Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else notice a flutter sound in the engine at around 6000 rpms in their 1000SDI's? Just did 860 miles in quebec last week and had a lot of time to listen to the motor listen tot he motor. It sounded really smooth everywhere besides 6000 rpms. Sounded like a flutter, like the old days when I was a kid and stuck a baseball card in the spokes. Anyone else notice this??

·
Registered
236 Posts
Kirch said:
anyone else notice a flutter sound in the engine at around 6000 rpms in their 1000SDI's? Just did 860 miles in quebec last week and had a lot of time to listen to the motor listen tot he motor. It sounded really smooth everywhere besides 6000 rpms. Sounded like a flutter, like the old days when I was a kid and stuck a baseball card in the spokes. Anyone else notice this??
[snapback]704014[/snapback]​
Kinda sorta. A guy i ride with has an 06mach also. Bone stock it came out of the dealer with clickers on 6. Around 6000 rpms he has a vibration that you can feel with your left foot, nothing in the handle bars. It also gets louder at this time. Either engine, clutch or other. He since changed pin weight, but the vibration is still there. This guys a mechanic and a YELLOW BLEEDER but he is not to happy.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I also started to develop a a sound similiar to this around that rpm. It's not real loud but it's there. almost sounded like a small exhaust leak. One of my exhaust manifolds was starting to leak. all my bolts needed to be retightened. I haven't ran it since then so not sure if that was the problem. My buddies new 800 pt had all the bolts come out on his exhaust manifold except one last weekend. We had to put a new gasket in and had down time. Check that.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i can't feel mine I just hear it. It's very faint. But the motor def. sounds differnt at 5800-6200 rpms..... like I said it sounds like a flutter like the evavles arent working rigth. I dunno

·
SkiDoo Guru
21,003 Posts
i think its the fuel pump under the motor ?rode mine with no helmet and this seemed to be where the noise came from. silicone it or if you have the time put rubber washers under it.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
If I were to guess at this one, I would say it would be either a burned (in one section) belt, you'll also notice this when you try to creap forward and it seams to skip... This at higher speeds will sound like fluttering.

Another possibiliy is a bad bearing either on the jack shaft or on the drive shaft. This too can sound like fluttering.
I've had these go on me a few times and when they totally go, you ain't going nowhere.

Check your exhaust as well, the bolts at the mount to cylinder do have a tendancy to come loose.

Good luck!

·
TEAM YELLOW
3,779 Posts
If you're getting any sort of exhaust leak sound coming from the motor, check your decomp plugs. They are located above the throttle body, behind the fuel rail. I had one of mine back out that resulted in a exhaust leak that you could hear coming up the steering column.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it's def. NOT the belt as I changed it toward the end of my trip. Started losing a cord. had 950 miles on it.... not bad.

The sound sounds like it's internal to the motor and ONLY occurs around 6000 RPMs +/- 100.

I'll put it on a stand when I can and dig into it.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nope no lights. Had lights in the first few hundred miles.... but none on my last trip which was 860 miles in quebec. idler wheels were cleaned before trip and are black now. the sled seemed to run fine besides the fire ball, NO ENGINE LIGHTS.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ITS COMING FROM THE MOTOR

·
Extreme Warantee Tester
1,418 Posts
The 05 Summits all did this before the fuel pump, e-rave cable update. Engine sounds like a diesel under no load a 6000 rpm.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.