Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , I'm looking into buying my first rev. I'm getting prices on 05 and 06, and would like to know of any changes between the two. I can save about $600 bucks on the 05, is it worth it. Thanks Chris

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
cmo532 said:
Hi , I'm looking into buying my first rev. I'm getting prices on 05 and 06, and would like to know of any changes between the two. I can save about $600 bucks on the 05, is it worth it. Thanks Chris

[snapback]745494[/snapback]​
Go with the 2006, the improvements may seem small, but make it a lot more comforatable. The sled is lowered 1.5 inches with makes it a lot less tippy on the turns, and it has the new Pilot skis and the fixed windsheild which gives a lot better wind protection, there is some other improvemetns too, but I can't remember them.

·
Registered
176 Posts
chasem said:
cmo532 said:

[snapback]745494[/snapback]​
Go with the 2006, the improvements may seem small, but make it a lot more comforatable. The sled is lowered 1.5 inches with makes it a lot less tippy on the turns, and it has the new Pilot skis and the fixed windsheild which gives a lot better wind protection, there is some other improvemetns too, but I can't remember them.
[snapback]745607[/snapback]​
I believe the rear suspension was changed as well. What kind of price on an '05? We just bought an '06 500SS for $5495 + Tax at dealer in WI.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I don't like the new lowered suspension on the 06's. I rode one for a day and liked the higher ride height better. The 06's don't skip water as well either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an 06 600 SDI, 05 600 SDI, 04 600 HO, and an 03 800.

I am an aggressive trail rider who likes go-cart-like handling. I have all of my sleds set up the same. 144 studs. Limiters tightened one hole (front of skid raised) to put more pressure on the skis. The front shocks are on the softest setting to have the front end sit as low as possible. The couplers are set to the thickest pad to the rear to minimize weight transfer and keep the weight up front.

They both handle the bumps very well. The difference is in high speed cornering. I can rail corners on the 05. Just a tap of the brake coming in and roll the throttle on coming out. Total control...total confidence.

The 06 is a handful. With the lowered front suspension, it should rail the corners better, but it doesn't. The skis will not bite. At first I thought it was just due to snow conditions. But I've put a 1000 miles on it this year on all types of snow. The darn thing just won't corner as well as the 05. The new front end and the SC4 don't play nice for high speed cornering.

I'm going to put precision skis on it just to rule out the pilot skis...but I don't think that's the problem. When I punch the 06, the skis raise up 12"+. The 05 doesn't lift the skis at all. The next step will be another hole tighter on the limiter straps, but I'm afraid the bump handling will start to suffer. One hole was enough on all the other sleds.

My riding buddy has an 05 600 SDI and he bought an 06 Gade. He is also unhappy with the 06. If I knew this a couple of months ago, I definitely would have bought a holdover 2005. IMHO, save the money and buy the 2005. I may be unique in my expectations, but I'm not happy with the 2006 cornering.

Use the savings to pay the extra for an SDI (for the range, not the gas money savings). I will never buy another new sled that isn't injected. The increased range is worth every penny. We've been on rides where you can be careful and still get into trouble when gas stations are closed, they don't have pay at the pump, you're in the middle of nowhere...and it's 10 below. Not to mention never having to clean a carb...and the throttle response is killer!

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
the 06 is so much better in the ride department than the 05 I canot believe it!

the SC-4 is also much better than the SC-3 ever was at least for heavier riders...

the lower ride height offers NO inside ski lift and it takes EVERY mougal the higer sled ever did.

I was not sure the lower ride height would perform better but it does! MUCH better...

now if your going off trail yo will have ot get an opinion from someone else but as a trail sled the 06 is WAY better and I have had them all... since 03-

the 05 and 06 SDI motors are the same... its the LRH and SC-4 that make all the difference... and worth any extra cost-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.