Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sorry this is an 03 REV I dont see how to edit the title

I see the threads on the sticky mechanical gauges but I dont see anything on the ones with the gauge on the dash. I am sure others have this problem so maybe I just cant find the threads on it

My wife's sled shows 1/2 full when its chock full, then goes to empty when there is still plenty in it. SOmetimes it just reads when it feels like it, but I have never seen it go past 1/2 full

Is the sending unit bad? Gauge? System is a POS?

I am familiar with these types of systems on autos and boats etc but was wondering if there is a common known cause before I start digging into it or do I just live with it

never worked right in the 4 years we have owned it

Any way to fix?

just thought I would ask

thanks

·
stuck...
2,867 Posts
Sending unit could be bad. Mine works perfectly and I bought everything used and I know many people who have it and they work good. So I wouldn't call them junk but not sure in your case

·
Registered
211 Posts
There is a specific test to check the sending unit in tank. It will tell you what the ohms reading should be at full through empty and points in between. If you want to check it, I can dig out the manual and give you the numbers you need.

·
Registered
173 Posts
There is a specific test to check the sending unit in tank. It will tell you what the ohms reading should be at full through empty and points in between. If you want to check it, I can dig out the manual and give you the numbers you need.
so it sounds like this is not as common as I thought! Which is good to hear!

thanks I am familiar with how a sending unit works but the actual specs would really help

its probably the unit if thats the case

appreciate it!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well, after 20 min of looking, there is no chart with the ohm values for level. There is a .25A fuse in line just downstream of the sending unit. On the back of the gauge you need to check to see if you have 12vdc between the red/yellow wire and he black/blue wire. If voltage is good, check fuel level sender by reconnecting the gauge connector and jumping the blue wire to ground. The pointer should increase to the F zone. This is per the manual, not my electronic knowledge. If need more info, I can get a pic of that page in manual and post it here for you.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, after 20 min of looking, there is no chart with the ohm values for level. There is a .25A fuse in line just downstream of the sending unit. On the back of the gauge you need to check to see if you have 12vdc between the red/yellow wire and he black/blue wire. If voltage is good, check fuel level sender by reconnecting the gauge connector and jumping the blue wire to ground. The pointer should increase to the F zone. This is per the manual, not my electronic knowledge. If need more info, I can get a pic of that page in manual and post it here for you.
ok great thanks. Thats the typical way of testing a sending unit, grounding it and see if it pegs the needle

Its at my cabin, I am going there this weekend

will report back

1 - 6 of 6 Posts