Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just returned from Togwotee Wyoming. I was on a five day riding trip. My 05 Renegade 800 X is set up as follows:

Geared to 21/44
44/40 cam
hollow pins with clickers on 4 (at 9,000 ft it hit 8,000 rpm)
1.75 OEM lug 136x16
Ran the skid uncoupled with the blocks flipped over
Front suspension soft, center medium (need to increase due to extreme ski pressure on trails)
USI SPX skis with powder plates and shaper bars
Sway bar left in(omg….I hate the sway bar in powder or on the side of a hill)
Full skid plate
Air sock filter, grill and hood prefilter kits (these worked great…highly recommended)
I am 6' and weigh 235 lbs.

I had two choices of gas up on the mountain, either 91 or 87. When I ran the 91 the sled would have a small muffler backfire when I hit the kill switch. The 87 seemed better.

The guys I was with were riding:
M7 162 Limited
2 - 05 162 900 King Cat
99 RMK Polaris 136 700cc
00 Doo 700 Summit 136 that had been extended to 151x15x2
03 Rev 800 121 that had been extended to 151x15x2
05 F7 128x13.5x1.5 (the guy on this was an amazing rider!!!!!!!)

This was my first trip to the mountains….so my sled was far more capable than I was! We were riding in anywhere from 2' to 6' of snow. The snow didn't have a good base anywhere we went, so it was easy to get buried if the rider made a mistake.

Engine: I was very impressed with the engine and its pull. It adjusted to the altitude very well. I rode from 8,700 to 11,500 ft and the engine never seemed to do anything other run extremely well.

Track: I really like this track. It was obvious that I had more floatation than the 136 rmk.

Clutch/gearing: I really think the 21 to 44 gearing and the 44/40 cam made a big difference. I was able to ease the throttle into moving the track slowly. It was also an amazing amount of help to get out after I buried it. The 03 Rev Ski doo was not geared for the mountains and after the rider buried it, the sled always seemed to keep trenching when the throttle was used to help get it out of the trench it had made. Changing the gearing and the cam made a huge difference.

I could climb anything I wanted to. My USI SPXs really helped me hold a line while climbing. The front of my sled was always trying to go up the hill in the direction I wanted it to and if anything was going to the side it was always the spinning track, which just needed my weight shift to correct. This was a very big difference compared to the other 03 Rev Doo that had the precisions on it. He would come up the hill and the sled would be climbing but the skis would not direct the sled so it didn't matter how he shifted his weight…the sled would want to give to the slope of the hill and he seemed to get into trouble because of the lack of ski direction. Once he started to slide off to the side, it was usually all over, the precisions seemed to do nothing but make it worse.

The 05 Renegade 800 X is an amazing sled and everyone commented at how well it did…very strong pull, great climber, good floatation.

I only have one complaint. I bought the Renegade with the idea that I could ride both the mountains and the trails. The sway made it nearly impossible to side hill with any confidence. This also wore me out at times as I was putting a lot of effort into hanging off the sled on the side of hills. The 4" riser block was 2 to 3 inches too short with sway bar in for me to get any leverage on the sled to help pull it over. I did pull it over once, only to disappear off the sled as the it came over hard and planted me deep in the powder….it was very funny…so the guys watching told me…lol. The wide stance and the 7" wide skis on the front did not help my cause.

Any recommendations as to how to deal with the sway bar would be greatly appreciated. The skid plate and grill prefilter kit are already on, so it would involve taking out a number of rivets every time the sway bar was either removed or put back in. I do not know how difficult it is to remove or reinstall. Can someone comment on this? Does anyone make a segmented after-market sway bar that can be removed and put back in easily?

It was obvious I did not have the floatation of the 162s that were in the group. They could pretty much go where they wanted to and when it was too powdery for the rest of us on shorter tracks, they just rolled up and helped us get out.

The most amazing thing I witnessed was the guy on the F7. He went everywhere! His skill was something to be in awe of. A few of us just sat there and watched this guy on a 128x13.5x1.5. That was my biggest lesson….the rider makes all the difference.

My friend and I bought snobunje rattlers. Do not go out west without two of these in your group. They work!! We were able to ride a lot more because we used these to get out with and no one was overly tired from pulling and digging.

The only thing I need to do is increase the riser height and do something about the sway bar.

I also want to thank Big John for setting my sled up. He did the work on my sled and it performed extremely well, just like he said it would. Thanks Big John!!

·
Ski-Dooer
2,296 Posts
could you show me a pic of the sway bar and a brief description of it and the effect it has in and out? please and thank you.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The sway bar keeps pressure on both skis when it is in. It links the two a-arms together. It is a single bar that is bolted to the frame inside the engine compartment. It comes out both sides and then attaches to the a-arm with square blocks...you can't miss it. With the sway bar out, you can be moving sideways on a 45 degree hill and have the sled riding flat with both skis in the snow. If the sway bar is in, you hang out on the up-hill side and the down hill ski is in the air, making is a lot more difficult to keep the sled flat (side-hilling). If the sway bar is out while trail riding the sled is tippy because the outside turn ski isn't getting pressure from the sway bar to keep the sled flat on the trail.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Good report...I was out there at about the same time, and you're right, the snow was bottemless....it was great! We were running '05 800 Summit 151's and we would even get burried in the flats. I didn't think my Gade (sitting at home) would have a chance in that kind of powder, so it's good to hear that you were able to hold your own.

Let us know if you discover a way to take more wt off the skis!

·
Registered
156 Posts
It is a tool for pulling the sleds with. Instead of being bent over trying to drag the sled, the rattler allows you to be a few feet away and lean/leverage your total body mass into creating a very potent pulling force that can be used along with an easy throttle to get the sled out. The sleds have a tendency to pop right out of the trench. Then have the rider next to the sled, a little gas and push/pull at the same time the rider jumps on and cans it.....away he goes.

http://www.snobunje.com/products/Pulling_Tools.html

View attachment 13254

Vertebrate Eyelash Font Scaled reptile Art

The top picture is the rattler. The lower one is the cobra. You can combine both. You can also use a winch if you are deep in a revine. The cobra works really well with a 162...just hook it up sled to sled and pull the 162 ahead to the point where it just start to dig a bit. The stuck sled will pop out of a trench in a second.

Attachments

·
Registered
903 Posts
Thanks for not telling everyone what a crappy rider I was!! Hope you had a good flight. The heat quit working in the bus for the last 30- 40 miles. Can you say cold!BTW, my sled is a 2000. It used to be a lowly 136. I think I need more of BJ's help to get mine setup. I had a great time too, wish I could stay longer though.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Nice review!!! Post some pics if you have....Now mI am even more happy that I've bought the Gade not Summit 144....hehehe...we have not mountains in Moscow only big hills....

·
Very Advanced Member
1,355 Posts
The sway bar can be removed without taking the skid plate off. I took mine out last year for a week, then put it back in. If i get the chance to go out west, I would definitly take it off, and you raise a good point...A segmented bar would be awesome. I'm a machinist, might have to see if I can make one.

BS

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey 700 Doo!

It was a fun trip...we could have used a little more sun though! You are a good rider and I learned a number of things from watching you. The other thing I learned was that you are one of nicest riders I have come into contact with. You were always one of the first guys to ride up to help someone get out....great rider who is always willing to help!!!! If any Dootalk member has a chance to ride with 700 Doo....count yourself lucky!!! If you want to go out again next year...let us know when. It would be great to ride with you again.

We doo: would a hex joint work where there is a male/female coupling (dead middle of the sway bar) that could be locked together with hex bolts that were put in with loctite?

·
Very Advanced Member
1,355 Posts
I was thinking more along the line of mounting a center shaft so that it could rotate, put hex ends on it, and leave it permenant in the sled. Then make an arm for each side (from tha a-arm to the center shaft) with a female hex that could slide onto the center shaft and be held in place with a hair pin. that way it would only take a few seconds and no tools to remove the arms and you'd be independant.

Doo you think that'd work?

BS

·
Registered
156 Posts
uncoupled with blocks flipped allows more weight transfer.

we doo: if you can make it....sounds great to me. How would you keep the center rod positioned so that it does not work its way out? Would the pins offer the same stability and strength as the single sway bar? I wonder how much pressure is exerted through/against the sway bar???? I would pay a good price for segmented sway bar that could be easily removed and reinstalled that offered the same performance as the original OEM design!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just got back from 3 days in yellowstone. My sled is as follows

05 800X Renegade Snowchecked 1.75 track

Summit riser (rev me up this will help alot with side hilling)
Regeared to 20/43
left helix alone
Left the limiter strap alone
Rear springs 2 position
Coupler blocks had the fat part facing down.
change primary spring to to the Green violet
My sled already came with the lighter pins in.
I had my clickers set on 4 but then changed them to 5 the sled runs better around 8000-8100

Simmon Flex ski with powder wings, Best mountain ski no darting and not to hard of steering effort.

my riding group consist of

01 700 rmk, twin pipes,head 144 track
02 700 rmk ves, single pipe ,136 track
01 800 rmk single pipe 144 track
00 powder special with a 890 psi motor, 136 track

The conditions were fresh snow and lots of different terrain on all 3 days.

First let me say I am very happy with the sled overall. I could out climb all my riding partners except for the 190hp Powder special, he could get me but only by a foot or 2. We ride off trail 80% of the time. the trails that take you to the steep in deep are very rough single line, The rev chassis just shined here with the summit riser on I could just stand up the whole time till we got the hill of course I was there first. The complaint I have is that the front track shock would bottom out a lot, the next day I cranked it up but still he would bottom, I will have both my rear shocks revalved. We had 5 feet of bottomless powder so everybody was getting stuck. The Rev chassis just floats better through the deep snow. As far as side hilling wasn't bad at all. I had a summit x 151 one last year, this sled is 4 inches wider, I still could put it up on one ski at will. Rev me up side hilling is technique learned in a nice powder meadow doing powder turns finding out what the limits are. You have to do three things at one time, hit the gas, lean and turn the ski's the other way. Removing the sway bar will help tip the sled but you still need to know how to hold it. I been going to the mountains since 1991 every sled can side hill you just have to find it's sweet spot. As I mentioned earlier I had a 04 Summit 151 x last year, it was a great sled but it would wear me out when the snow was firm, too long, lot harder to steer and was a lot harder to jump and boondock through the trees.. I also do a lot of ditch banging when we have snow here. This sled is just perfect for my riding style. The wider front end on the renegade compared to the summit just gives a guy more confidence in the bumps, high speed and believe it or not also side hilling because my summit would actually tip over on me if I wouldn't pull a ski up. With renegade I just hit the gas go up the hill at an angle and didn't worry about tipping or pulling a ski up.

Now at the end of last day there we all lined up for a drag race at the airport except for the 890 powder special. So we raced 4 times and the results were about the same.

I took 3rd every time only beat the non ves 700 twin piped just barely,
The 700 rmk VES Single pipe won 2 out the 4 and 800 rmk non Ves single pipe won the other 2 these guy's were about 5 sled lengths ahead of me. I really didn't care about a drag race, I was more the happy I could out climb all these sleds, Like I said the Rev seems to float in the deep. But hey you just can't have enough power. Soon to add some mods just have not made up my mind.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Hey Rev,
Thanks for the compliments. I thought I was barely holding my own on this trip! I have to agree that Bill does an excellent job piloting that F7. Brian even made a comment to me that it surprised him when he made a climb and looked back to see who was hanging with him, that the F7 was always right there. You guys were fun to ride with also, and real gentlemen too. I would be happy to ride with you anytime. I will be getting a SnowBunje before I go to Cooke in February. I am 100% convinced that it is essential to carry one in the mountains. I hope you have a good trip next time out. Say Hi to Brian and Storm for me!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Xcrev,

With your conversion to the summit riser, how high is it now compared to what is stock on the Gade X? What is your riser height now?

I picked up a 6" powermadd, but I think it is only 1.5" taller than the stock.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Rev me up said:
Xcrev,

With your conversion to the summit riser, how high is it now compared to what is stock on the Gade X? What is your riser height now?

I picked up a 6" powermadd, but I think it is only 1.5" taller than the stock.
[snapback]272272[/snapback]​
I believe it's around 7 1/2 inches closer to 8 I won't be able to measure it till I get home. I know it's a good 3 inches higher then the other one. I just rerouted my brake cable around the oil tank and removed one zip tie.

I'm only 5'9 185lbs I have no problems using the hand gards with a summit windsheild, I have the riser angled back this will help when side hilling. On normal trails it's doesn't bother me at all.

Good Luck and like I said before practice powder turns in the meadows this will help you get a feel for sidehilling.

Good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.