Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey there, I have a 05 summit 1000, I've recently ran into an issue and I don't know what is causing it, so it was running fine about a month ago then it got warm n all the snow melted so it sat parked then it got cold again n snowed so I went to start it n it ran for about a minute to warm up an it died, so people said change battery so I did, started it up ran for bout half an hour till it spit n sputterd n died (in a field yea that was fun) so I charged the battery more, changed spark plugs and same thing runs for a few minutes n dies! And it beeps n beeps n flashes 10-9 with oil light on (level is good) and a yellow (!) symbol as well far low right on gauge cluster
Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks

·
Registered
693 Posts
10-9 is your driver size. Every rev/rt displays the driver size at start up.
Sounds like ct sensor is toast and putting it in limp mode and over fuelling it thinking it's still a cold engine even after warmed up. That would explain new plugs helping for a few minutes until it loaded up with fuel again. Check f & q up top for resistance to temperature values for ct sensor.
Oil light - no idea.

·
Registered
657 Posts
(!) is the brake i think you might be able to jump the oil level sensor also with a jumper wire and see if it goes off-- then you would have a bad sensor unless its the wiring from sensor on

·
Premium Member
28,103 Posts
The very first thing I always want to know is the voltage at idle. This tells me if the stator and VR and doing their job. Once I know the voltage, then the troubleshooting begins.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Would battery light not be flashing at start up if there was a battery low voltage issue ?? I know it's easy enough to check otherwise.

·
Premium Member
28,103 Posts
The battery light only comes on @ 11.0 volts. Funny things can happen before it gets that low. Monitoring the battery voltage, and the voltage at the pumps will give a good idea why the sled is quitting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah the battery light doesn't flash until it's really dead, but I just got a new dess key as the old one was the star styled chip, they had to use a bigger battery to run the ecu and it started twice at the dealer n stopped beeping n ran then I brought it home and wouldn't start so I hooked a car to it n first pull so I'm gonna charge a spare battery up over night n see. They said I may need a new dess post as its a common issue for them to loosen up n kill the sled. But I will keep you posted

·
Registered
895 Posts
Can you translate this?

"started twice at the dealer n stopped beeping n ran then I brought it home and wouldn't start so I hooked a car to it n first pull so I'm gonna charge a spare battery up over night n see.

·
Premium Member
28,103 Posts
Sled ran good at the dealer and wouldn't work when he got home. Classic!!!! Found problem with discharged battery after boosting sled with car battery. The battery is now on the charger.

Hope that it's a smart charger or the battery will boil overnight with high voltage 16+ and be toast the next morning. Always need to finish the last 10% or so of these batteries with a trickle charge of 13. something volts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry wasn't paying to much attention when I typed it out, but yeah I had boosted it with a car n it fired the first pull. got a 12 v charger at 2 amps, is what then battery manuals recommended

·
Premium Member
28,103 Posts
The Shop Manual explanation is poor, but the information is present in an ambiguous way.

The following two lines essentially caution against using a conventional battery charger, because it will provide too much voltage.

Current flowing into the battery at high voltage can become excessive.

Monitor amperage and adjust voltage as necessary to keep current at the battery's standard amp rating.

The following means to use a Smart Charger.

An automatic charger is the fastest and most convenient way for error-proof charging.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll have to go buy one a those trickle chargers then, but I had let the batt sit for a few hours over night put it in the sled and no warning lights came on and she started up, with no warning lights on either so I guess we'll see

·
Premium Member
28,103 Posts
Not a trickle charger, but a Smart Charger.

Below is a picture of one that will work with some nice display features such as the voltage that will show how these chargers differ from the conventional ones. It also shows the current draw which gives an idea what to expect when checking your sled battery charging circuit.

If you look at the two black buttons at the bottom right, the one on the left chooses the display mode between voltage, amps, or percentage charge. This is nice to know how its charging. It will typically take less than an hour to reach 90% and from there is will begin a trickle charge to top off the battery until it reaches full capacity.

Unfortunately it doesn't show the estimated time between 90% and Full charge. There is no 91, 92, 93...It can take a while to complete the last 10%, maybe several hours, but this is a good thing.

The two things I wish it had is an on/off switch and a total cut off system when the battery is fully charged. This one turns into a trickle charge as a cut off system, which is fine. Just don't leave it one for days on end.

Gadget Font Material property Technology Electronic device

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts