Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched this forum high and low and have found threads that have stated similar issues but not on stating how it ever was resolved.

So the back story is I completely rebuilt the motor in my 800 prior to the season and it was a running functional sled at the time. I rebuilt it because it would stall instead of going into reverse but functioned normally aside from that. I but 140 miles on the sled on back to back days after doing what I thought adequate break in. At about the 100 mile marker on day two it started ideling poorly and would occasionally stall when I would stop. Acting as if it was ideling on one cylinder. I assumed I fouled a plug. Changed the plugs and it made no difference. It was misting that day and about 34 degrees: so I assumed the carbs could have been icing up Soni turned the heaters on and rode 40 miles home. By the time I arrived home it seemed to be back to normal at isle and otherwise and ran fine when I loaded it in the trailer. When i returned home I went to unload it and it again was ideling on one cylinder. Has been ever since.

So the condition as it is it idles on the pro side only but if you rev it up it runs on both. Through diagnosis and tinkering I have eliminated lack of fuel, cleaned the carbs, replaced the pilot jets and readjusted the mixture screws. I have replaced plugs and wires and it is getting spark on both cylinders. I have pulled an inspected both the y pipe which is an aftermarket and the Reed blocks to check reeds which are boyesen rage cages. All of which are fine. But to no avail. The only other issue it has is super excessive oil consumption, there is no play in the pump and have adjusted the cable twice now but on the day it started running on one cylinder it used almost a gallon of oil in 140 miles. The low oil light came on 25 miles from home that day and I had topped it off prior to the days ride.

Sorry for the long post but short of yanking the motor I don't know what to think. Have any of you experienced this and can shine some light on an otherwise puzzling dilema?

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,545 Posts
Will it run on two cylinders with the choke on?
Are you sure the fuel screw tip isn't broken off in the carb body?
I'm thinking your carb bodies are not as clean as you think they are. Remove mixture screw and pilot jet. Using the plastic straw, spray WD40 or similar in the carb circuits, switching between the pilot jet and mixture screw holes while plugging the other hole with your finger. Make sure the fluid can be seen coming through all the small openings near the throttle slide. Compare the carbs to each other, make sure they act the same. Hope this makes sense.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts