Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sled was charged in dec, but has sat since then as my son has been away at school, and winter has yet to show up. Anyways, went to start it up on the weekend and it was too weak to turn sled over but I was able to pull start it. Went for a short ride but it was flashing engine light and running rough, brought it back and put it on the charger. Now when I press the starter button the relay makes noise but nothing else happens, if left alone the relay will continue making noise for about 30 secs before stopping. If you pull the cord the relay will stop, but still won't start with pull cord. Switched the two relays and it still does same thing, put new fuse in on top of battery, still same thing, anyone had this situation before?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sled was charged in dec, but has sat since then as my son has been away at school, and winter has yet to show up. Anyways, went to start it up on the weekend and it was too weak to turn sled over but I was able to pull start it. Went for a short ride but it was flashing engine light and running rough, brought it back and put it on the charger. Now when I press the starter button the relay makes noise but nothing else happens, if left alone the relay will continue making noise for about 30 secs before stopping. If you pull the cord the relay will stop, but still won't start with pull cord. Switched the two relays and it still does same thing, put new fuse in on top of battery, still same thing, anyone had this situation before?
When you say relay stays on for 30 seconds are you talking when you just bump the start button the lights come on the dash and fuel pump runs for a second ? I know it's stupid but has the key given you any issues ?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, when I hit the button the relay itself actually makes a clicky, buzzing sound and will actually continue for about 30 secs, unless I pull the pull cord it will stop, but still won't start. Haven't had problems with the dess, always carried spare 30 fuses for above the battery when it was my sled cause that's always been an issue, blew a voltage regulator once trying to boost the battery, but have never seen this. Did a quick search and couldn't find any info on this problem

·
Registered
657 Posts
ALWAYS HAVE A BATTERY MAINTAINER ON THE SLED. THERE 30 BUCKS AT THE STORE.

AND IF I WERE YOU I WOULD UNCLIP FUSE BOX ,FLIP IT OVER AND UN WRAP THE 3 WIRE SPLICES AND INSPECT FOR CORROSION. IT IS LIKELY CORRODED AND YOU PROB HAVE A SPLICE FALLING APART.

THIS WILL CAUSE GOOFY INTERMITTENT PROBLEMS AND THEN EVENTUALLY A NO START.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
The noise is the starter solenoid closing and opening. This is because when the solenoid closes the starter is electrically connected. With a weak battery (low voltage) the system voltage drops too low and the solenoid opens. It just cycles like this.

If it does not stop after you let off of the start button then that is a little puzzling. Could be that the ECM is confused because it could be dropping in and out too.

Charge that battery over night. It needs to read at least 12.8 volts when you take the charger off and stay above 12.5 if left overnight. ATV batteries are not very reliable and should be kept on a battery tender to avoid the kind of problem you are having.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, should have mentioned that I did charge the battery on a smart charger and it was showing full charge, but just in case I put in the good battery out of my 09 1200 and still same

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
If it is not a weak battery then the next think to check is for a bad connection. Start with the grounds. They need to be at the same voltage relative to the positive battery terminal. These connections do loosen up over time. Mine was loose from the factory.

Do you know how to use a multi-meter?

You can probe for where the voltage is not what it should be.

I can walk you through it.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Hook a multi meter up and try cranking. If it drops much below 8v while attempting to crank chances are the battery is toast. Try hooking a set of jumper cables to your vehicle and try it?

My guess is a cell is shorted and causing it to drop voltage when cranking dropping out the solenoid. Coils normally need around 7-8 volts to hold.

·
Registered
657 Posts
batteries last 3 years if your good to em. 2 or less if your not. if the 09 sled battery is from 09 its junk.

if you cant even start an sdi with a pull cord then its a deeper elect.problem. i had same issue and it seemed to deteriorate and get worse until sled wouldnt even power all the way up.

the modules are pretty robust and the wiring harness is robust to a point. but the open wires wrapped in some garbage paper tape from the factory (AKA splices) are a big deal.

your fuse box integrity is the heart of this thing.

unclip it flip it over ,remove the splice covering,fix the bad one or two,and clean up good ones and re tape(solder is the best to re connect)

·
President and Founder of Team Grampa
1,620 Posts
Been there, done that -- battery is shot. It might show proper voltage but it doesn't have enough oomph to run.

Reactions: IcutMetl

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
someone cancel this thread if you ask this many questions but never post results its worthless info no one will learn from it
I PM'ed him. Hopefully he will come back so this is not a "Dead End Thread".

This is why it is a good idea for an OP to use the "follow this topic" button.

I also like to click on my name and in the drop down box I click on "my content".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts