Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAD MY FIRST TIME ON MY 04 SDI TO RUN OUT OF FUEL.RUNNING 7000 - 8000 RPMS FOR A FEW HOURS REALLY CUT MY MILEAGE DOWN.2 OTHER FRIENDS WITH 05 GADE SDIS GOT WORSE MILEAGE BUT DID NOT RUN OUT OF GAS.I NEVER HAD MY PICKUPS MOVED BECAUSE I HAD NEVER RUN OUT.WHEN I FILLED I WAS ONLY ABLE TO PUT ABOUT 8.25 GALLONS IN.MY QUESTION IS THE 05 TANK ANY BIGGER AND WILL HAVING MY PICKUPS ADJUSTED MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE.NORMALLY I CAN AROUND 150 MILES TO A TANK WITHOUT RUNNING OUT PLAYING HARD TO THE BAR IN NORTHERN QUEBEC I ONLY GOT 97 MILES BEFORE I RAN OUT BUT IT WAS WORTH IT.

·
Just the Tip!!
2,504 Posts
Tanks are the same, if u take it easy and dont pin it to the bar u normally run around 19-21 mpg.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My 04 SDI gets a solid 20MPG riding mellow with the slower crowd, and 15MPG riding hard with the faster crowd. Checked many times in 3500+ miles, and its consistent.

At 15MPG, I though something was wrong with it, but it must be my thumb!

Monday, rode 140 miles on a single tank. Should have only been 90 miles between gas stops, but went down a poorly signed trail for 25 miles down and 25 back due to a logging operation. Added an unexpected 50 miles.

Sled only took 29 liters (7.6 US gallons). First 1/3rd of the tank was hammering, rest was riding pretty mellow at a constant 30-50MPH. Don't know how much more of the 2 gallons left it would have been able to run on.

18.3 mpg on that tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
DRZAP said:
I HAD MY FIRST TIME ON MY 04 SDI TO RUN OUT OF FUEL.RUNNING 7000 - 8000 RPMS FOR A FEW HOURS REALLY CUT MY MILEAGE DOWN.2 OTHER FRIENDS WITH 05 GADE SDIS GOT WORSE MILEAGE BUT DID NOT RUN OUT OF GAS.I NEVER HAD MY PICKUPS MOVED BECAUSE I HAD NEVER RUN OUT.WHEN I FILLED I WAS ONLY ABLE TO PUT ABOUT 8.25 GALLONS IN.MY QUESTION IS THE 05 TANK ANY BIGGER AND WILL HAVING MY PICKUPS ADJUSTED MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE.NORMALLY I CAN AROUND 150 MILES TO A TANK WITHOUT RUNNING OUT PLAYING HARD TO THE BAR IN NORTHERN QUEBEC I ONLY GOT 97 MILES BEFORE I RAN OUT BUT IT WAS WORTH IT.
[snapback]272694[/snapback]​
Brand new to the site...got a major issue with the 600SDI fuel quantity problem. I did get the service done regarding improper fuel vent installation, and the shop did confirm my pick-ups were down correctly. Still I run out,.....can run silent at minimum RPM and still get another 10 miles out of her to the pumps and than pump far less than published quanitity. My guess, my machine, 1.8 gallons of unusable fuel. Bull----. This is not what I payed for....having to carry fuel (weight) in the caddy to make up make of for BRP flaws. Anyone else got a fix for the 04 Gade?

·
Registered
267 Posts
When it is full to the top push the rear end of the sled down as far as you can (slowly or you will splash gas everywhere). The way the tank is shaped it gets an air bubble in the rear. After you get the air out it will take a good bit more gas.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just posted on the same topic. When I run out I still have close to 2 gals left. It is really bad when you are hammering the twisties.The 05's have a dish of some kind that the pickups set in which allows them use up more of the fuel. The problem with the 04's is when you spread out 2 gallons over the tank bottom there isn't much to pick up. My pickups are 1/4 off the bottom.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
putts said:
When it is full to the top push the rear end of the sled down as far as you can (slowly or you will splash gas everywhere). The way the tank is shaped it gets an air bubble in the rear. After you get the air out it will take a good bit more gas.
[snapback]311206[/snapback]​
Even better, don't wait until it is full to do this. Do it when you only get 3/4 full or so, less chance of fuel mess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Excellent post. I'm going to try Putt's and ns503's advice on filling my '04GSX SDI. Perhaps I'm not quite filling all the way? I find the fuel economy to be excellent but also am quite disappointed with the 'size' of my tank, hence range. I'd hoped for 150+ miles per tank but I guess 120 is going to be more realistic. It's a mental thing for me - "By God I paid for a 10.6 gallon tank!" I'm going to continue to watch this forum in the future for a workaround to this problem. Thanks everyone. gary

·
Registered
676 Posts
I was reading one of the snow rags last night on the couch, and it said the 05 REVs had some mods to the fuel pickup that only left about 1.8 litres in the tank. Can't vouch for it. I have gone maybe 120 miles on a tank before fueling up. I can't seem to get over the anxiety of seeing the tank read E and still have 4 gallons in it.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been researching it myself and am now pretty sure with the 04 the best you are going to be able to use is just under or around 8 gallons.We drained the tank as empty as possible and was only able to get 9 gallons even holding the rear down.With out a doubt the 05 is better but it still only has a 9.8 gallon tank it is able to use more of the tank.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Pretty sure it's 10.6 gal with the 05. Maybe you can only use 9.8.

·
Registered
38 Posts
DRZAP said:
I have been researching it myself and am now pretty sure with the 04 the best you are going to be able to use is just under or around 8 gallons.We drained the tank as empty as possible and was only able to get 9 gallons even holding the rear down.With out a doubt the 05 is better but it still only has a 9.8 gallon tank it is able to use more of the tank.
[snapback]315435[/snapback]​
Dr ZAP could you let me know if you or BRP comes up with a fix for the 8 gallon usable fuel problem? Dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
04 Rev and 05 SDI fuel systems are different. 04 only has a hi-pressure pump located in the tank. I believe the 05 SDIs have a low-pressure impulse pump (crankcase powered) that sucks fuel from the tank and feeds it back to the hi-pressure pump located in the tank. 04 only have the hi-pressure pump in the tank. I don't have an 05 so maybe the guys with 05s can confirm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is this just an SDI problem? I have an 04' 600HO Adrenaline with carbs that will run right down to 9.8 gallons exact. I have run dry a couple of times. The problem I have is the 9 mpg only get me to 90 miles before I'm looking for a tow.

·
www.kalcoinspections.com
3,186 Posts
I have an 800w/dpm and get 95 miles/tank (agressive riding) but on low or dry refills, I add over 9 gals.

·
H2O CROSSER 111
2,869 Posts
Rotax! said:
They are all 10.6, even the 03's are having the same problem.
[snapback]315895[/snapback]​
That is a misprint in the manual it is really only 10.02, anybody that gets more than that is full of bull

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In the 06 parts catalog it is still listed as a 10.5 gallon tank.I know the 05 sdi has a different set up with the fuel pump but it seems to still not let you use all of your fuel in the tank.We also have a 04 600 gsx nonSDI last weekend we were able to put 9.6 gallons in the tank and it had not run out yet and I was very confused?My sdi after runnimg out and having pickups dropped I still cant use 8 gallons.What about the PT sleds are they able to use more than 9 gallons of the tank?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts