Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i am stumped. my sled starts whenever it feels like. i can pull twenty times and it wont go, then come try again and whamo first pull. and it does not matter if its hot or cold (the engine) sometimes 2 pulls sometimes 20. holding the throttle does nothing, priming just floods it. it has no spark when it happens, so i am nearly positive that it is electrical. at first i thought it was the kill switch, so i cut the wire and just by passed the switch. nothing. i have checked every connector, and the wires and caps look good. it does not effect the running of the sled either- runs like a charm. i only have the problem at start up. no cutting out no lights flickering everything else is good. i am losing it. nothing worse than stopping with a few friends to chat and your sled wont start. especially since it has 30 hrs on her. please any info would be Greatly Appreciated.

Ryan

·
Shortbus member
1,026 Posts
how many primes? when primng you can feel the primer fill up with fuel then 2 pumps & my 05 starts the first pull or second, usually the first! I have 320 both carbs 03 race needle & 25 pilots

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
440rev said:
how many primes? when primng you can feel the primer fill up with fuel then 2 pumps & my 05 starts the first pull or second, usually the first! I have 320 both carbs 03 race needle & 25 pilots
[snapback]750172[/snapback]​
it is definitly not a fuel problem. it has no spark. and only at start up. runs A1. once she does start no problems till i shut her down. sometimes first pull, other times 20 pulls to start. it is very unpredictable. really pissin me off. i went riding yesterday and it did not happen once. started like she always did, first pull. last night though, freakin twenty pulls just to put her in the garage!!!! i will check the recoil. thanks for the replies guys, any other info is appreciated! i love this site

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
#1)When it doesn't start....and then you pull it 30 times and it does start, what technique gets it going? Holding the throttle wide open?

#2) Do both plugs not spark when it doesn't spark?

#3) Have you disconnected the tether and tried it (when it is not sparking)?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tom White said:
#1)When it doesn't start....and then you pull it 30 times and it does start, what technique gets it going? Holding the throttle wide open?

#2) Do both plugs not spark when it doesn't spark?

#3) Have you disconnected the tether and tried it (when it is not sparking)?
[snapback]751087[/snapback]​
hey Tom,
no technique used, sometimes i hold her open and she fires, sometimes not. no spark from both wires. i have played with the tether many times for it seems to be that this would be the problem. i have tried holding in the tether button with my finger as i pull as well. i have cut and spliced the kill switch wires bypassing the switch- nothing so i reconnected them. i am totally stumped, i know a thing or two abut the 440's i have owned them for the last 5 years. it starts whenever it wants to. lastnight i went in the garage and tried to start her again. 3 primes first pull she fired right up. just like normal. it is so sparatic. any ideas?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tom White said:
I am wondering if you have a bad tether mechanism....so regardless if you hold it or not it may not be working. I would eliminate this as a possible cause first and foremost.
[snapback]752639[/snapback]​
eliminate how? i was told that if i removed the tether it would not run. i seem to think its the tether also. if i can just unplug it i will tonight and see if it works. thanks for the info.

Ryan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.