1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings

my wifes sled was always a pig on gas but this is crazy

its getting about 4 mpg

the plugs look fine they are not black, it does not seem to run rich but for me its hard to tell.

its not leaking that I can tell it actually runs great

the only thing I can think of is I installed Rage Cages last year but did not know about going to the next size down on the jets.

Could this be the problem? Kinda hard to believe but I dont know what else to think

another thing is the power valves have never been cleaned in the 3 years we have owned the sled, that is on the to do list

the sled has about 7000 miles on it. I think it had the piston update done on it long before we bought it

thanks

·
Registered
523 Posts
You say it's your wife's sled ? It's getting that bad of mileage with her riding it ? Mine will get 7 if I take it easy but if I'm on the gas a lot it drops drastically.

I also have the Rage Cage and reeds on my 800 with the stock jetting , though I have had mild porting work done on the cylinders. Have you checked the compression?

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
Its the gearing. Believe it or not if you lower the gearing the gas mileage will go up. The 26/43 stock gearing is way to high. I went to 25/45 and not only woke the sled up, it improved the gas mileage. Had Boyesen's and stuck with the stock 380 mains also. 1.25" studded Ripsaw too.

Reactions: TwoRevs

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Most likely the oring on the floats are bad. Can replace them with an arctic cat one but dont know the number. Try to find the fixing small issues thread as it was mentioned in there. Also make sure the needle retaining clips are in properly

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You say it's your wife's sled ? It's getting that bad of mileage with her riding it ? Mine will get 7 if I take it easy but if I'm on the gas a lot it drops drastically.

I also have the Rage Cage and reeds on my 800 with the stock jetting , though I have had mild porting work done on the cylinders. Have you checked the compression?
thanks for the reply!

Yes its that bad with her riding it

I have not checked compression, when I pull start it it takes a normal amount of pull, it runs real good and switches into reverse just fine so I dont think its a compression issue, but I can check it easily enough.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its the gearing. Believe it or not if you lower the gearing the gas mileage will go up. The 26/43 stock gearing is way to high. I went to 25/45 and not only woke the sled up, it improved the gas mileage. Had Boyesen's and stuck with the stock 380 mains also. 1.25" studded Ripsaw too.
this makes sense. What you are saying is its not getting into its power band if I understand you correctly

she is a slow driver, she averages 20 mph on the twisty forest trails we ride here.

Maybe its not making enough R's to get it into its happy zone?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most likely the oring on the floats are bad. Can replace them with an arctic cat one but dont know the number. Try to find the fixing small issues thread as it was mentioned in there. Also make sure the needle retaining clips are in properly
thanks

wouldnt bad o rings show up with black plugs? I had the carbs apart and cleaned them when I did the rage cages last winter, I can check them and also check the needle clips, but wouldnt these issues cause a running condition problem? Like I said it runs perfectly fine

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
The power valves aren't gonna affect it at 20-30 mph. Does this 03 have the beaver tail delete? If she only is running 20-30 mph there may not be enough snow getting to the rear cooler causing it to run hot. If the hyfax aren't getting enough snow for lube this will cause them to get hot and put more strain on the engine all of this will knock the heck outta fuel mileage. Im guessing she never leaves the trail to get some loose snow into the skid and up to the coolers. I'm not knocking your 03 800. But that's really not a sled designed for your wife's riding style.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
thanks

wouldnt bad o rings show up with black plugs? I had the carbs apart and cleaned them when I did the rage cages last winter, I can check them and also check the needle clips, but wouldnt these issues cause a running condition problem? Like I said it runs perfectly fine
Not necessarily, and just to be clear I am not speaking about the needle clip but the needle retainer which keeps the needle from coming out of the slide. Also this retainer must be installed correctly or it can also make it use more fuel allowing the needles to raise

·
Registered
173 Posts
The power valves aren't gonna affect it at 20-30 mph. Does this 03 have the beaver tail delete? If she only is running 20-30 mph there may not be enough snow getting to the rear cooler causing it to run hot. If the hyfax aren't getting enough snow for lube this will cause them to get hot and put more strain on the engine all of this will knock the heck outta fuel mileage. Im guessing she never leaves the trail to get some loose snow into the skid and up to the coolers. I'm not knocking your 03 800. But that's really not a sled designed for your wife's riding style.
It has the beaver tail delete. It also runs Duraflex scratchers since we ride a lot of hardpacked roads to get to the trails. It does not run hot at all

believe me I would love to get her out of this sled. She just loves it. I wish the motor would blow lol

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
What has me puzzled is the plugs aren't black,its being run at slower speeds. He says the motor runs fine. A carb problem causing overfueling is gonna make those plugs snotty looking and black as black can be . how much oil are you using 4mpg you should be using quite a bit I should think..next time you're out with this sled ride it as she does see what RPMs its turning at the speed she normally runs. feel the coolers and hyfax

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not necessarily, and just to be clear I am not speaking about the needle clip but the needle retainer which keeps the needle from coming out of the slide. Also this retainer must be installed correctly or it can also make it use more fuel allowing the needles to raise
Gotcha

I will pull the carbs off and take a look

thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What has me puzzled is the plugs aren't black,its being run at slower speeds. He says the motor runs fine. A carb problem causing overfueling is gonna make those plugs snotty looking and black as black can be . how much oil are you using 4mpg you should be using quite a bit I should think..next time you're out with this sled ride it as she does see what RPMs its turning at the speed she normally runs. feel the coolers and hyfax
it does use a lot of oil. But the plugs are clean, almost like they have been washed with fuel. They are not tan color.

But I would think if they are being washed with fuel it would be affecting the running condition

·
Registered
2,550 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is definitely not good. Both plugs look the same or one worse than the other? Its gotta be affecting how it runs.
no the plugs look exactly the same

they are both perfectly clean but they are not dry.. gotta be gas/oil on them but I dont understand why they are not black and I am not billowing black smoke. It runs like there is nothing wrong with it. If it was not for the crappy mileage I would not even know anything was wrong.

Really hard for me to say, this is the only sled like this I have ever run, my other sleds are a RX-1 and a 98 Yam Vector carbed, I had a 95 Indy EFI before that. And my wifes old sled was a 95 Z440 Arctic Cat

Maybe it is not running right and I cant tell. I drive it and it rips right along. She does not complain how its running either. We have had the sled for about 3 years

1 - 20 of 128 Posts