Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well the weekend I got to do a bit of racing with my buddies one feller got a 2006 snopro F7 and the other got the base 2006 F7. Both of the sleds were stock with the 1.375 track and mine got a 1.25 ripsaw, geared down 2 teeth and got Dynamo joes clutch kit(this is the zx-x chassis too not rev). We were racing on a pond with about a foot of fresh snow so really that should give the advantage to the F7's. When we raced I used to take both of them outa the hole and pull them slowly at the start then when we were goin father I would leave them faster. The feller with the sno pro raced a 2006 renegade 800 ho powertech and used to take him for fun after we raced he was pretty surprised he said that i was defently pullin him.

·
Metalhead
9,088 Posts
Hi Trev:

Going from stock 26 top to a 24 top gear is great enhancement for acceleration from low to mid/high ratios.

You could drop 3 top teeth going to 23:43 and still pull off same top mph, it will pul darn hard to top speed.

Any lower gear than that 23 or similar gear ratio, then that should be used for more extreme off-trail or point-shoot river running and that ilk....

Happy tuning

Joey

·
Registered
244 Posts
i talked to a tech at my dealer today about gearing down my 02 800 from a 26/43 to a 24/43 and he said that it probablly wasnt a good idea. he said that i will lose top end speed, the belt will ride higher in the clutch, and the engine will hit the rev limit. this contradicts alot of what i have read on this forum. can anyone who has regeard 800 to a 24/43 tell me for sure? what about 3 teeth? will the topend really stay the same when lowered 3 teeth? thanks
-mooch

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
moochdog said:
i talked to a tech at my dealer today about gearing down my 02 800 from a 26/43 to a 24/43 and he said that it probablly wasnt a good idea. he said that i will lose top end speed, the belt will ride higher in the clutch, and the engine will hit the rev limit. this contradicts alot of what i have read on this forum. can anyone who has regeard 800 to a 24/43 tell me for sure? what about 3 teeth? will the topend really stay the same when lowered 3 teeth? thanks
-mooch
[snapback]688116[/snapback]​
Go for it I dont think you well be dissapointed, you probly wont notice much top gone but anyways how often are u gona top out. Your rpms might change but you can adjust the clickers on your clutch for that. When I did mine I put Joes clutch kit in and weights so Im not sure how much your rpms well be afftectd shouldnt be much. Im not sure about dropping 3 teeth probly would have to change your chain.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
moochdog said:
-mooch
[snapback]688116[/snapback]​
Did you talk to a mechanic, or the dude working at the counter?

Try it out, check belt deflection, and max rpm. You learn by tuning, time to get your hands dirty.

·
Registered
244 Posts
how do i check belt deflection? also, do i need any special tools to adjust the clickers on the clutch if need be? how are the clickers adjusted and what do they do? I know my sled pretty well but clutching is one thing i have stayed away from for now.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All you need is a normal socket or wrench theres three of them on your clutch with settings 1-6 they should be on 3 now you just loosin the nut then push it out so far and turn it to the setting. They change your rpms so much every setting Im not sure what way you go to raise them its in your handbook anyways or just do a search Im sure you well find some info. I never had to change anything with my belt deflection or anything.

·
Registered
799 Posts
moochdog said:
how do i check belt deflection? also, do i need any special tools to adjust the clickers on the clutch if need be? how are the clickers adjusted and what do they do? I know my sled pretty well but clutching is one thing i have stayed away from for now.
[snapback]688541[/snapback]​
you don't need to adjust the clickers unless you are getting too much rpm at WOT or too little, but only at WOT. It doesn't do anything other than change the max rpm; + or -.

The tach's are 200rpm high or so. the 800s max rpm is 7850 so you shouldn't see more than 8000-8100 on the tach at WOT.

People adjust them all the time for different snow conditions; ie deep powder you may not be getting full rpms so you go up a clicker #. Every number on the clicker you go up or down represents 200rpm. Stock setting is #3, as mentioned so if you aren't getting full rpm's you can go to #4 which increase the max rpm by 200.

make sure you don't loosen the locknut completely off or you can loose the little spring inside. Doo it very slowly until you can move the clicker to the desired # by hand. Make sure all the clickers are on the same number.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts