Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

05 vs 06 mxz 600 sdi

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ViperER 
I have an 06 600 SDI, 05 600 SDI, 04 600 HO, and an 03 800.

I am an aggressive trail rider who likes go-cart-like handling. I have all of my sleds set up the same. 144 studs. Limiters tightened one hole (front of skid raised) to put more pressure on the skis. The front shocks are on the softest setting to have the front end sit as low as possible. The couplers are set to the thickest pad to the rear to minimize weight transfer and keep the weight up front.

They both handle the bumps very well. The difference is in high speed cornering. I can rail corners on the 05. Just a tap of the brake coming in and roll the throttle on coming out. Total control...total confidence.

The 06 is a handful. With the lowered front suspension, it should rail the corners better, but it doesn't. The skis will not bite. At first I thought it was just due to snow conditions. But I've put a 1000 miles on it this year on all types of snow. The darn thing just won't corner as well as the 05. The new front end and the SC4 don't play nice for high speed cornering.

I'm going to put precision skis on it just to rule out the pilot skis...but I don't think that's the problem. When I punch the 06, the skis raise up 12"+. The 05 doesn't lift the skis at all. The next step will be another hole tighter on the limiter straps, but I'm afraid the bump handling will start to suffer. One hole was enough on all the other sleds.

My riding buddy has an 05 600 SDI and he bought an 06 Gade. He is also unhappy with the 06. If I knew this a couple of months ago, I definitely would have bought a holdover 2005. IMHO, save the money and buy the 2005. I may be unique in my expectations, but I'm not happy with the 2006 cornering.

Use the savings to pay the extra for an SDI (for the range, not the gas money savings). I will never buy another new sled that isn't injected. The increased range is worth every penny. We've been on rides where you can be careful and still get into trouble when gas stations are closed, they don't have pay at the pump, you're in the middle of nowhere...and it's 10 below. Not to mention never having to clean a carb...and the throttle response is killer!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.