Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Top End or Run It?
I have 5700 miles on an 07 800 Blizzard. Other than Grease and Crankcase oil changes, no significant maintenance work has been done. Looking for input on whether to do the top end this summer. Let's have your votes. Please also let me know if there is any other recomended maintenance that should be performed.
Rebuild1381.25%
Run It as is.318.75%

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Let me know what your thoughts are on recommended summer maintenance. 2007 800 Blizzard. No major maintenance work has been performed to date, other than crankcase oil every season, grease, etc. Want to make sure I get a good long life out of this thing. Thanks.

·
Registered
45,484 Posts
I'd run some compression checks.

But I'd be inclined to reccomend new pistons/rings with nearly 6k miles on it.

·
1200 Trail King
2,187 Posts
Let me know what your thoughts are on recommended summer maintenance. 2007 800 Blizzard. No major maintenance work has been performed to date, other than crankcase oil every season, grease, etc. Want to make sure I get a good long life out of this thing. Thanks.
new top end for sure,, check the carb boots too bra!

·
Registered
807 Posts
I wouldn't want changing the rings incase it changes the reliablity, but then again... the motor has to go sometime. For example... we have a 2000 MX Z 600 ZX. it was 8 years old, stock motor and all, running good. The engine goes. Okay, rebuild, once is fine. The next year, motor goes just after christmas. While it was being rebuilt we got an 09 gade. Get it back, about 700 km on it and it goes again. 3 rebuilds in 2 years on one of doos most reliable engines. This year... december, the engine goes. get it back put 860 km on it and it goes again in early march. We haven't picked it up yet.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Just my opinion,

Go throught it all, living most of your life around 7k rpm or better takes its toll, replace everything, seals, bearings, rods, pistons ( put in a set of dual ring while you are at it ) then start at the front of the sled and work your way back. Look at bushings, skid bearings and wheels, grease every zerk you can find. Get a little piece of mind, it is cheaper than having it done by a dealer when you drag it in off the trail not to mention the wait if you need parts the dealer dont have in stock. Dont forget the chain case, clean the clutches too, maybe look at new clutch springs.

Sledguy

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Normally, I follow the "it's not broken so don't fix it rule." Here I have to agree with sledguy and the others who voted to rebuild it. Yes, life on an engine running between 6K-8100K RPMs, pushing through snow is hard on it.

Absolutely, compression test and a cylinder leakage test before you tear it down could help identify issues that can be repaired while you have it apart.

Sounds like someone who is working on your other Doo is missing the boat in regards to his/her troubleshooting. No reason for an engine to burn down that many times unless the mechanic (s) are inexperienced or lack the knowledge to do the job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts