Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has experienced lug damage and or delamination of lugs on their 1.6 Ice Cobra track? I have 3 or 4 missing lugs(all on the outside and either side)none in the middle. I rode about 2500 miles last year(mostly trail)and didn't notice the damage till season end when I went to clean and summerize the sleds. Is this normal? I am very disappointed! I have 3 other sleds with 6 times the mileage as this one(2019 Renegade X 850)and no missing lugs or damage. The only difference is that the other sleds only have 1.25 lugs. Ski-Doo was of absolutely no help....deemed to not be a warranty or manufacturer defect. Any input would be helpful as I DON'T want to replace the track and have the same thing occur!

·
Registered
740 Posts
I had one replaced under warranty. The track plus 1/2 installation. My friend had the same thing same track. i've never had a track loose lugs before this one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had one replaced under warranty. The track plus 1/2 installation. My friend had the same thing same track. i've never had a track loose lugs before this one.
How did you get it replaced under warranty? I made a claim to Ski-Doo and they flat out denied me....I sent pics and all.....NO HELP!

·
Banshee Builder
7,870 Posts
How did you get it replaced under warranty? I made a claim to Ski-Doo and they flat out denied me....I sent pics and all.....NO HELP!
yep same here man! i tried with 4000miles on the track an about 6 lugs completely missing, they said they put a claim in for a customer with 2000miles and missing lugs and got denied also

·
Looking for the Hot Tub...
7,044 Posts
Wife has had 2 of them on her sleds now and no issues at all, no lugs ripped/delam or any damage. I think its tough for them to make that call, they cant prove or disprove your riding conditions which greatly impact the life of the track, we rode pretty much in good snow or was really cold when low snow, could be why we didnt see any issues? You said it was late season what was those conditions like?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had 1 tear off on the outside lugs and didn’t se it till I was about to trade it in. Filed a claim with skidoo through the dealer but no luck. In the end I bought a 1.25 “ track from tracks USA & the dealer installed no charge. Thank god for a good dealer.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have one on my 18 gade 850. I love the track and it's in great condition with 2500 miles. There have been lots of people that had issues like you. Some suggested a bad batch of tracks????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
535 Posts
Do a search, tons of discussion about this last year. Some replaced, some denied... seems to be a defect in a run of them.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Started to notice missing lugs this past winter, not something I have happened on previous sleds. Going to dealer and of month for recall and said he will see what can be done about track,said I was not the only one having this problem

·
Registered
740 Posts
Cobra tracks are Camoplast company tracks. They know the run that was subject to destruction. To me they should recall everyone who got that track on their sled and then give them something. Everyone of those tracks will eventually self destruct prematurely. Some will find out the same year like me and others who drive far less in one year may sell it to someone down the road who will then find out. There should be some sort of class action suit against Camoplast over this. I've personally seen three of these racks losing lugs. Mine and two of my buddies. I've also seen them hold together pretty good as well if you get a good one. It's a shame the track has a bad reputation now and Camoplast are doing not too much to make amends.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cobra tracks are Camoplast company tracks. They know the run that was subject to destruction. To me they should recall everyone who got that track on their sled and then give them something. Everyone of those tracks will eventually self destruct prematurely. Some will find out the same year like me and others who drive far less in one year may sell it to someone down the road who will then find out. There should be some sort of class action suit against Camoplast over this. I've personally seen three of these racks losing lugs. Mine and two of my buddies. I've also seen them hold together pretty good as well if you get a good one. It's a shame the track has a bad reputation now and Camoplast are doing not too much to make amends.
This issue has nothing to due with a bad batch of tracks from Camso. The issue is due to two things, one is poor design of heat exchanges/tunnels on the gen 4 chassis that causes excessive icing on the sides of the tunnel which rips the tracks apart and the second issue is that the Cobra tracks are a soft rubber that is not designed to hold up when repeatedly hitting the ice inside the tunnel. The best thing that you can do is get a different track that is tougher like a Ripsaw 2 1.5". Look inside your tunnel after riding for a few hours on a cold day and you will see all of the ice built up on the sides.

·
Registered
740 Posts
This issue has nothing to due with a bad batch of tracks from Camso. The issue is due to two things, one is poor design of heat exchanges/tunnels on the gen 4 chassis that causes excessive icing on the sides of the tunnel which rips the tracks apart and the second issue is that the Cobra tracks are a soft rubber that is not designed to hold up when repeatedly hitting the ice inside the tunnel. The best thing that you can do is get a different track that is tougher like a Ripsaw 2 1.5". Look inside your tunnel after riding for a few hours on a cold day and you will see all of the ice built up on the sides.
Maybe this is why I liked my 150 storm 2 ply so much last year. The shorter outside lugs are less susceptible to tearing off. Skidoo should clue in and start offering us some better track options and stop using the 1.6 cobra altogether on the G4 chassis.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Maybe this is why I liked my 150 storm 2 ply so much last year. The shorter outside lugs are less susceptible to tearing off. Skidoo should clue in and start offering us some better track options and stop using the 1.6 cobra altogether on the G4 chassis.
At least for the MXZ and Renegades for 2020 there was no Ice Cobra option, a new 1.5 Ice Ripper replaced it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have tore lugs off on 2 tracks now with my 18 MXZ XRS. While i was at Haydays i talked to the Camoplast rep and he told me they have found it is from ice build up in the tunnel of the 850's. He said it is worse on the right side than the left, which is exactly what i have experienced. I do almost all trail riding, my tracks have been studded and never remembered hitting anything. My original track the 1.6 Ice cobra i ran one year 2500 miles. it had about 25 missing lugs when i took it off.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts