Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the sake of comparison, what are you guys getting for fuel mileage in your 550 fans? This past weekend, I've gotten very close to 10 MPG. This is not incredibly hard riding, but it wasn't just cruising around either. From an economy type sled this was not the mileage I had expected.

Are you guys getting about the same? Higher? Lower?

I'm just wanting to know whether to accept it for getting poor mileage, or if there's hope that I could increase my mileage somehow.

Thanks

·
Registered
384 Posts
Its a carbed motor and its fan cooled, fuel is needed to keep it cool.
it uses more fuel than you might think. My 98 500 liquid got 5 miles to the gallon, the 583 motor got 4 mpg and my new 800 gets 7-8 so im prety happy. look into an sdi 600
I hear they get like 15-17 mpg

·
Registered
343 Posts
Riding mostly off trail on my Summit SDI, I can get about 160 to 180km out of a tank, which is 10 mpg or so. In the same conditions, my 550F GT gets 7 or 8. So I'd say you're doing o.k.

The SDI sleds might get 15 or 17 mpg if they're short tracks riding on groomed trails. A Summit riding off trail is a whole different ball game.

I love my 550 by the way. Great throttle response, great reliability, sounds good, lots of torque, light. I've never ridden a 550 Rev Summit but I expect it's a terrific ride (at least, at sea level).

·
Registered
449 Posts
AKsnow said:
it uses more fuel than you might think. My 98 500 liquid got 5 miles to the gallon, the 583 motor got 4 mpg and my new 800 gets 7-8 so im prety happy. look into an sdi 600
[snapback]718998[/snapback]​
Strange, my 583 gets about 12-12.5 mpg.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Velislide said:
AKsnow said:
[snapback]718998[/snapback]​
Strange, my 583 gets about 12-12.5 mpg.
[snapback]719013[/snapback]​
It all depends on what you're riding in. If you're pushing deep snow all the time, you can use 2x or even 3x as much fuel per mile as you would use with the very same sled running on hardpack.

It also depends on speed. If you're running relatively slow, climbing, and boondocking, then you'll use a lot more fuel than if you're running at an easy cruising speed with the clutches shifted all the way out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts