Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding Friday and started to feel a vibration (1100 miles on sled). I stopped the sled to check it out, I could smell something burning. I opened the side cover and found the sealed bearing behind the seconday completely destroyed. The shaft was rubbing on the bracket that holds the assembly because the shaft was not supported by the bearing. It built up a ton of heat and even started to melt he orange motor mount pad. It really "edit for bad language" me off, ruined my hole weekend. Has this happened to anyone else, anyone know what could cause it or if it is simply a part failure. This was the first weekend I was running Bills primary and secondary kit, don't know if it has anything to do with it.

On a positive note I'm running 05 with updates, hps can and Bills clutching. The sled was flat out flying, I saw 121 on speedo a couple of times, the best I ever saw last year and before clutching was 114. This was on snow covered road with a studded Ripsaw track. The clutching made a big difference. Anyways any input on this bearing issue would be appreciated.

·
Members
93 Posts
motorsports5 said:
I was riding Friday and started to feel a vibration (1100 miles on sled). I stopped the sled to check it out, I could smell something burning. I opened the side cover and found the sealed bearing behind the seconday completely destroyed. The shaft was rubbing on the bracket that holds the assembly because the shaft was not supported by the bearing. It built up a ton of heat and even started to melt he orange motor mount pad. It really "edit for bad language" me off, ruined my hole weekend. Has this happened to anyone else, anyone know what could cause it or if it is simply a part failure. This was the first weekend I was running Bills primary and secondary kit, don't know if it has anything to do with it.

On a positive note I'm running 05 with updates, hps can and Bills clutching. The sled was flat out flying, I saw 121 on speedo a couple of times, the best I ever saw last year and before clutching was 114. This was on snow covered road with a studded Ripsaw track. The clutching made a big difference. Anyways any input on this bearing issue would be appreciated.
[snapback]699282[/snapback]​
Wholly smokes,sounds kinda odd to have that bearing going so soon.Must have been a defective part. I thought they weren't starting to build em in Mexico until NEXT year?
..it seems odd to me that there are so many little issues on this model.Hopefully it is just an isolated incedent

·
Registered
43 Posts
I also loss that same bearing last year in febuary 700 miles on the mach and as a result i was going about 100 grabed the brake because a deer jumped out in front of me. The shaft actually busted behind my secondary. took out both clutches and made a hell of a mess. The red plastic puck was so hot it was on fire. At the time riding was great and cut out 2 weeks of time being in the dealers garage. Needed new clutches, motormount, jackshaft, bearing holder but it was on warrenty at the time. Been great ever since.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Black Toys said:
Did any of you notice prior to the mishap if your brake rotor would slide back & forth on the shaft. If so, it would contribute to bearing failure.
[snapback]699861[/snapback]​
I did not notice if the brake floated freely before it went. I was running the original belt, I have had no belt failures or problems. The only other thing that I noticed is that one of the clips that hold the helix in the secondary was about to come out. It may of been a result of the secondary getting bang around after the bearing went.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.