Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, new here but so far these forum are very helpful.

i'm looking for a little info on a electric start install on my 04 mxz 800.

mainly torque specs for the ring gear and primary clutch.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
27,927 Posts
If the re-torquing after running on stand doesn't move the clutch bolt, try after riding for 30 seconds to a minute max. The second torque should turn roughly 1/8th turn at 65 ft-lbs.

TwoRevs, give it a try with 65 ft-lbs for first and second torque, and compare stand vs riding for 30 seconds and let us know.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info, going to be good to get riding it again, here in Manitoba today is -25 wind-chill -33 no way I can pull over that 800 to get it going lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
soooo, let me pick some brains here,

I installed everything, changed the harness above the air box, hooked up the power leads and I push the start button and get nothing ugh

doesn't power up when I push the button either.

checked power lead at the solenoid and the small red /white wire that engages the solenoid doesn't get power

I also have a 07 blizzard 600 sdi with electric start so I can check how it works there

all fuses are good, wiring tight .

what could it be?

·
Premium Member
27,927 Posts
Start with measuring the voltage at the 5A fuse. This is how the MPEM gets the power from the battery. With the red probe on the RD/GY wire side of the fuse and the black probe to chassis ground, it should read the battery voltage. You can keep measuring along the wires if needed.

The Start/RER switch can be tested for voltage on the side of the BE wire when pressing the switch.

The 600 SDI is a different animal, but the 500SS and 600HO have the same wiring. Below is the diagram I made for the 500SS. I traced the 5A fuse circuit, but I'm not sure of the accuracy since I drew it while watching Tori Kelly on the Late Late Show and I don't feel like double-checking tonight.

Grounds and Positives - Markup.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,927 Posts
I just realized this was an ES install with no power to the RD/WH wire at the solenoid. This could mean you don't have correct Configuration Harness for electric start. Does it have the 30A fuse?

The one on the right is Electric Start.

Configuration Harnes for non ES and ES 515 176 721.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I get 12.68 volts at the battery and at live side of fuse. dead side is somehow .003 volts without fuse

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
found some corrosion where the red/grn goes into the MPEM cleaned it but still the same, no power from red/grn at that point either

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
get power to the start switch , brown wire has power right up to the MPEM must be the MPEM no?

·
Premium Member
27,927 Posts
This is what I have so far. See notes in black font.

Battery 12.68 Vdc

5A fuse positive side 12.68 Vdc

5A fuse negative side (likely same voltage)

- Fuse needs to be in place to take the measurement

- Doesn't matter anymore since you measured voltage at the Start/RER switch

Start/RER switch has power on the BE (Beige sorta brown) wire right up to the MPEM

- Voltage is same as battery 12.68 Vdc?

RD/GR wire has no power

- This wire powers the starter solenoid coil

- Did you check voltage while pressing the Start/RER?

RD/GR wire at MPEM connection had corrosion and was cleaned with no change

·
Premium Member
27,927 Posts
Is the voltage out of the Start/RER switch (beige wire) the same as the battery or very close?

·
Premium Member
27,927 Posts
Forgot to ask if everything works well with pull start.

·
Premium Member
27,927 Posts
Start well will pull start?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts