Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spent the past week in Rangeley ME and put on another 1000 miles so my 04 has 4,500 total. A little about me for comparo reasons, 36 yo, 5'7" 180 and in peak physical condition if I do say so myself. The only changes I have made to my sled are a 80/100W bulb in one side and a 55/60W yellow in the other, a 2" Powermadd Riser and adaptor for of 3 1/2" of rise, that along with the 4" handlebars give me 7 1/2 overall, higher than an X-package with a 6" riser, nice. I even have the stock mobile windshield on the sled as it cuts the wind just fine. People notice that when I ride I don't even have to lean to get the sled around the corners and as I have been spending alot of time standing while riding all it takes is an easy tug on the bars, no leaning, just stand there and enjoy. I have changed my sliders at 2,800 miles, they still had alot of life but I was concerned about putting on another 1000 miles might have cut it close. I put on 4"+6" carbides at 2,400 miles and much to my surprise my left outside carbide is completely toast while all the others are good to go. The only explanation I could come up with was as I ride to the right of the trail and the outer ski is on pavement more/bad trail, it wore faster but right down to the host bar, carbide inserts were gone??? I put in 48 studs and this is why. When I first got the sled I noticed that the sled was not tail happy as in the rear end didn't want to fishtail in the corners and I didn't want to lose any speed with all the added rotational weight. I go just as fast and the same places as people with 144, 96, or 192 picks and have not a single issue with control. For example, this week I rode with Thundercats, Poo 800X's, Doo's with all sorts of picks in their tracks and I was able to outhustle them every turn of the way and more studs wouldn't have given me any more of an advantage. Anyhow, that is what I got for studs in there. I changed the belt at 2400 miles as well and I plan on changing it again this week as I have 4500 on the second belt. I am also going to get another set of 6" carbides so I'll have 6" inside and outside. I will be one to say that the Indecision/Precision skis are the balls on groomed trails. I just hang off the sled and the sled just rails, people marvel at how close and precise I stay on the inside of the turns, I have complete confidence in my front end. I notice all too many people who complain about the skis and I'll bet all they do is turn the bars and expect the sled to rail. I wonder how much flack I'll get from this but one has to ride the sled, not let the sled ride you. I fouled one plug early on when I had the sled and haven't fouled a plug since. Sled starts first pull hot/warm and on 3 pulls cool/cold. I run 87 octane and the Bombi-full-synth oil, not a single problem with the motor. I grease my zerks after every ride/weekend of riding, I was even able to get to the two front steering ones without removing the exhaust pipe. On my weeklong trip, everyone wanted to and did try my sled as they wanted to experience what it was like to ride a true stand-up sled and everyone loved it. At least 4 guys who owned Cat/Poo are going to get a REV. They saw how easy it was to go fast and handle so well, and along with how fresh and unsore I was they were sold. As it was, me and the only other guy with a REV last week would go out at night for another short 30 miler after a 150 mile day. Everyone else was beat from riding their old-style sleds, I pitied them. So all in all, the 500SS is just an insane, reliable, fast, comfortable sled, I've got 4,500 miles on mine to prove it.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
That is great ot hear !!!! I just got mine a few days ago and am love it already . Thank you for the great info.

·
Phil in the NEK
985 Posts
Considering the 500ss for my next - thanks for the report.

Speed wise - how does it compare? We ride fields alot and would rather not be lagging behind.

Phil

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Great to hear. I'm loving every minute of mine as well. Still playing w/ the setup as I'm not yet ready to throw in the towel on Precisions. I took the limiter in 1 and am playing w/ the front/rear shocks. I'm getting closer and from what you've said, sounds like when I get it in, I will have many miles of smiles.
I like that. I just passed on trading my 500SS for a slightly used 05 SDI because of the awesome reliability of the SS. I could have almost stole the SDI for what he would let it go for, but my mechanic even said that the SS has been bomb proof w/ mimimal issues.
Nut

·
TriCountyTrail
1,595 Posts
pasnownut said:
Great to hear. I'm loving every minute of mine as well. Still playing w/ the setup as I'm not yet ready to throw in the towel on Precisions. I took the limiter in 1 and am playing w/ the front/rear shocks. I'm getting closer and from what you've said, sounds like when I get it in, I will have many miles of smiles.
I like that. I just passed on trading my 500SS for a slightly used 05 SDI because of the awesome reliability of the SS. I could have almost stole the SDI for what he would let it go for, but my mechanic even said that the SS has been bomb proof w/ mimimal issues.
Nut
[snapback]302452[/snapback]​
Do you suggest 6" carbides on the inside or outside along with 4"?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried the 6" on the outside, it was ok, then I put the 6'ers on the inside and it has been better. What I noticed on the snowpacked lake and on snowpacked parking lots when turning was that the inside carbide was the one leaving the deeper groove. As I mentioned earlier, the outside carbide on the left ski had the carbide completely missing and half the host/wearbar was worn down, I don' t know how it happened as the carbides themselves only have about 1,600 miles on them and the other three are still plenty good. The only explanation I have is that the outside carbide on the outside ski is the one that sees the most street action. As in the SkiDoo 2005 brochure, " . . . . the Adrenaline is for experienced, aggressive bump loving riders . . . " One can't just be lazy on the sled and expect it to rail around the corners. When I hang it out at some admittedly high speeds, I can get my sled to hold whatever line I want on a groomed trail, my knee sticks out over the side panel and all but my line holds tight. I'm going to a 6'incher inside and outside for what should be great front end plant in the turns. Glad you all liked the post, I like riding but I like writing and reading reviews too and this site is like SnowTech only for REV's, awesome!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice report. Thanks for all the info.
If the second 6" carbide leads to darting too much, please let us know.
Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great report!
I am also loving my ss. I have 2200 mi on mine and have it set up perfect. I had the same prob with the carbides on the left side being completely gone and the rest being in good condition. I also put 6" o the inside and out. I would recomend the 500 ss to anyone!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm racking my brain to think of why that left outside carbide is so worn. Could it be because as the engine is oriented to the left in the frame that the balance of the weight is on the left side?, or the clutch spinning puts more centrifugal force ont he ski? It is a mystery, or is it from what I suspect, all the worn trail and side of the road riding putting that ski and carbide on the street.

Did I mention the incredible gas mileage this motor gets? All the guys I rode with were putting in $10, 11, 12+dollars into their sleds while I was stuffing mine with $5-5.70 worth of gas! And I'm leading the pack and hauling "edit for bad language" along the way! Guys with the biggest motors complaining about how much gas they are using and we are all going to the same place and arriving at the same time, go figure. At one place, Bosebuck, they were selling gas for $2.95 a gallon and the average in Maine and NH was $2.12 - 2.32 a gallon.

Poor Rangeley and Pittsburg though, it has been so warm up there every day alot of the portions of the trails are mud and as it is in the 40's again today and this week and no snow in sight, this winter has been the worst in recent memory.

There was a post asking if I'd stick with SkiDoo again, and if the sled was like this or, could it even be better?, then yes, I'd get the new improved version but the reliability and the running cost is just mind boggling.

I haven't had to bring my sled to the dealer once and don't plan on it. I'm planning on beating my buddies record for most miles on a new sled, 9,000. I plan on getting at least 2-3 more years out of this one. One thing I don't do often is hammer the sled, that is run it WOT. Even across lakes I hold it at 60 mph or less as I want the motor to last. I get it going plenty fast on the trails but ease up on the wide open stuff.

I look out at all the issues with rings, SDI and I just can't identify with all that as my trusty 597cc Series III motor just keeps humming along, God Bless the 500SS.

·
Registered
872 Posts
my 04 500ss has 3000 miles on it with Absolutley no problems..... thanks for the post .... my sled will be a 800 ho power tec..... just bcz i want more power when going through tight trails..... Ray..... the 500ss is the fastest sled and best clutching stock that i have ever rode.... Ray

1 - 13 of 13 Posts