Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 440 with l/c domes clutch kit and I fowl out plugs all the time. sometimes i will within 3 minutes. I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem. the jets that i have in my sled are 280's. sometimes i will fowl out a plug and sometimes it will be running like its fowled out but when i take the spark plugs off when its running there both good.
please help

·
Registered
441 Posts
Have you changed the needles??? If you haven't you will run much too rich with the stock racing needles. Depending on what conditions you are running, I would think that 280 mains are a little too lean(mains are really only for 3/4 to wide open throttle). Most are running 320s or maybe 310s with a lot of success.

Let us know what needle you are running, what pilot jet you are running, and we can get to the problem pretty quickly.

hope this helps

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
well it could be a number of things, u could be using the wrong plug, u could be mixing wrong, and i think ur jetting is to high, i run with 240's

·
Registered
683 Posts
skidooboy99 said:
I have a 04 440 with l/c domes clutch kit and I fowl out plugs all the time. sometimes i will within 3 minutes. I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem. the jets that i have in my sled are 280's. sometimes i will fowl out a plug and sometimes it will be running like its fowled out but when i take the spark plugs off when its running there both good.
please help
[snapback]699316[/snapback]​
Tom White and Rev Baron have shared some great setup specs for their units - recommend doing some searching for their posts on this subject.

We have an 04 in our group that runs flawlessly in every condition we have tried from -25 degrees C to +5 degrees C, from ditchbanging/jumping to 200 mile trail/lake rides. Specs are:
- LC domes and stock base gasket (ended up with 140 psi)
- tempaflow
- trail needle clip on second position
- 330 mains
- 25 pilots
- Air Screw around 1.5 turns
- Idle Screw around 7 turns
- Clicker on 5

Reactions: skidoo fan77

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Sounds like a broken, chipped, warped or cracked reed petal to me. Remove the cages and hold them up to the light. Move the petals with your fingers because sometimes the cracks only show when you move them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
dslater said:
skidooboy99 said:
please help
[snapback]699316[/snapback]​
Tom White and Rev Baron have shared some great setup specs for their units - recommend doing some searching for their posts on this subject.

We have an 04 in our group that runs flawlessly in every condition we have tried from -25 degrees C to +5 degrees C, from ditchbanging/jumping to 200 mile trail/lake rides. Specs are:
- LC domes and stock base gasket (ended up with 140 psi)
- tempaflow
- trail needle clip on second position
- 330 mains
- 25 pilots
- Air Screw around 1.5 turns
- Idle Screw around 7 turns
- Clicker on 5
[snapback]700322[/snapback]​
I have mine set up like above except I use 30 PJ's, Have not fouled a plug since running this set up as of Jan 05. 440's are very fussy about OIL. Make sure you use a good quality synthetic oil mixing 33:1 to 40:1. I use BR9ES plugs that are always cardboard brown.

Tom White always advises well. Take the time to follow his instructions.

Oh, I may change my plugs now that I have reminded myself that it's been a year!
He, He

Good Luck

Craig

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was working on it today and I put the needles down to 2 once i did that it was running mint the plugs looked good but than it fowled out the plug once again. I haven't changed the piolet jets. what are they suppose to be at stock. I think i am giong to change them next. the temp. is about 20 degrees f.
hope you guys can help me thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
jets are 280's
piolet jets are stock
needle was at 3 i put it at 2 now
plugs br9es tried many different ones still fouls them out
reeds are brand new
exhaust valves- I haven't cleaned them yet but I am going to. the sled only has 300 miles on it. if you can help me that would be great I am thinking about going with a hotter plug.
temp that i mainly run this sled at is around 20 degrees F.
i run klotz oil and mix it at 40to1

·
Registered
108 Posts
Stock Needles are for race fuel:

Make sure you have Jet Needle 6EHY2-59 part # 404 162 066 set on second clip from top on that year, unless you've done air box, boost bottle and carb venting mods these needles work great with pump gas.

Craig

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Craig Redmond said:

Make sure you have Jet Needle 6EHY2-59 part # 404 162 066 set on second clip from top on that year, unless you've done air box, boost bottle and carb venting mods these needles work great with pump gas.

Craig
[snapback]701781[/snapback]​
I am guessing that the part # is for the stock needles. The needle was at 3 but i brang it down to 2 because it kept fouling out plugs and when it happened they were wet so i thougth that it was getting 2 much gas but i will probably bring it back to 3

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
All jetting issues aside, you have too much fuel present. You most likely have jetting issues too, but that is most likely NOT what is causing plug fouling.

If your reeds are good, I would do three things.

#1. Stop running Klotz and run anything else. No slam on Klotz, but the fact is that some 440's hate it. You can always go back to it if it proves not to be the culprit.

#2. Pinch off the primer line after the sled is started and see if it fouls a plug. A leaking primer will allow fuel to bypass the carb and can foul plugs.

#3. Clean your float inlet needles and check that both float arms are in the exact same position on both carbs. Please search this under "inlet needle" and perform this necessary cleaning (whether it looks dirty or not).

If you find one float height different than the other, bend the center tab to match the carb with the float arms that are closer to level with the carb body. DO NOT MAKE THE ARMS LEVEL....that is too much. Correct adjustment will have the arms still angling down toward the top of the carb (when the carb is upside down on the bench).

One word of caution, as you do the steps above and then start testing, I would not test it with 280's in it. That is pretty lean jetting. Not sure if you were attempting to control the fuel with the main jets, but go back to something closer to the norm like 320 and then fine tune from there. For testing, dropping the needle is fine.

·
Flyin Fox Daddy X3
31,302 Posts
skidooboy99 said:
Craig Redmond said:

Craig
[snapback]701781[/snapback]​
I am guessing that the part # is for the stock needles. The needle was at 3 but i brang it down to 2 because it kept fouling out plugs and when it happened they were wet so i thougth that it was getting 2 much gas but i will probably bring it back to 3
[snapback]701814[/snapback]​
Take your jet needle out and verify what part number is on it. I ran my LC domes with the stock 04 "race gas" jet needle and it ran like Crap! I never did foul a plug, but it would load up something terrible and got about 6 mpg.

Then do the tips that Tom posted.

Also what spark plug gap are you running??

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
im looking at the ski-doo instructions for trail calibration and the kit came with
350 mains...........these be ok?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
usedtoskidoo said:
im looking at the ski-doo instructions for trail calibration and the kit came with
350 mains...........these be ok?
[snapback]716566[/snapback]​
just watch your plugs. I don't know what kind of temperture it is where you are at but I have most people are running about 280's to 320's make sure your plugs are cardboard brown. also i was having problems with mine fouling out plugs and I switched to a BR8ES and now the sled is running mint I was running BR9ES.
josh

1 - 18 of 18 Posts