lake of 6" of powder in a cruise of 6800 rpm's I have seen 1270 on the egt's on the Mag side as well.This is the only time I seen this ,on hard packed it is safe. Also a oil consumtion record should be kept all the time to be safe.How many things can contribute to a seizure,lack of oil,lean fuel,detonation and mechanical breakage and a overheated moter or cold sieze 4 corner.My dealer had my oil pump set at 24 mm total and good thing I measured it out,it was 58:1 so I richened it up.I bet 1Gunner your eghaust side of piston may be melted away,especially with no compression.Keep us posted.SPIKE maybe we need a survey for the ones who blew the motor.I think this summer the engine is coming out and the top end is gona get a dimentinal check.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A freind of mine had his engine go down seams like the crank,motor is stock with 05 map, timing advance 1 degree, 3000 miles. Is BRP covering these engines under warranty or are they doing anything it is an 05 sled?

·
Registered
395 Posts
SPIKE said:

Spike
[snapback]738828[/snapback]​
when you post this stuff why not do more research and find out total units sold in the given year then you will have some real numbers of interest to everyone

·
Registered
395 Posts
SPIKE said:
There has to be more to it than 4000 miles when guys like Early Rider and Castor have put 10000 plus on there 05's without grief.

Come on guys there are a lot more of you out there or is there?????? So far I went and counted 13 so that is more than 10 percent if the sales numbers - 1000 units sold - I heard are correct.

Spike
[snapback]739133[/snapback]​
you need to go back to school 13 out of 1000 is 1.3% 13 out of 100 is 13.0%

·
Registered
395 Posts
i wish there was a way to verify all of the stats, as i recall brp shot for a 2% failer rate which was supposedly the best in the industry, if your numbers are correct rangelec i think the 1000 is pretty much bullet proof as advertized. you read so much crap on here youd think 1 out of 2 is blowing up. now take into account the idiots like the kid who gets to take dads sled and puts motor oil in it, the new people that buy sleds just because the neighbors have them and dont have a clue. and then the guys that dick with things they dont understand. all in all i think there better then the other three in total quality

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Even though mine was one of the 13 that blew up I agree with you. Someone has to draw the short straw!! There are other motors that have blown-another 05 at the local dealership went down last weekend-about 3000 miles with zero mods. That makes 3 out of the 15 or so that he sold and/or serviced last year. There are more failures than what shows up on dootalk-we may think every Doo owner knows about dootalk but we are in the minority. Mine was zero mods also-oil related.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Blue Rodeo said:
Back to my question what is BRP doing about blown engines ?
[snapback]760075[/snapback]​
BRP has offered to pay for parts and I'm paying for labour, which is fair on my 05 I guess.

the down side, ...........almost all the parts are all on BO until the end of March.....

Upside........somebody gets an 05 with a new engine....

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
I was told last year the 2005 Mach Z had a 10 percent failure rate. This year????????????????

Spike

ps - no need to go back to school with those failure rate numbers. You tell me what you learned at school with that failure rate????? My bad on the first math but that is/was not the point.

·
Registered
63 Posts
kerry1355 said:
SPIKE said:

Spike
[snapback]739133[/snapback]​
you need to go back to school 13 out of 1000 is 1.3% 13 out of 100 is 13.0%
[snapback]759503[/snapback]​
Your a pretty nice guy huh, why don't you read the question and respond with useful information............if not then dont' worry about it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The only sales numbers I can verify are from my own dealer....... 8 05 1000 SDIs sold and 10 06 1000 SDIs sold, 0 blown motors as of Mar 11/06.... I know these numbers are a small% of total sales but still out of 16 machines that were purchased for 1 reason only it sounds pretty good to me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts