Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have an 07 Summit XRS and I bought it used and its been running without issue. Overheating light came on after about 50 km on hard pack trail. Got it back to the trailer and now in the shop at home here. A bit of research suggest changing the thermostat - no problem I thought. My coolant reservoir was also leaking as the hole for the cap started to go oval on me - so I pulled that to replace as well.

Back to the thermostat housing - 4 bolts, 3 of which I can see, the fourth I can barely feel let alone get a wrench on it.

The question is how to get this off - to I have to pull this engine out to do it as I cant seem to figure an easy way to swap this out. I don't have a service manual but if anyone could share the instructions to do this that would be great.

Thanks to all in advance. Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
That’s not the thermostat, that is the water pump. Thermostat is on the right side of the motor. To fix the water pump, you pretty much pulling the motor.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The 2007 Summit 800R does not have a thermostat from factory. One of the only years they didn't use one. If the coolant isn't circulating, it's possible that the water pump is the problem. Most likely the issue isn't with the cooling system, it's the hard packed trail you're on. Scratchers are recommended if you don't already have them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No thermostat? Didn't even think that it did not possibly have one. Glad I didn't attempt to remove the water pump housing as I'm sure I have decent flow. I don't have scratchers so I will get some of those, also I got a new coolant reservoir today so I will now have a good round seal for the cap and no more leaks.

Also - curious about this.... I cut the snow flap off the back about 4-5 inches down as it was starting to curl inwards and then get caught in the tracks if I went into reverse. I'm wondering if this is now causing less snow to pass through the tunnel and if I should just get a new flap that is the proper length.

Thanks again for the advise here guys, I am a bit of a newbie with sleds but not afraid to turn wrenches at all. I appreciate the feedback and help.

·
Slednuck
1,982 Posts
Scratchers are more important than the snowflap so you should be fine with it cut a little shorter. Put some aluminum heat tape on the coolant bottle or the new one will have an oval opening shortly too.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Bnorth is right, scratchers. Or drag your feet an hit the soft snow on the side of the trail helps a lot if you can on those hard packed trails. Rode for a few years with no flap, just did what I mentioned and barely over heated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome, thanks to all and good advice on the heat tape on the coolant reservoir. $ 88 dollar replacement at the dealership... Ouch.

·
Slednuck
1,982 Posts
Awesome, thanks to all and good advice on the heat tape on the coolant reservoir. $ 88 dollar replacement at the dealership... Ouch.
If you order from Banner in Vernon Mike can deliver parts to Salmon Arm and save you some driving.

·
Premium Member
27,910 Posts
I seem to be in the minority with snow flap being more important than scratchers. Huge difference in my books. You can fit the latest Ski-Doo flaps that can be bent up for reverse.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I agree with Daag44, the flap is an important part of the cooling system if you are running hard packed trails or ice. Ridden with plenty of sleds with and without scratchers and they overheat in those conditions if they have no flap and the operator isn't going off on the sides of the trail.

Reactions: Daag44
1 - 10 of 10 Posts