Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me out here just took out my sled up and down the street and fouled out plugs?? I let her warn up for at least 10 mins or so...Pulled her out of the trailer fouled out plugs put new ones in and a couple of runs and fouled out again...

Help me out here the sled only has 6 miles maybe 8 now....

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
welcome to dootalk

Pease use the search feature as this topic has been discussed a couple of times.
You are not alone with the SDI fouling 'internet hype'!
*note* when using the search feature if you type in a 3 letter word you must put a "*" afterwards ex; SDI* or your search will will have an error.
Have fun reading you may even see a post or two from me in there!
Come on back after you have tried a few of those ideas. Most dealers are not going to be any help @ this point. Also is it your clutch side, mag side, or both sides that is fouling?
05SDI

·
Doo Rider
3,170 Posts
I have never let it warm up for longer than a minute or so. Start it, put on helmet, and gloves and ride. No fouling yet. 550km.

Could be cause it set to run rich during the breakin period, and your letting it sit too long idling.

·
Registered
42 Posts
doo rider said:
I have never let it warm up for longer than a minute or so. Start it, put on helmet, and gloves and ride. No fouling yet. 550km.

Could be cause it set to run rich during the breakin period, and your letting it sit too long idling.
[snapback]279282[/snapback]​
The first year on myine I did not foulany plugs, good for you. however sometime either the spring service or the fall service the dealer installed a ECU update that ruined my sled, now for this season I am fouling plugs

·
Registered
290 Posts
1) Make sure fuel tank is topped off during breakin. While the dealer is not supposed to add oil to the first tankful during breakin on SDI's, old habits die hard and they may have put oil in the tank making you extrememly rich.

2) When starting....don't touch the throttle during warmup. No "feathering" the
throttle as you would with a carbed sled. It confuses the ECU and puts it into a
limp hone mode. Stick your right hand in you pocket for 1-2 mintues.

3) Limit your warmup to 1-2 minutes. No need to idle for 10 minutes. Even some carbed sleds will load up if left to idle that long.

4) Make sure dealer used the latest procedure for setting the oil pump. They should check that as part of the 10 hour servicing if you bring it in for that (which I recommend doing).

Give these things a try....willing to bet the problem solves itself without changing non spec plugs. I've had 2 SDI's in the past 2 years..never fouled a plug yet. (Good thing I haven't....my Polaris buddies would never let me hear the end of it!)

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had the same problem with my 05 SDI, went through 8 BR9ECS's in 400 or so miles. Finally, took it back to the dealer. The TPS (throttle position sensor) was set at 4.4 from the factory. He reset it to 4.9. No more issues. I have 1200 miles on the sled and it's been great.

Also, keep the plugs, because BRP will warranty them. My dealer gave me an 80 dollar credit. This is not internet hype. There are some guys having major issues with the 600's and the 1000's. My dealer has cured the problem for them all using the TPS adjustment. He spoke with BRP, and the tech informed him that this was the recommended procedure.

Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
had mine resaet at the dealer on thursday and he said 3.9 maximum although i read 4.9 on here somewhere. anyhow on the weekend i used 5 more plugs and then on staurday the engine went to pieces. waiting to hear now how much damage and hoping it is enough to get a drop in engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts