Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, hoping you can provide me with some suggestions!

My 05 Mach has a non-stock clutch kit in it. I intalled it last year to give me better speed and rpms and it worked great. It's the trail kit sold by the Sled Shop in Maine. This year we have been completely dumped on with snow and I find I've been doing a lot more boondocking on my sled. This is where my problem comes in.

It seems that when the conditions change for the worst my sled won't down shift and keep the rpms up for power. example: I'm attacking a hill with a foot & half of powder on it cruising at 70-80km/h and hit the hill/powder. As soon as it gets time to haul "edit for bad language" and show power my machine falls on her face and loses her rpms showing a very noticeable "bogging" effect. I know it is all to do with clutching. It's like my secondary is making the engine do all the work. If I stay on the throttle hard she will pull out of it slowly...but only because this engine has so much freakin power.

IMO I need a stronger secondary spring to force the belt out of the pulley quicker in these downshifting conditions. Right now the setup I have works good for hauling "edit for bad language" down a 1/4 mile strip but not for the playful snow conditions we have here now.

Has anybody else experienced this and what do you think I should do? Thanks dootalkers!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
cartwrighthotel said:
Hey all, hoping you can provide me with some suggestions!

My 05 Mach has a non-stock clutch kit in it. I intalled it last year to give me better speed and rpms and it worked great. It's the trail kit sold by the Sled Shop in Maine. This year we have been completely dumped on with snow and I find I've been doing a lot more boondocking on my sled. This is where my problem comes in.

It seems that when the conditions change for the worst my sled won't down shift and keep the rpms up for power. example: I'm attacking a hill with a foot & half of powder on it cruising at 70-80km/h and hit the hill/powder. As soon as it gets time to haul "edit for bad language" and show power my machine falls on her face and loses her rpms showing a very noticeable "bogging" effect. I know it is all to do with clutching. It's like my secondary is making the engine do all the work. If I stay on the throttle hard she will pull out of it slowly...but only because this engine has so much freakin power.

IMO I need a stronger secondary spring to force the belt out of the pulley quicker in these downshifting conditions. Right now the setup I have works good for hauling "edit for bad language" down a 1/4 mile strip but not for the playful snow conditions we have here now.

Has anybody else experienced this and what do you think I should do? Thanks dootalkers!
[snapback]689132[/snapback]​
I'm no clutch wizard by any stretch of the imagination, but based on what your saying i'd guess you've got "diff" ramps? for overall performance the stock 434's are likely to serve you the best. I can't remember where on here but i remember reading about 410's & 414's great for top end but poor or lacking on backshift? obviously before anybody can help you they're going to need to know what you've done to your clutch so they can say yey or ney no what you've done--my 2 cents.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts