Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Sled: 2004 x800ho

History:

- bought with 1500 miles, 3-4 years ago at 2500 miles - rebuild topend, I put about 1500 or so miles on ripping powder & ditches since..

Current ride info:

- Last weekend ripped 50 miles first day of deep powder, boondocking & ditches, no issues. Next day we rip off 3-4 miles up the shoulder & ditches and all of a sudden she shuts down. Can't pull recoil or move primary. (The back up saved the weekend, but....)

I started tearing down and to my suprise................jugs & pistons fine but the fricken crank won't turn. Not sure if this matters but the clutch side of the crank was filled with gas. It was also hauled in the back of the pickup for 300+ miles up on the gate.

Any thoughts????

Thanks.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone have a key? ........... can you elaborate on the hydro lock? Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sorry to say this but welcome to the 800 crank failure club. do u self a favor (a) buy a new or prior year Etech ot (b) remove all components from engine; clutch,stator,pick up coilos,exhaust carb boots and,reeds. basicly a "long block" at this point, bring it to your local doo dealer and bring $1,400 gets u a new reman engine with a warrantee. fastest way to fly. lot of members and ive been there done that. wish u the best. cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
So with both the cyl. off crank still won't turn....If so sounds like a crank main bearing ..gas is in there because you where running hard and it siezed on the intake stroke so fuel came in lower end and didnt get to the trasffer up...nothing to worry about

Did you regrease the crank bearing when you rebuilt top end ...ski doo says every 2500 to 3000 miles (somewhere in those miles give or take )

·
Registered
154 Posts
I

So with both the cyl. off crank still won't turn....If so sounds like a crank main bearing ..gas is in there because you where running hard and it siezed on the intake stroke so fuel came in lower end and didnt get to the trasffer up...nothing to worry about

Did you regrease the crank bearing when you rebuilt top end ...ski doo says every 2500 to 3000 miles (somewhere in those miles give or take )
Funny guy... regrease crank bearings ever 2500-3000 miles... doo wouldn't sell 1 sled.

Other reliable sources here on doo-Talk claim 8-10,000 miles for crank bearing life, less if you skimp on oil.

GONZO,

If the ride in back of the pickup on the tailgate was after the sieze, that is the reason for the full crankcase, carb float stuck.

Tell us more about before the seize

·
Registered
525 Posts
To recap: Last weekend ripped 50 miles first day of deep powder, boondocking & ditche banging, no issues. Next day we rip off 3-4 miles up the shoulder & ditches and ,,,,,,,,,,,, coming out of the ditch, over the sholder onto the road...............all of a sudden she shuts down. Tried to e-start once then pull the recoil and move primary.....notta.

*We dragger her home, she sat for 2 days then put in the back of the truck with the gate up for a 7 hour ride then sat over overnight then off the truck.

- Crank is stuck in this position.

Before I take the sled somewhere or pull out the rest of the motor my self.....any thoughts or things I should to to narrow down the issue?

Attachments

·
Can Thread Patrol
3,971 Posts
On your 98?
On the MXZ and I did it to my Mach Z when I first picked it up on the drive back from Illinois. Back of the sled is way up, you drive it around, stop and go, hitting bumps and turning, it'll do it.

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
I'm curious where you found the gas line shut off valve.

·
hater on all xrs and freeride owners that drive li
2,307 Posts
dont worry about the hydrolock comments, not your problem. get the motor out and split the case. my bet is on the outer crank bearings pto first and mag second. center bearings are not very common on these motors but the outer bearings are greased with isoflex and after time and mileage it seems to go away... it may also be something simple like a mag they can jam up the engine and untill you pull the motor you wont know. another quick check with the motor in frame is pull the pto seal and see if there is any grease there and if the bearing is intact. if it's only an outer bearing you can buy them seperately and press them on. but check the run out on the crank first because i've seen a couple that went out of phase when it locked up under power.

and no there is not a fuel shut off on a rev, or any doo since the 90's

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
"and no there is not a fuel shut off on a rev, or any doo since the 90's"

Exactly ....

·
Registered
218 Posts
dont worry about the hydrolock comments, not your problem. get the motor out and split the case. my bet is on the outer crank bearings pto first and mag second. center bearings are not very common on these motors but the outer bearings are greased with isoflex and after time and mileage it seems to go away... it may also be something simple like a mag they can jam up the engine and untill you pull the motor you wont know. another quick check with the motor in frame is pull the pto seal and see if there is any grease there and if the bearing is intact. if it's only an outer bearing you can buy them seperately and press them on. but check the run out on the crank first because i've seen a couple that went out of phase when it locked up under power.

and no there is not a fuel shut off on a rev, or any doo since the 90's
X2!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts