Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lookin for some imput on the best gear for my friend on top without overgearing
My Bud is running a 1 inch track and 96 studs with a mild full clutch kit when I searched this I found numerous post on this except many were for the 600 h.o. and many had 1 1/4 tracks I believe his stock gearing is (from searching) is a
22/43 ratio 1.95 74 link, would a 24/43 ratio 1.79 74 link rob to much power down low and also hurt his top end, run out of motor or could a stock 600 pull this?
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SKIDOOMXZ500SS said:
ive got 21/44 on my 500ss that has a 1.5 inch track..... if that helps, great on bottom end.... you should run 23/46
[snapback]719068[/snapback]​
Thanks but I am not seeing a 23/46 in the 05 race manual ?
if that is avail. what link/ratio would that be

·
Just the Tip!!
2,504 Posts
Your allowed 2 drop or raise 2 gear sizes before switching chains if this helps.
Remember the bottom is different. For ever tooth on the bottom is the same as half a gear on top.
So say you go to a 22/45, Its the same as goin to a 23/43. One gear on bottom is half compared to on top.
If you want more top end go to a 24/43 and no more if you go more on top you will find out that your clutches will be hot to the touch and you will have tremendous belt slip, its harder on your clutches because its trying to pull more of a rotating mass in other words.
This should be ok this is stock gearing in the old ZX 600 sleds.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTANK said:
Your allowed 2 drop or raise 2 gear sizes before switching chains if this helps.
Remember the bottom is different. For ever tooth on the bottom is the same as half a gear on top.
So say you go to a 22/45, Its the same as goin to a 23/43. One gear on bottom is half compared to on top.
If you want more top end go to a 24/43 and no more if you go more on top you will find out that your clutches will be hot to the touch and you will have tremendous belt slip, its harder on your clutches because its trying to pull more of a rotating mass in other words.
This should be ok this is stock gearing in the old ZX 600 sleds.
[snapback]719095[/snapback]​
Thanks I will have him try that out Thanks Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts