Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from Canada and have some insight on the 05 mach Z and trip.
We put in at the Soo and went to Wawa from there. If anyone decides to go to Canada dont even bother taking your Bombardier Mod helmet without a heatsheild this was my first mistake. The fact that it was -32F did not help matters any. Shipped my helmet home after finally making it to Jones powersports in Wawa and picked up a $400 HJC along with three of my compadres. Three dumb Americans = Nice little $1200 score for Jones powersports. Day two consisted of another 200 miles north to Hornepayne. This is where problem #2 occured. As I was leading our group of 8 the 94 mile journey from dubrearville to hornpayne was cut short. About 20 miles into the hard packed trail I noticed the machine was getting warm. The gauge never went into the red but came close so I slowed down thinking I had one of those Friday models with the loose hose clamps. I was wrong, no antifreeze problems and no loose hose clamps- the Mach's cooling system just doesnt like hard pack trails- period. Nevertheless the Mach didnt have to worry about the hard packed trail to Hornpayne. When I slowed down to check on the cooling problem, Viper compadre was sightseeing and not paying attention to my delimna. After I came to a stop he rolled his sled. He broke his shoulder and lost the top half of the Viper, we turned around and called it a day. Day three consisted of a burnt left side hand warmer with 345miles on the odometer, with a high of -25f I took it to the local repair shop in Wawa and had it fixed. Hope Bombardier reimburses me (yeah I know good luck to me). Day four consisted of alot of lake running, ran up the Magpie and tributaries. Lots of racing and radar checks. I noticed the track "ratcheting" under heavy acceleration so I had the track adjusted to Bombardier specs at the Bombardier dealer in Dubreaurville. This cured the problem but noticed the track "ratcheting" again after another 80 miles or so. Around 730miles on the odometer I noticed the engine light came on. The engine seemed sick when off the throttle and even backfired when I shut it down to try and reset itself. Probably has something to do with the decompression plugs but I will let the dealer play with it. Day five I became aware of the fuel tank pick-up flaw. The tank still had 1/4 on the gauge and about 2.5 gallons left but was running out of fuel if running down hill. I am sure Bombardiers answer to this dilimna will be for us to fork out another $120.00 for the form fitting fuel cell that mounts on the back of the sled.
In summary Canada rules. The 05 Mach z is a fast sled that performs well and handles great with the exception of a little ski jarring and a little pushing in the corners. It is very comfortable to ride. Outstanding acceleration when clutched and picked.
Summary
1. 288 miles fouled plugs
2. 345 miles burned up left hand warmer
3. 500 miles track ratcheting
4. 730 miles engine light on, ran rough, backfired upon shutdown.
5. 820 miles ran out of fuel with 1/4 on gauge. (make sure you ride uphill when at 1/4 tank.)
enjoy, eviltwin 05 mach z 192pics 1.175 woodys, clutch kit with clickers on 2

·
Registered
608 Posts
eviltwin said:
Just got back from Canada and have some insight on the 05 mach Z and trip.
We put in at the Soo and went to Wawa from there. If anyone decides to go to Canada dont even bother taking your Bombardier Mod helmet without a heatsheild this was my first mistake. The fact that it was -32F did not help matters any. Shipped my helmet home after finally making it to Jones powersports in Wawa and picked up a $400 HJC along with three of my compadres. Three dumb Americans = Nice little $1200 score for Jones powersports. Day two consisted of another 200 miles north to Hornepayne. This is where problem #2 occured. As I was leading our group of 8 the 94 mile journey from dubrearville to hornpayne was cut short. About 20 miles into the hard packed trail I noticed the machine was getting warm. The gauge never went into the red but came close so I slowed down thinking I had one of those Friday models with the loose hose clamps. I was wrong, no antifreeze problems and no loose hose clamps- the Mach's cooling system just doesnt like hard pack trails- period. Nevertheless the Mach didnt have to worry about the hard packed trail to Hornpayne. When I slowed down to check on the cooling problem, Viper compadre was sightseeing and not paying attention to my delimna. After I came to a stop he rolled his sled. He broke his shoulder and lost the top half of the Viper, we turned around and called it a day. Day three consisted of a burnt left side hand warmer with 345miles on the odometer, with a high of -25f I took it to the local repair shop in Wawa and had it fixed. Hope Bombardier reimburses me (yeah I know good luck to me). Day four consisted of alot of lake running, ran up the Magpie and tributaries. Lots of racing and radar checks. I noticed the track "ratcheting" under heavy acceleration so I had the track adjusted to Bombardier specs at the Bombardier dealer in Dubreaurville. This cured the problem but noticed the track "ratcheting" again after another 80 miles or so. Around 730miles on the odometer I noticed the engine light came on. The engine seemed sick when off the throttle and even backfired when I shut it down to try and reset itself. Probably has something to do with the decompression plugs but I will let the dealer play with it. Day five I became aware of the fuel tank pick-up flaw. The tank still had 1/4 on the gauge and about 2.5 gallons left but was running out of fuel if running down hill. I am sure Bombardiers answer to this dilimna will be for us to fork out another $120.00 for the form fitting fuel cell that mounts on the back of the sled.
In summary Canada rules. The 05 Mach z is a fast sled that performs well and handles great with the exception of a little ski jarring and a little pushing in the corners. It is very comfortable to ride. Outstanding acceleration when clutched and picked.
Summary
1. 288 miles fouled plugs
2. 345 miles burned up left hand warmer
3. 500 miles track ratcheting
4. 730 miles engine light on, ran rough, backfired upon shutdown.
5. 820 miles ran out of fuel with 1/4 on gauge. (make sure you ride uphill when at 1/4 tank.)
enjoy, eviltwin 05 mach z 192pics 1.175 woodys, clutch kit with clickers on 2
[snapback]278579[/snapback]​
well i own an '05 mach and live in marathon, the only 1 around that i know of, you were almost here and i rinde in the -30 weather pretty much every day on hard packed trails and my sled will not pass 1/4 way up the temp gauge, i like the modular helmet no more cords or fuss, u just have to clear out your exhaust tubes every once in a while, that was probably just the crappy "edit for bad language" gas we get around here that made you have problems i haul all my fuel from thunder bay, no problems yet, ran it right into the red on the gauge

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I was the other Mach-Z you saw on that trip I also fouled a plug around 400 miles, lost the left hand warmer (burned through) about 900 miles and smoked a belt on the magpie other than that the sled rocked and yes the heated sheild on the BV2s is the only way to fly in Canada in January.
My overall opinion of the Mach was Awesome power, could use beefier shocks in front, got same gas mileage as RX-warrior ton that was with us. I did find out that jumping driftes and riding powder creates alot of ice in the belly pan which will lock up your steering. (not good) Other than those minimal items compared to other brands in our group I had 1000 miles of smiles.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Locked steering is a minimal item.

I guess these things ARE for STRAIGHTLINE running only.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
see I told you guys it was freezing! everyone thinks I am on crack! THAT IS THE BIGGEST HATE I HAVE ABOUT THIS SLED IS THE FREEZING UP! CALL YOUR DEALERS AND MAKE THEM REPORT IT PLEASE!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
From what I hear the cat drivers are really enjoying the look of your new tailight as seen from a distance.
My bro has a mach Z and he kills me every time! Its all good!

·
Registered
696 Posts
MXZwithoutstuds said:
From what I hear the cat drivers are really enjoying the look of your new tailight as seen from a distance.
[snapback]279406[/snapback]​
I doubt they're enjoying the view.

·
Registered
345 Posts
There's a filter kit you can get to cover the vent, my dealer was out of them, so I put duct tape over it for now, I would strongly recommend a skid plate also as the nose cone is just there for looks, I ran over something punched a hole in it and the steering froze up.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'm not sure why you had problems with your Modular helment. I was in WaWa a couple of years ago, and it was just as cold, I didn't have any problems at all. Actually guys with electric sheilds were having problems. You are right WAWA is the best place I have ever riden. 17 miles down the Magpie river is just awesome, the trails are perfect with hardly any traffic.

Try some SLP powder Pro skis and your pushing in the corners will be gone. I love that Mach Z.

·
Registered
264 Posts
22Ski-doo said:
MXZwithoutstuds said:
[snapback]279406[/snapback]​
I doubt they're enjoying the view.

[snapback]279412[/snapback]​
Cat riders don't enjoy much of anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts