Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey hows it going im new to the forum. i got a 2003 mxz 700 adrenaline with 2600 miles on it. the thing starts pretty hard i gotta give it atleast 5 or 6 good pulls before it fires up. when it is running its blowing blue smoke which means its burning oil. i see that there is oil build up on the right side of the y pipe. any ideas as to be why its leaking oil out there? i did a compression test and got 115 on each cylinder which seems to be pretty decent. the sled does have a can on it. other than that im not sure what it has done motor wise. how would i check to see if the reeds have been done?

any help would be greatly appreciated

thank you

·
Registered
13,550 Posts
115 is pretty low on that 135 and up would be better. Y pipe could be cracked or gaskets leaking, or rave bellows leaking down. Reeds you need to pull the carbs and take a good look minimum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your response. im heading out to go pull the carbs right now. would it be beneficial to pull the head off to and see what the pistons look like. possibly change the rings to get more compression? what should i use for gasket material on the y pipe?

·
Registered
13,550 Posts
You can pull the head if you wish, but pulling the reeds and the y-pipe might let you know more about the condition of the pistons. If the pistons and cylinders are in good shape than you can probably get away with just rings. As for gaskets, it might be a good idea to just by a complete engine gasket set, or atleast a top end set. It will be cheaper than buying individual pieces and if you keep the sled for a couple seasons you will probably use them. Are you sure your compression tester is accurate? Maybe compare to another similar engine if you can.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i pulled the carbs. where abouts are the reeds located. in the black boot attached to the motor? i will also go about pulling the y pipe off to check the pistons and cylinders. before i took out my carbs my idle was up at 3000 rpms. occasionly i could get it to drop by reving it up a bit but it would just climb back up to 3k. i reved it up a good bit and it would pop in the higher rpms and would not have any power. thanks for your help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i removed the reeds. one of them seems to be delaminated and ripped. and the one on the side where the oil is leaking on the y pipe seems to be a lot newer. the rubber is stiffer it is still all in one piece and the color is different. i have been looking around online for boyesen rage cages and cant really seem to find any other than on ebay. can anyone point me in the right direction. as for looking at my piston... i cannot see the top of the piston from where the reeds are located. the sides look good no scarring or damaged. slight discolor but nothing major. will i have to pull the head to see the tops of the pistons? thank you!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
If your idle keeps climbing to 3000 and it wont go down unless u hit throttle and then climbs. You have an air leak somewhere. Could be carb boots ot crank seal start your sled and use carb cleaner and spray around crank seal then carb boots and stuff it rpm changes then there is a leak where you just sprayed. If you do this tell us the results.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i am definitly relpacing the reeds and boots. I am planning on ordering boysens but i was hoping to find them cheaper somewhere else but i guess ill bite the bullet and just spend the money tonight. is the crank seal on the side of the belt or the other side. i also see a dipstick on the side opposite of the belt. im assuming thats the crank case. what do yall recomend using if i drain it. what kind of fluid? this is the first sled im workin on. thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
The crank seal is right behind the primary clutch where the crank comes out of the case. The thing with the dipstick is your chaincase.

·
Registered
682 Posts
i am definitly relpacing the reeds and boots. I am planning on ordering boysens but i was hoping to find them cheaper somewhere else but i guess ill bite the bullet and just spend the money tonight. is the crank seal on the side of the belt or the other side. i also see a dipstick on the side opposite of the belt. im assuming thats the crank case. what do yall recomend using if i drain it. what kind of fluid? this is the first sled im workin on. thanks for the help
The dip stick is for your chaincase. Your should change the oil in it every season with chaincase oil. I would hold off on buying the reeds until you know where your air leak is. If it is your crank seals it is going to cost you a few bucks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well one of my reeds is junk anyways so i need to replace them. and i could see how the petals wernt closing all the way so i feel that the air is leaking through there. what are you thinking price wise if my crank seals are in fact bad?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alright well i put the old reeds in just to get the sled running again. i sprayed carb cleaner down at the crankcase and my rpms raised. Shocker... so just for edit for bad languages and giggles i sprayed some on the carb boots and the throttle raised again which i knew was going to happen. so is it just a seel for the crankcase that i need to change? and how involved is it. anyone know of a good write up on how to do it? thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts