Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, i was wondering if someone would be able to help me with a fuel consumption issue I am having with my sled.

its a 2008 800r ptek summit and its just burning way too much fuel.

Ive done a complete clean of the carbs and everything seems to be functioning right, I'm not sure what jets might be in it because the last owner didnt know.

When driving the skidoo it seems to operate fine. Lower rpms seem good, I does seem a little sluggish on the righter rpms when holding it there for a while. but what i notice is when i come to a stop it idles at around 3000 rpms and pulses for a few seconds before a small backfire then it drops and idles normally. This happens almost every time I stop after driving.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well when you come to a stop and it idles high that's because it's lean in the mid.
A shim under the needle clip is most likely the fix for that.
As far as excessive fuel consumption goes you could put a set of new plugs in and do a few wot passes, cutting the motor immediately after. Pull the plugs and read them, that'll tell you your top end jetting.
My gut tells me that your mid is lean, and the rest of your jetting is fine.

The 800 ptek isn't the most fuel efficient

What makes you think your fuel consumption is excessive?
Maybe you have a leak?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I'm lucky to get 7 mpg with my 800h.o. it also does the backfire and high idle most times I jist blip the choke

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm lucky to get 7 mpg with my 800h.o. it also does the backfire and high idle most times I jist blip the choke

Yea, sounds like you're lean in the mid too. Every ptek running in the mountains was like that from factory, sounds like the h.o.'s were probably the same.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Yea, sounds like you're lean in the mid too. Every ptek running in the mountains was like that from factory, sounds like the h.o.'s were probably the same.

So help a carb idiot out what do you mean by a shim under the needle clip? On mikuni carbs I have messed with I just moved the needle up or down

·
Registered
262 Posts
So help a carb idiot out what do you mean by a shim under the needle clip? On mikuni carbs I have messed with I just moved the needle up or down

Sometimes the distance between the adjustment notches on the needle is too much so you put a shim under the clip that you would use to move the needle up and down

·
Registered
614 Posts
On the power tec, I thought There was a plunger that could stick that could cause excessive fuel consumption.
Was it DPM or high altitude compension ?
Free it np by shaking it loose and Wd 40.
Smarter people will know what I'm talking about.
nls

·
Registered
262 Posts
On the power tec, I thought There was a plunger that could stick that could cause excessive fuel consumption.
Was it DPM or high altitude compension ?
Free it np by shaking it loose and Wd 40.
Smarter people will know what I'm talking about.
nls
That could be, but if that's the case it should create a bog.
Too much fuel is too much fuel. The engine doesn't know if the carb is over jetted, or if the DPM is sticking. It just bogs when it sees too much fuel

·
Premium Member
27,900 Posts
Choke adjustment?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts