Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ride about 200 miles this weekend broke about 6 more lugs this track obvi having issues. Ordered 1.5 viper putting screw in studs in it. Dealer is covering labor and studs.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
FYI the new 1.5 Ripper is an excellent track and hooks in all conditions, very impressed with it so far and I will go as far to say the best track I've had, much much better than the 1.6 ice cobra, just an FYI for people looking for a replacement

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Ice Cobra is to soft to use as a trail track, better suited for off trail use.

Bob

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I refuse to believe that snow and ice building up inside a tunnel should cause track failure. The tracks HAVE to be able to last in this environment. If a track is failing it's either not designed right or it's using defective or inferior materials. Sleds have been using tunnel mounted heat exchangers for many years. This is nothing new. The widespread use of 1.5" lugs IS relatively new. To call the g4 defective because of ice building up is simply incorrect.

Reactions: thinksno

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
I refuse to believe that snow and ice building up inside a tunnel should cause track failure. The tracks HAVE to be able to last in this environment. If a track is failing it's either not designed right or it's using defective or inferior materials. Sleds have been using tunnel mounted heat exchangers for many years. This is nothing new. The widespread use of 1.5" lugs IS relatively new. To call the g4 defective because of ice building up is simply incorrect.
Poor design or not, I've been riding 40 years and never had ice buildup in the tunnel like I do on the G4.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Wink, you and I must be about the same age. My first memory of significant ice buildup in my sled tunnels was on the PRS SkiDoos. My 92 Mach1 would dump out a block of ice that I'd run over and I'd think "what? I didn't see any bump?". Ha didn't take too long to figure it out. Subsequent sleds did the same thing. I just accepted it as normal and I just ride them. Drop the back of the sled a few times, try to get out what I can and go.

My point about the tracks is that up till now the longest lugs on a trail sled from the factory we're 1.25". Now with the longer lugs a problem has developed. I don't see how a tunnel design can be blamed. What Doo and/or track maker's should be working on is a way to correct the problem by making the moving parts able to clear a path through the buildup. Most if not all of the other tracks have been able to do so. The 1.6ic appears to be the exception.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
I think it's a combination of the ice build up in the G4 and the soft rubber of the ice cobra. Some are saying there was a bad batch of tracks and that may be. I have 3000 miles of trail riding on mine and no torn lugs. I do however use a rubber mallet and knock the ice out of my tunnel after every time we take a break. All that being said, I would not buy this track again, too much hassle.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts