Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We now have 3 09 1200s in the stable so I'm trying to compile a complete list of all the updates recommended for them. I've been doing search after search, but mainly get post saying to use the search function. Can you guys help me compile this list. I think I have a good start. Besides the part numbers, links to "how to" threads and youtube videos would be good to have also.

Here is what I have so far:

Oil cooler update kit (no cooler) - 415129557
Oil cooler (need to change on 09's) - 420891912
Water pump gear, 34 tooth - 420835061
Water pump gear, 17 tooth - 420835062
Water pump gasket - 420430760
Valve cover gasket - 420431040
Napa fuel filter (cheap replacement) - 3095
- Use 5/16" I.D. fuel filter clamps (1/2" - 9/16")

Valve cover leak fix - http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/429022-oil-leaking-from-valve-cover/

Oil cooler install "how to" - http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/498174-changing-oil-cooler-how-to/

·
boost junkie
10,598 Posts
3095 is the inline fuel filter

the inline filter is not the problem its the tank filter/sock

and the stock inline filter is a screen type so it can easily be cleaned and reused

415129451 from ski doo is the in tank sock filter which is much larger than the stock 09

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

Just to confirm, the oil cooler update kit with the thinker cover will NOT fit the 09 cooler??? Do update an 09 you need the new cooler plus the update kit???

·
Registered
366 Posts
I just did mine. Its new cooler and a plate with orings and a new gasket.

Getting the gasket in there is like playing operation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good morning

I am tacking two fixes on my 2009 gtx 1200, oi/ coolant upgrade the valve cover gasket fix.

tried to remove the valve cover but have difficult getting it out and think I disturbed another gasket or divider inside valve cover?? Do the valves require setting on this engine after 2000 km?

Will loosen up more wiring harness above cover and try again.

I happen to read the post on removing the valve cover spacers after messing with it and realizing the need to shave 25 thousands off the 8 tightening spacers, I had bought a new gasket which may be 25 tho + thicker, not sure whether to still shave off some thickness on valve cover spacers??

Does the 2009 absolutely require a new cooler with the update kit?

THanks for al the info, builds a touch of confidence

·
Registered
877 Posts
Been asking for this list to be put in the FAQ section for four years. Instead, the moderators put videos of themselves being timed performing normal maintenance. This list has been put together before, a couple times.

Anyway, here is what I believe to be the 5 most likely needed updates for an 09. This does not include the stator, which went bad on a very few number of sleds and is not nearly as easy or cheap as these five:

1. Valve cover insert mod for better gasket compression
2. Oil cooler update
3. Rear suspension idler wheel fasteners ( replace rivets with bolts)
4. Fuel intake sock
5. Water pump gear

Perform a search on each of the above and you'll get the info needed. On a personal note, I would also add replacement of the junk primary clutch with a dependable Powerblock 80 from CV Tech, but that's not specific to the 09s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Valve cover off and back on again, (and also shaved the 8 compression spacers by .025"), with tons of patience. I could not see any difference in the new gasket and the old. The exhaust manifold has to come off, went and bought a 1/4 inch drive universal to get bottom nuts off manifod studs, which I shoud have had years ago. Then roll the cover down toward the front of the engine slowy bring it out the magneto side rasing the timing gear side of the cover up about 30 degeress and it will sneek under the top frame support bar. Same going back in, how they design these unique features is amazing!

Water pump upgade went okay and is well described in the above write ups and all notes are muchly appreciated.

·
The man without a plan!
961 Posts
Thanks,

Just to confirm, the oil cooler update kit with the thinker cover will NOT fit the 09 cooler??? Do update an 09 you need the new cooler plus the update kit???
I just did mine. Its new cooler and a plate with orings and a new gasket.

Getting the gasket in there is like playing operation.
Im getting ready to order the new cooler, what the verdict, do I need the update kit as well?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Valve cover off and back on again, (and also shaved the 8 compression spacers by .025"), with tons of patience. I could not see any difference in the new gasket and the old. The exhaust manifold has to come off, went and bought a 1/4 inch drive universal to get bottom nuts off manifod studs, which I shoud have had years ago. Then roll the cover down toward the front of the engine slowy bring it out the magneto side rasing the timing gear side of the cover up about 30 degeress and it will sneek under the top frame support bar. Same going back in, how they design these unique features is amazing!

Water pump upgade went okay and is well described in the above write ups and all notes are muchly appreciated.
FYI I could see the difference in my new vs. old gasket. The new one had a small wedge molded into it half way between each bolt hole. I imagine this wedge kept the gasket from retreating back up into the valve cover. It was almost like adding more bolts. It took me a while to spot the difference.

·
Stay to the right, in your lane and slow down.
1,526 Posts
So to update the 2009 can i no simply order the 2014 parts and call it good or do order the 2012 cooler, plate, gasket, O-rings and such?

2014 parts here:

Gasket

$37.99

Oil Radiator

$81.99

Flanged Torx Screw M6 X 25

$2.99

2012 Parts here:

Gasket * superseded by SKIDOO-420431283

$37.99

Plate

$24.99

O-Ring

$2.23

Oil Radiator * superseded by SKIDOO-420891913

$81.99

Flanged Torx Screw M6 X 25

$2.99

·
Stay to the right, in your lane and slow down.
1,526 Posts
Looking this over, I am wondering why BRP would pancake a cooler to the block vs threaded fittings and [ressure braided lines to a high quality oil cooler? Could even use the same cooler just tap it with fittings and lines?

·
boost junkie
10,598 Posts
the block is set up to use a O-ring gasket

IMO the problem is/has been the 3 bolt hold down system, not the O-rings or the cooler

instead of changing the casting to fix it right, they just patched it

the valve cover does not need to come off the motor to fix the leaks

just remove the brass spacers only (under every bolt), mill them and replace... very easy fix

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
These aren't listed, but keep mindful.

New oil pump gears (if engine out and magneto cover is off)

Oil tank o-rings (If engine is out)

Magneto (big chunk of change)

Oil filter (only mentioning because the part number changed. New one has a check valve)

Clutch (very, very noisy).

At one time the XR's had a ECU update and a clutch bolt.

·
Registered
815 Posts
ok, sounds good, i am going to have to do some research and see if the dealer will take care of any of these updates, (doesnt hurt to ask). why were the magneto's updated? this sled he bought has like 350 miles on it or something ridiculously low like that and the guy obviously never even changed the oil so im guessing none of this stuff was ever updated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I seconded the motion for this to be 'stickied' in the 4tec FAQ section. I just purchased an 09 and I started almost the exact same thread.. I had looked for something like this in the FAQ section before starting my thread. (Lots of Great information being shared regarding the 09s, be great to have a single place to find it)

Because this is the 'first year for the 1200' that is why, i think it warrants a sticky - other years have most fixes already looked after (so I understand from reading doo-talk)

Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts