Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaving on a trip this Friday, I've read some posts on this recoil being a problem, any ideas on a permanent fix? Newer model recoil? How hard is it to pull and rebuild? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Neli said:
I'm leaving on a trip this Friday, I've read some posts on this recoil being a problem, any ideas on a permanent fix? Newer model recoil? How hard is it to pull and rebuild? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[snapback]748892[/snapback]​
I had An 02 800 Renegade, there was a recall on the recoil starter that year, so yours should be okay in that respect. After mine was fixed I was on a week long trip and the bolts that hold it on backed out and were lost. To top it off the holes were stripped out. It wasn't fun wrapping the clutch the rest of the week, especially when it snowed like 4 feet one night and the next day was allot of getting unstuck and having to shut the sled down , mainly to prevent overheating. The hot light would come on after about 5 minutes of idling. Some of the time, if I was waiting I'd keep packing snow onto the heat exchanger. It wouldn't have been so bad if that sled fired on the first pull, but it was finicky depending on how long you let it sit. Dead cold it would fire on the second pull. First pull if you just shut it off, but over 15 minutes it might of taken 10 pulls. no choke, choke, etc. *%@. When I got home I went out and got some stainless bolts,washers,and nyloc nuts. I used the bolts as studs (I had to grind the heads down on some of them so they would fit) This fix worked great better than new. While I had the recoil off I decided to rebuild it. (saw some wear) Worked fine the first time, but then I went to fire it up to load it for a trip and the darn thing grenaded on me. I believe I did something wrong with the Knot on the end of the rope and it caused the metal clip that holds everything together to be pushed off-- cheap setup. This was the night before I was leaving so I had my wife bring it to the dealer the next day and he fixed it cheaper than I payed for all the parts I bought to rebuild it. Granted he didn't put in all new parts like I did. But after all that I was always leery of that pull starter. Thats what made me spring order a new sled (05 500SS) with electric start. No more sleds without electric start for me. By the way, It is not real hard to get off. You have to pull the exhaust pipe and can out to get at it though. Use lock-tite on the bolts. Yeah when I asked the dealer about why mine came loose in the first place(cause he installed it) he said " 2 strokes vibrate allot and things come loose" I wasn't too happy with that reply but he made up for it when he got the recoil that I screwed up fixed promptly and reasonably priced

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
call ingles performance for just over 100 they have the complete recoil just bolt on and go!! best 100 i have ever spent on a part!

·
www.kalcoinspections.com
3,186 Posts
I just put in a new spring and a couple of new plastic pieces and it worked for two days and then the new spring snapped popped the reused retainer and chewed up all the plastics. $80 gone, so I just boutght the whole new recoil for $150 and put that on. Works great and I noticed a few differences in composition and design. Buy the kit and save the grief.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
doo recoils are junk they are all plastic parts inside. if you have a can on your sled you absolutely have to put heat reflective tape on the cover to prevent it from melting. don't ask how i know that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Baron3 said:
Neli said:
[snapback]748892[/snapback]​
I had An 02 800 Renegade, there was a recall on the recoil starter that year, so yours should be okay in that respect. After mine was fixed I was on a week long trip and the bolts that hold it on backed out and were lost. To top it off the holes were stripped out. It wasn't fun wrapping the clutch the rest of the week, especially when it snowed like 4 feet one night and the next day was allot of getting unstuck and having to shut the sled down , mainly to prevent overheating. The hot light would come on after about 5 minutes of idling. Some of the time, if I was waiting I'd keep packing snow onto the heat exchanger. It wouldn't have been so bad if that sled fired on the first pull, but it was finicky depending on how long you let it sit. Dead cold it would fire on the second pull. First pull if you just shut it off, but over 15 minutes it might of taken 10 pulls. no choke, choke, etc. *%@. When I got home I went out and got some stainless bolts,washers,and nyloc nuts. I used the bolts as studs (I had to grind the heads down on some of them so they would fit) This fix worked great better than new. While I had the recoil off I decided to rebuild it. (saw some wear) Worked fine the first time, but then I went to fire it up to load it for a trip and the darn thing grenaded on me. I believe I did something wrong with the Knot on the end of the rope and it caused the metal clip that holds everything together to be pushed off-- cheap setup. This was the night before I was leaving so I had my wife bring it to the dealer the next day and he fixed it cheaper than I payed for all the parts I bought to rebuild it. Granted he didn't put in all new parts like I did. But after all that I was always leery of that pull starter. Thats what made me spring order a new sled (05 500SS) with electric start. No more sleds without electric start for me. By the way, It is not real hard to get off. You have to pull the exhaust pipe and can out to get at it though. Use lock-tite on the bolts. Yeah when I asked the dealer about why mine came loose in the first place(cause he installed it) he said " 2 strokes vibrate allot and things come loose" I wasn't too happy with that reply but he made up for it when he got the recoil that I screwed up fixed promptly and reasonably priced
[snapback]749010[/snapback]​
SOrry for the delay, it's pretty sad that BRP doesn't pay someone to read this site? I've got a fleet of Yami's in the garage, and they all work great, no rings to replace, the recoils work fine, the carb boots are fine. It really seems like BRP has a great concept, just needs to refine their suppliers and their quality control on incoming parts, especially for what you pay for in a sled. I can't afford a new one, can you imagine spending $10,000 for a sled? My next sled might be a used Apex, my buddy has one, I've rode it, it's unreal. Turn the key and go, he's got over 2200 miles on it this year, his one year old F-7 with 800 cylinders on it has sat all year, and he's a VERY avid rider, obviously. Cheers, to the shop, the work on my LIKE NEW SLED!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts