Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Profile Creeper
14,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys my 2006 machZ starts fine but has a hard time idling when cold. and then whats its warm starts great but idles high. around 2000rpm sometimes a little higher making the clutch engage. it just started doing this randomly. what do you think could be the problem??

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
hey guys my 2006 machZ starts fine but has a hard time idling when cold. and then whats its warm starts great but idles high. around 2000rpm sometimes a little higher making the clutch engage. it just started doing this randomly. what do you think could be the problem??
Have you made any changes to the sled at all lately????

Do you know what map you are running???

What fuel is in your sled currently? Has some of the fuel been sitting all summer??

What is your battery voltage????

Your clutch should not be engaging just above 2000 RPM.

·
Profile Creeper
14,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you made any changes to the sled at all lately????

Do you know what map you are running???

What fuel is in your sled currently? Has some of the fuel been sitting all summer??

What is your battery voltage????

Your clutch should not be engaging just above 2000 RPM.
The only thing iv changed is i put a can on it and an 8inch riser. but nothing motor wise. and no gas has not been sitting in it. and it has 93 in it right now. the gas tank was pretty much empty through out the summer actually. ill get more info for you soon. not sure what map its running right now. i forgot to check my battery voltage. what RPM should my clutch engage at? i thought it was weird also. thanks

·
Registered
266 Posts
The only thing iv changed is i put a can on it and an 8inch riser. but nothing motor wise. and no gas has not been sitting in it. and it has 93 in it right now. the gas tank was pretty much empty through out the summer actually. ill get more info for you soon. not sure what map its running right now. i forgot to check my battery voltage. what RPM should my clutch engage at? i thought it was weird also. thanks
I would surely suspect that gas that was in there. Even a small amount could have deteriorated over the summer, and could be causing some problems.

My 2007 mach engages at 3000 or 3500. I can't remember which. I can tell you in a few days I will be starting it again. It is DEFINITELY not below 3000.

·
Profile Creeper
14,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would surely suspect that gas that was in there. Even a small amount could have deteriorated over the summer, and could be causing some problems.

My 2007 mach engages at 3000 or 3500. I can't remember which. I can tell you in a few days I will be starting it again. It is DEFINITELY not below 3000.
well yes there was some gas in it but hardly any. and the weirdest part about this whole thing is, its been running fine! and i just went to start it a couple days ago(once i put the can on it) and it doesnt like to start or idle when its cold. and i knew it shouldnt be engaging so low. i wouldnt think putting a can on would effect it like this so im kinda confused.

·
SnomoSnob
2,613 Posts
Weird thing I ran into on my etec, I put on a riser, it pulled on the trottle cable VERY LITTLE, and it would not start or start but run poorly, the TPS was not setting to Zero or something. I'm not saying the tech is the same, but they both use the same TPS.
Change your plugs too.
Check your Primary Clutch Spring.
Later
GutZ

·
Profile Creeper
14,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Weird thing I ran into on my etec, I put on a riser, it pulled on the trottle cable VERY LITTLE, and it would not start or start but run poorly, the TPS was not setting to Zero or something. I'm not saying the tech is the same, but they both use the same TPS.
Change your plugs too.
Check your Primary Clutch Spring.
Later
GutZ
I actually thought it could be the riser giving me problems! i order some longer cables so i hope that helps. thanks alot for the info

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Now you know why I asked what changes you have made to the sled. I would bet if you look at your idle adjustment screw it is not bottoming out due to your riser install. See if you can adjust to get some extra play in throttle cable at the thumb lever. The cables may still give you more trouble when turning one direction versus the other.

You may have an issue with your clutches or the belt tension might be set too high and the clutches will engage too soon. The clutch creep can cause the engine to idle too low due to the extra load.

·
Profile Creeper
14,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now you know why I asked what changes you have made to the sled. I would bet if you look at your idle adjustment screw it is not bottoming out due to your riser install. See if you can adjust to get some extra play in throttle cable at the thumb lever. The cables may still give you more trouble when turning one direction versus the other.

You may have an issue with your clutches or the belt tension might be set too high and the clutches will engage too soon. The clutch creep can cause the engine to idle too low due to the extra load.
okay cool thanks alot bluemax

·
Registered
266 Posts
well yes there was some gas in it but hardly any. and the weirdest part about this whole thing is, its been running fine! and i just went to start it a couple days ago(once i put the can on it) and it doesnt like to start or idle when its cold. and i knew it shouldnt be engaging so low. i wouldnt think putting a can on would effect it like this so im kinda confused.
FYI, most of what I've read on DT, seems to indicate that the factory pipes/muffler on the 1000 SDI, should not be changed. Apparently it's tuned for that system, and altering it does not give any significant gain in power.

·
Profile Creeper
14,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FYI, most of what I've read on DT, seems to indicate that the factory pipes/muffler on the 1000 SDI, should not be changed. Apparently it's tuned for that system, and altering it does not give any significant gain in power.
yes i am aware of what cans do. i didnt put it on for power gains. thanks for the comment, but im not trying to turn this into a can thread.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mach z not, did you ever get anywhere with your're lawsuit ???

·
Registered
266 Posts
Mach z not, did you ever get anywhere with your're lawsuit ???
No, I needed a few more people to sign up, and they didn't, so it was dropped by the lawyer in D.C. My dealer, who caused all the problems to begin with, by tying my sled up for 41 days ( at peak season ) for a fuel pump, lost all three of his stores, which kind of evened the score. I ended up putting in a PUROLATOR/FACET cube pump in the right footwell, and the sled runs perfectly, mile after mile in Pittsburg, NH.

Hey, I've been trying to get you to race me for three years on your 800 Polarises. I even offered to drive up to Syracuse NY, to meet you half-way, but you always back down. What are you afraid of those 1000 SDIs????

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ran it tonight on the stand.....engages at approximately 3000 RPM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts