Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seized my 800 over the week in the U.P. Anyone heard of any problems with these ? I have been a die-hard Ski-Doo man for years.....but this will test my will. What ever happened to the bullett proof Rotaxs' of old ? I am starting to think 4 stroke (RX-1)...but i can't bring myself to think about changing to something other than Ski-Doo.

·
Straight out a Compton!
4,065 Posts
How many miles were on it? Not to be a jerk, but if you were on this site long enough you would realize that the 800's in 03 had ring problems to.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Ring problems do not mean seize. First question is did you clean the carbs? Check the carb boots? Old gas with water? Could be caused by a multitude of things.

·
Registered
484 Posts
could be the pto seal.....bet the rings were smoked too but that prolly didn't cause the problem in question. You should always check for any recalls on a sled when you buy it used.....and know if they have been corrected or not.....look at it this way now you'll have a BN motor.....get some cudney pistons and rings when you put her back together!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Has 3000 miles on it......rode it for 6 days...so gas is not an issue (unless bad gas at the pump in Seney). I heard about the ring problem...but that should not have siezed it, unless it broke off the ring and got lodged in the head. I keep hearing about Cudney pistons. Website for it ? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
fxdwg, I understand your thoughts on considering a 4-stroke due to reliability. Unfortunately, the reliability issue is more to do with the Ski-Doo series 3 engines than 2 strokes in general. Ski-Doo is pitching SDI as a light weight alternative to 4-strokes and it is. If reliability was not an issue who could argue with the benefits of a high tech, efficient 2 stroke over a 4 stroke. An SDI is much lighter yet delivers as good or better emissions and gas mileage than its 4 stroke competitors.

IMO Ski-Doo is really blowing any chance of efficient 2 strokes being around very long into the future by using the Series III engine as a base for the SDI technology. I am also a life long Doo rider but now I have an 03 Rev 800 I can't help but wonder if I will need to get towed back everytime I take off for a ride. I have already had my rings replaced with the new ceramic chrome ones to hopefully eliminate that issue. I have a PTO seal retainer ring on order so I can reduce the chance of a seal failure taking down the engine. But what about the other issues that people report on here? Doo needs to come up with a solid series 4 replacement or they will loose a lot of customers. The reason that Ski-Doo became #1 is the Rev chassis but the reason they will probably loose it is because of the excessive quality problems that have cropped up in their products the last several years. Gimme a Rev with the reliability of my last 2 MXZ 670s and then I will be happy. Gimme another Rev with quality issues and I will be gone!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It gets pretty bad when someone has to wonder after they start thier sled,if that will be the last time it runs for awhile. I think the handling of the sled is beyond anything else. But handling alone will not keep me loyal. This is the 1st engine failure I have ever had with a Ski-Doo, so I will fix it and keep it. If it fails again.....goodbye REV...and goodbye Ski-Doo.

·
Registered
112 Posts
there is way to many reason... first u need to pull the motor all the way down, clean all the grease off the bearing and drill the case out for oiling, if it was a lean stick u may have ripped a flange.... if u need any help give me a call 586-405-7120

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
You guys make great fish, swallow hook, line and sinker. This is a newbies 3rd post and he claims to have a 03 800 ho.

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,650 Posts
I feel your pain! Mine the first year took motor out at less than 600 miles. New motor and rings were shot at 230 miles. I had clutch come apart and set of rings from first motor. Left bad taste in mouth for these new series three motors, but I loved the chasis! Put in Cudney's pistons, Joe's clutch kit and setup the supension and got rid of the stock skis and some other stuff. 2000+ miles since.
-Grover

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeb said:
You guys make great fish, swallow hook, line and sinker. This is a newbies 3rd post and he claims to have a 03 800 ho.
[snapback]279084[/snapback]​
Should I claim to have an 05 Mach Z instead ? Wish I did...then I would not have this problem. As for the number of posts....I just found out about this site today from a buddy. He said this site might be a source of information.. It is also a source of envy I see. As far as a newbie....I was sledding when you were sucking on nipples.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I still suck on nipples

·
Registered
32 Posts
I can't help it..Damb that was funny
I feel your pain I have an 03 800 and i'll need to replace rings soon..It's a pain,I would rather be riding on my free time.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
fxdwg said:
Jeb said:
[snapback]279084[/snapback]​
Should I claim to have an 05 Mach Z instead ? Wish I did...then I would not have this problem. As for the number of posts....I just found out about this site today from a buddy. He said this site might be a source of information.. It is also a source of envy I see. As far as a newbie....I was sledding when you were sucking on nipples.

[snapback]279098[/snapback]​
my 03 800 siezed at 1600 miles and it was rings. once it cooled it ran but not well. warranty covered it. as for the mach..............you would just be having DIFFERENT troubles. I know this.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I noticed the grease coming from the PTO bearing before I had any problems. I took it in and found out that the bearing was half popped out, the rings were flaking and the governor cup on the clutch was missing a bolt. All is covered by Doo and I am 11 months past my warranty. But I only have 1201 miles on it. I am glad it will be fixed correctly but I am bummed I don't have it right now because we are supposed to get a bunch of snow right now

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am trying to get Ski-Doo to cover this, but it sounds pretty bleak. Does anyone have the website to buy the PTO cover ? Tried to google search it and nothing. Thanks

·
Registered
307 Posts
Good luck getting DOO to cover it,better chance of catching a fart in a paper bag.Never know though sounds like some people they help and some they dont

1 - 19 of 19 Posts