Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went through the threads about the 800 starters hitting the ring gear at higher rpms but my question is more around the bolts hitting the collar. My sled has a little over 7000 miles, came with factory electric start and worked fine up until now. I assumed starter was bad so I ordered a new starter for it but the first time I started it up it looks like the pictures below. If anybody has seen this I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks

Attach2346_20160110_094612.jpg

Attach2348_20160110_094620.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
I have seen this happen when the snap ring groove on the starter shaft wears real bad, along with the snap ring, allowing the bendix to come out too far.

Not sure what is up with your new starter. Is it a 515176133 ?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that's the part number I bought for it. Didn't want to dink with guessing at parts of the starter so I just bought a new one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
where did you get it.. ebay?

Ive bought ebay starters before with no proplems but I have read on here that a few guys have had some fitment problems.

·
Premium Member
27,902 Posts
Hmm

Im sure you have the oem ring gear and all the screws are tight.. must be the starter.

Was the shaft worn out on the original?
Agreed, must be the starter. I can't see the primary moving back to hit the starter.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah everything is tight and ring gear is oem from factory. Shaft on original looks a little worn. Thanks for the input

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got one off Ebay for my 05 800 and it does the same thing. I only use it on cold start ups and then I just pull start it the rest of the day. I'll keep an eye on those bolt heads for sure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just installed a starter on my 08 Summit 600 SDI with no problem. It was a factory starter which is made by Denso and made in Japan. Is it possible with that many miles that the crank shaft can move slightly from right to left due to thrust bearing wear?. Its not usually a problem. Grab the clutch and push it in and out and see if it moves. The spacing on the starter gear to ring gear are very close. I cant tell from your picture but my starter has a big space between the clutch and the gear on the starter. The collar stops the gear movement. Mine doesn't come close to rubbing. Can you provide a picture from above showing the ring gear in relation to the starter gear from above. My ring gear is perfectly centered between gear and collar.

On the other hand a while back I installed a non OEM starter from EBAY on a 2004 summit 600 and I had to grind and shim to get it to work. Make sure that you in fact got an OEM Denso starter from the dealer. They can get aftermarket parts to. An OEM starter from the dealer is about $430.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
That starter does not look OEM to me. Collar is different. You could put some washers on the shaft so it can't engage so far.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I see you used part number 515176133 for the starter. That is commonly used on 600 engines like mine. The only 800 listed for 2007 was the GSX LTD. There is an 800 part number which is 515176313. They are different. What model do you have?

·
Registered
19 Posts
That starter does not look OEM to me. Collar is different. You could put some washers on the shaft so it can't engage so far.
I agree. From what I see it doesn't look exactly like mine. Washers could work. The 2004 non OEM starter I installed a while back was so far off I had to grind a new grove in the shaft for the ring to move the collar in.The end of the collar should be even with the outside edge of the ring gear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts