Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 08 MXZ X 800r power-Tek. It will not charge the battery to more then 11.5v. The sled will pull start and run fine. If I disconnect the battery and put my meter on it the voltage jumps around, I am kind of surprised it will run. I have a shop manual and went through all the checks and then some. I ohmed out the harness and unplugged some things things, i could find any problems. I replaced the stator because book says bad stator if voltage low, new stator had no effect. The next thing I did was replace the voltage regulator, which had no effect. I am to the point where I do no know what to do next. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
28,128 Posts
Check voltage at 20A fuses, but keep the belt guard on and tuck in loose clothe.

·
Premium Member
28,128 Posts
The idea is to check the voltage on both sides of the relay,

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2 cents from owning one of these sleds... My voltage is always all over the place. New regulator and new stator in my sled also. My led headlights usually don't even turn on when the sled is first started until you increase the rpms. On occasion if the sled idles for an extended period my lights even go out. Point being the voltage on my sled is also way low at low rpm but it is fine while the sled is running. Has not caused me any issues. Heated helmet, grips, lights, everything seems fine. I don't know that there is a fix for this on these sleds.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I think I did check voltage at 20 amp. Fuse
Think and did are different.

Listen to daag and log/post your findings. It is a process of elimination.

You have to eliminate each item and write it down. Otherwise you will continue to go around in circles, not remembering what you did or didn't check.

Start at the basics and move your way through the circuits. Post your findings. Thx

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
28,128 Posts
Think and did are different.

Listen to daag and log/post your findings. It is a process of elimination.

You have to eliminate each item and write it down. Otherwise you will continue to go around in circles, not remembering what you did or didn't check.

Start at the basics and move your way through the circuits. Post your findings. Thx

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
It would be a good thing to look at each individually. There are too many two strokes that are not running right. I raise the idle for better power output, but this can exacerbate other problems that were already there like hanging idles from worn-out carb sides, and backfires from troubled crank position sensors. When things get rough, I pull out the multimeter and even the timing light, otherwise I am troubleshooting with a blindfold. Push to shove I take measurements from another sled to compare.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts