Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a brand new 03 MXZ. 0 miles from a dealer. Finally got the chance to ride last weekend and it was great. Broke the motor in on Sat. then let loose on Sun. Beautiful riding on Mt. St. Helens. Only one problem. The sled is suppose to have reverse, but I couldn't get it to engage. Any tricks? I followed the instructions and even had an experienced ski doo rider try to engage it with no success. Any easy fix before I run it in to the dealer? I want to ride not wait for the sled to get outa the shop.

·
Registered
954 Posts
whats it idling at? it should be 1600 or a lil more. you can adjust it with the thumbscrew on top of the carbs. i have seen them idling too low and not engage. and as the motor breaks in the idle will change.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
76TNTRV said:
whats it idling at? it should be 1600 or a lil more. you can adjust it with the thumbscrew on top of the carbs. i have seen them idling too low and not engage. and as the motor breaks in the idle will change.
[snapback]734328[/snapback]​
That could easily be the problem, it actually has a difficult time starting as well (3-5 pulls when warm)... I'll try it tomorrow and post the results. Thanks

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
towndawg said:
76TNTRV said:
That could easily be the problem, it actually has a difficult time starting as well (3-5 pulls when warm)... I'll try it tomorrow and post the results. Thanks
[snapback]734386[/snapback]​
A warm Ski-doo needs WOT on start-up's........generally has been that way since mny first ski-doo backin 97.........and I have owned about 12 ski-doo's

Reversese sounds goofy.............make sure it isn't set to the high alltitutred settign, read your manual.......some times a little blip of the choke before you hit the reverse button.........if that fixes it........install #20 pilots, or turn your fuel screws OUT 1/2 turn from where they are.....

Also, did dealer go through the carbs before he sold it to you? 3 years of sitting ona shelf, needs carbs to be checked.........also, I would be a Little bit nervous about your crank bearings, crank bearings sitting in one spot for 3 years is scary

I am curious how much you paid for the sled too,a nd where you got it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tweener said:
towndawg said:
76TNTRV said:
A warm Ski-doo needs WOT on start-up's........generally has been that way since mny first ski-doo backin 97.........and I have owned about 12 ski-doo's

Reversese sounds goofy.............make sure it isn't set to the high alltitutred settign, read your manual.......some times a little blip of the choke before you hit the reverse button.........if that fixes it........install #20 pilots, or turn your fuel screws OUT 1/2 turn from where they are.....

Also, did dealer go through the carbs before he sold it to you? 3 years of sitting ona shelf, needs carbs to be checked.........also, I would be a Little bit nervous about your crank bearings, crank bearings sitting in one spot for 3 years is scary

[snapback]734437[/snapback]​
WOT it is ... will try tomorrow, will also check the high altitude setting.
$4400, Spokane, I wouldn't think the carbs would be an issue since there was no fuel through them. Likewise the bearings since there was no load. Granted it it would have been a problem if not stored in a heated showroom. If the way it runs is any indication then there is nothing wrong internally (100mph down the trail)

thanks

·
Registered
299 Posts
towndawg said:
tweener said:
towndawg said:
76TNTRV said:

$4400, Spokane, I wouldn't think the carbs would be an issue since there was no fuel through them. Likewise the bearings since there was no load. Granted it it would have been a problem if not stored in a heated showroom. If the way it runs is any indication then there is nothing wrong internally (100mph down the trail)

thanks
[snapback]735078[/snapback]​
With all this WOT talk, I would like to make a suggestion. I have got in a habit when I do WOT to get it start, I have my cord hooked to my right glove (glove that holds the throttle) and I always put that one on first, start it and then put on my left. If it would get a jump on you OR the throttle would stick, you would not end up running. Just my 2 cents. Had a run do the same thing and it took off across a field and into a tree.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wireless101 said:
towndawg said:
tweener said:
towndawg said:
76TNTRV said:

thanks
With all this WOT talk, I would like to make a suggestion. I have got in a habit when I do WOT to get it start, I have my cord hooked to my right glove (glove that holds the throttle) and I always put that one on first, start it and then put on my left. If it would get a jump on you OR the throttle would stick, you would not end up running. Just my 2 cents. Had a run do the same thing and it took off across a field and into a tree.
[snapback]735087[/snapback]​
How about locking the brake on...

·
Registered
299 Posts
towndawg said:
Wireless101 said:
towndawg said:
tweener said:
towndawg said:
76TNTRV said:

thanks
[snapback]736498[/snapback]​
just one more step to riding, i just hook it to my glove and it reminds me
do what you wish

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Wireless101 said:
Been there done that 3 miles on a 1995. Primed it and it didn't start primed and it didn't start. Primed and it started, reved to about 5000 and took off, slid into a tree. $3500 damage plus MAJOR embaresement. Hook up the lanyard, or put brake on or both.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wireless101 said:
towndawg said:
Wireless101 said:
towndawg said:
tweener said:
towndawg said:
76TNTRV said:

thanks
[snapback]736498[/snapback]​
just one more step to riding, i just hook it to my glove and it reminds me
do what you wish
[snapback]736617[/snapback]​
I meant the brake as an additional safety feature not instead of the teather.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.