Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 600rs back together after melting it down last year. It runs great, besides it bogs just slightly when I go from 0 to wot (which it did last year before I blew it up). Im running 300 jets, and 2nd clip from the top 40:1 and fresh fuel. I feel like my plugs are still reading lean. I appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I will do the 32:1 mix. The engine has a brand new top end, less then a mile on it. I turned it over by hand it feel like its got great compression (i know, bad way to tel but i don't have a compression gauge). Next question, this sled came with the air box delete and has K&N filters instead. The filters have seen better days. Would that have any effect on it running lean?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
If anything it would make it too fat as the added air restriction. And not compression test. Block the intakes and exhaust and pressure test the engine to see if you have any seal leaks like a bearing seal or any air leaking into the engine where it shouldn't be. If you already found the reason for the failure go up to a 310 main and do a couple plug chop tests and see if your bog goes away. what do you have your air mixture screw set at? Are the jets clean? Hot start disconnected? Reed boots cracked?

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Fresh Open K/N filters will flow more air than a airbox setup,,and need more jet

When was the plug removed? After a hispeed run or just random after idled to the garage?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I rebuilt the top end, I also split the case and replaced both crank seals. It has brand new seals and gasket through the whole motor. So I didn't try a leak down test yet. I believe the reason for the failure last year was poor fuel, and not enough jet. It was -5 that day also. My air mixture screw is 1 turn out, the carbs were just cleaned, hot start disconnected, and the boots are in good shape. I just bumped the jets up to 320s. After I do a tps relearn, I will take it out again. And those plugs were after a few pulls in the field, and pulled back into the shop.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
OK. I seem to remember reading about the 09's having a hotter ecm program. I could be mistaken but see what the 320's will do. You should be able to monitor egt temp on the dash. 975°to 1075° is a good range to shoot for.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just took it out again with the 320. Still runs great, but not a big difference, if any, on the plugs. I wasn't paying attention to my egts, because its failing. It readshould 2200 and the cel comes on. It also reads that at idle from time to time

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just took it out again with the 320. Still runs great, but not a big difference, if any, on the plugs. I wasn't paying attention to my egts, because its failing. It readshould 2200 and the cel comes on. It also reads that at idle from time to time

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Your ecm does control the fuel solenoids on the side of the carbs with data from rpm air temp and egt temp. You may want to address the egt sensor issue. 2200 is the default high limit of the sensor. Check the wires to the sensor look for any damage to the connector spread pins etc. If the fuel solenoids are not working correctly it will cause a lean condition.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now that you say that, it blew up last year after a few days of that sensor started going crazy. I wasn't aware that was an input for the ecu.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
The rs doesn't have much for sensor input. Air temp, rpm, egt temp, and coolant temp. It's pretty simple system. When I got my rs I had the dealer hook up to it to make sure the ecm was seeing the solinoids as I didn't want an issue with them. There are alot of guys on here that know far more than me about this. Not sure if there is a way to ohm the sensor to see if its working or shorted let alone find a spec for it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Don't a lot of guys hard jet the earlier RS sleds due to power jet failures? I think most end up with 360 or so on jets with the power jet disconnected. You may want to do some research and see if that's an option you may want to do. I'm still new to the RS scene so I don't have any experience with this, and my sled is using the power jet, but it may be something worth checking into.

I would certainly want the egt gauge working though. In addition to what Snyperxrs said, It's your first red flag that something might be wrong if your temps go too high. I have my gauge set with them on all the time.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts