Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got back from quebec, put on 855 miles in 3.25 days. My buddy said when I'd come up to a stop and decel a fire ball would come outa the exhaust. So the next time I looked over the side and sure enough a ball of fire came outa the exhaust about 18" in diameter
. It wouldn't do it all the time but enough. So, I look at the sled a little more to make sure I'm not melting anything and notice the following.

-- my right side panel is discolored.... looks like that Kameleon paint or oil on water and won't come off. You can barely notice it.

-- my right idle wheels have soot on them and I just cleaned the entire sled before this trip.... including the wheels. My buddy has a 600sdi w/ 3000 miles and silver wheels and no sut at all.

-- when I'm in powder I leave a black racing strip in the snow. So does the 600 sdi, but not as bad as mine. Mines about 5 times worse.

-- on avg. at fill up from close to empty I'd use about 1.5 - 2.0 gallons more than the 600.... I thought that was pretty good considering I'm almost twice the c.c.

-- in 855 miles I had to fill my oil twice which is about 7.5 liters. I'd fill when it was a little less than a 1/4... 600 didn't use as much oil about a 1/4 less every time we filled. Had 1/4 tank when trip was done.

-- plug color looked check after I high speed run.... nice tan color : )

One thing I was doing on and off was reinstalling the DESS cap 3 times and priming the pump and capacitor per krm's post. I did it more often than not.

keep in mind I have a total of almost 1200 now. Before my trip I had about 330 miles on it and took to the dealer to have everything looked at, coolant update, check valve cables.... etc.

In 855 miles the sled seemed to run great besides the fire ball.... never got an engine light or anything. Cold start program works great.

However, Bluemax set me a post and it sounds like if my sled keeps doing this I'm going to be in trouble.

HELP GUYS!

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
left wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ttt

·
Registered
259 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing after a long pull she blowes flames 2 feet long also have black sticky sut down the side and on the wheels also I was only getting 140KM to a tank of fuel wich makes sence because it must be huffing unburnt fuel out the exaust onto the side of the slead......

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
talked to dealer, they said they don't have a clue but they'll look at it. *%@! Anyone have a clue why this is doing this? Winter is too short to be dicking around. If this thing don't straighten out fast I'm jumping ship.

Anyone else w/ info. please speak up.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just a shot in the dark, but... from what i have been reading here is that the 06's have a over sensitive knock sensor. maybe it is the sensor sensing a knock and richining the engine and retarding the timing and still sensing the knock and progressively over richining until it catches the raw fuel in the pipe?????
maybe that is what it appears to me by reading some of the other problems some of the others kinda point to. early riders sled burned up from an exhaust fire from what i read.
just a guess but id have it checked. i am by no means an expert at this
good luck

·
Registered
141 Posts
If it was the knock sensor kicking in the engine light would come on to let know it is richening the gas. My experience with the knock sensor is it only comes on when you run regular low octane gas and get engine ping. Add some klotz octane boost and it should that should go away. However that is not your problem. Whats happening is the machs are pig rich on gas on the bottom end. When you let off the gas after a good crack the excess gas is ignited by the hot exhaust and gives you the pretty fireworks your experiencing. Same goes with the black soot. It's not oil, mine burns perfect amount of oil but again, she is just blowing out excess gas on the low end. The difference is when you crack it from a dead stop, the exhaust is not hot enough to ignite it and it just comes out black. Most machs do it, some worst than others. I would say the only way to fix it would be fuel mapping or tps adjustment. I don't get the flames, i did on breakin, but thats because she was super rich on breakin, but i doo get the soot, good luck with it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I agree with much of what you said Cartwrightmotel. Mine also blows flames seems to do it on too many instances for my liking. My light has never come on and had 89octane in it once by accident. Yesterday my dealer did the coolant update and he put a piece of tape under the knock sensor. The sensors are very fussy this year I wonder what Bluemax meant to the other guy that he may be headed for trouble?

·
Registered
883 Posts
What ambient temps when youre getting the flames? I was getting the big 3 footer on decel too but it was only after a long wot and the temps we in mid 30's. Havent seen any of this soot yet - hope I dont.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Cartwright is correct there is nothing wrong with the knock sensor, I don't care what anyone says there is nothing wrong with it. sorry if this ruffles feathers.

The problem lies either in the TPS or Rave valves or both and not to discount that there is probably a few bad ecu's.

Most of the dealers don't have a clue or have children working on these things and this is the biggest problem of all. Alot of times it takes numeous attempts to get these adjustments and programs correct and the dealers aren't taking the time to make sure it's done correctly and completely.

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Even a good running Mach will discolor the right side panel after a couple of days of good riding. Exhaust residue from the smoke collects on the lower 2-3 inches of the right side panel around the exhaust opening. You can feel it with your hand as a roughness and can also feel it as you wipe down the sled with a rag. I've used Simple Green to gently remove the residue without scratching or dulling the plastic. A good liquid wax with a cleaner safe for clearcoats will get most of it also.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I too have a discoloured wheel on the right side but have yet to notice any flames??
It has been very warm for the last few rides and can only assume the rich condition due to the weather

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
me buddy has 3000 miles on his 600 sdi with the same color wheels as my mach and they aren't sutted at all. Mine is def. F'ed up. No sled should have a fireball under it. PERIOD.

Anyone have a clue what is wrong. Dealer states my valve cables are fine. *%@, should I just bring hotdogs with me and have a bbq next ride?

·
Registered
141 Posts
All I can suggest is get your dealer to check TPS and maybe go over the fuel mapping again. I have heard that it can take several tries to get the mapping correct because of the sequence that has to be followed. That is just hearsay tho. But the TPS is definitely worth a look. After that....break out the BBQ sauce and invite me! Maybe some of the pros can give you some more suggestions too.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
95 Posts
MY RENEGADE IS DOOING THE EXACT SAME THING. LARGE FLAMES, BUT NOT JUST AFTER WOT, AFTER A GOOD PACED RIDE DOWN THE TRAIL ON DECELERATION, THE BIG BLUE FLAME COMES OUT. MY YELLOW GADE IS TOTALLY BLACK ON THE RIGHT SIDE. IF WE PULL UP TO A CORNER AND WAIT FOR ABOUT 20 SECONDS FOR MY BUDDIES, I LEAVE A BIG BLACK CIRCLE IN THE SNOW. MY SLED IS DEFINETELY RUNNING IN RICH OR PROTECTION MODE AND THE LIGHT DOES NOT COME ON. IT WAS FLASHING THE OTHER DAY FOR A WHILE, BUT WENT OUT AFTER IT COOLED DOWN. MY DEALER THINKS THIS IS STRICKLY AN E-RAVE CABLE PROBLEM. WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN I HEAR FROM HIM. I HAVE HAD THE COOLANT AND COLD START UPDATE DONE, STILL A PROBLM. I AM USING ABOUT 20-25 % MORE GAS THAN MY FRIENDS 04 800 CARBURATED SLED. THAT'S RICH.

·
Registered
42 Posts
MY RENEGADE IS DOOING THE EXACT SAME THING. LARGE FLAMES, BUT NOT JUST AFTER WOT, AFTER A GOOD PACED RIDE DOWN THE TRAIL ON DECELERATION, THE BIG BLUE FLAME COMES OUT. MY YELLOW GADE IS TOTALLY BLACK ON THE RIGHT SIDE. IF WE PULL UP TO A CORNER AND WAIT FOR ABOUT 20 SECONDS FOR MY BUDDIES, I LEAVE A BIG BLACK CIRCLE IN THE SNOW. MY SLED IS DEFINETELY RUNNING IN RICH OR PROTECTION MODE AND THE LIGHT DOES NOT COME ON. IT WAS FLASHING THE OTHER DAY FOR A WHILE, BUT WENT OUT AFTER IT COOLED DOWN. MY DEALER THINKS THIS IS STRICKLY AN E-RAVE CABLE PROBLEM. WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN I HEAR FROM HIM. I HAVE HAD THE COOLANT AND COLD START UPDATE DONE, STILL A PROBLM. I AM USING ABOUT 20-25 % MORE GAS THAN MY FRIENDS 04 800 CARBURATED SLED. THAT'S RICH.
Has anyone found a fix for this flame problem yet? My stock 07 has started doing this (no warning lights lite yet). dealer tells me they have never heard of this and there are no updates avaialble for 07's.

·
Registered
920 Posts
talked to dealer, they said they don't have a clue but they'll look at it. *%@! Anyone have a clue why this is doing this? Winter is too short to be dicking around. If this thing don't straighten out fast I'm jumping ship.

Anyone else w/ info. please speak up.

Thanks,
Dave
i had a 05 do the same thing never had a plug problem and it was fat as hell the guy who bought still has the same problem sled has 12500 miles still run greet leave it alone

·
Got a beer?
2,313 Posts
My 05 did all the same stuff yours is doing except the flame throwing. BlueMax helped me out a ton to get it dialed. I looked for the info that he posted me, but couldn't find it. Maybe he'll chime in for ya. It had something to do with the e-raves and tps settings

·
Registered
404 Posts
just got back from quebec, put on 855 miles in 3.25 days. My buddy said when I'd come up to a stop and decel a fire ball would come outa the exhaust. So the next time I looked over the side and sure enough a ball of fire came outa the exhaust about 18" in diameter
. It wouldn't do it all the time but enough. So, I look at the sled a little more to make sure I'm not melting anything and notice the following.

-- my right side panel is discolored.... looks like that Kameleon paint or oil on water and won't come off. You can barely notice it.

-- my right idle wheels have soot on them and I just cleaned the entire sled before this trip.... including the wheels. My buddy has a 600sdi w/ 3000 miles and silver wheels and no sut at all.

-- when I'm in powder I leave a black racing strip in the snow. So does the 600 sdi, but not as bad as mine. Mines about 5 times worse.

-- on avg. at fill up from close to empty I'd use about 1.5 - 2.0 gallons more than the 600.... I thought that was pretty good considering I'm almost twice the c.c.

-- in 855 miles I had to fill my oil twice which is about 7.5 liters. I'd fill when it was a little less than a 1/4... 600 didn't use as much oil about a 1/4 less every time we filled. Had 1/4 tank when trip was done.

-- plug color looked check after I high speed run.... nice tan color : )

One thing I was doing on and off was reinstalling the DESS cap 3 times and priming the pump and capacitor per krm's post. I did it more often than not.

keep in mind I have a total of almost 1200 now. Before my trip I had about 330 miles on it and took to the dealer to have everything looked at, coolant update, check valve cables.... etc.

In 855 miles the sled seemed to run great besides the fire ball.... never got an engine light or anything. Cold start program works great.

However, Bluemax set me a post and it sounds like if my sled keeps doing this I'm going to be in trouble.

HELP GUYS!
my friend had a 05 summit 1000 with an aftermarket can. and his would shoot a big blue flame that would come right up the side of the sled. He and i agreed that when the flame would come up that's when the sled would be running the best! it's a good thing!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts