Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up, or will Monday, a new out of crate '03 600HO Rev Sport for my son. Having the seat extension installed for $400 Cdn along with a skid plate and water temp guage. Not sure of machine has never ridden a Rev before. I have a ZXx chassis, '02 MXZX 800. Any thoughts on this machine? Beaver tail much of an issue? Have been told that the beaver tail does RIDE better but has issues with studding. I want to stud it and install a tow hitch. I'm not towing our gear and have him blow by me all the time! HA

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
If set up right he will beat you if your towing something or not. These were unbeatable in the trails when set up correctly, and very impressive in 660 on the snow.

·
Registered
163 Posts
i have the 03 600 X and still have not studded it... let him ride for a while and see what he thinks. It handles great, but i am not sure what kind of trails you have. The tunnel protector cost around 75.00 becuase of the beavertail design. Then of course the cost of your studs. I like the beavertail more than the 04 and up models due to looks. my $0.02

·
Registered
731 Posts
studd it. We will not ride with peaple who are riding sleds that aren't studded. They are a safety hazzard. I never want any one riding behind me without studds. I have had enough guys SLAM in to the back of me over the years and I have helped enough injured people out of the woods with a totaled sled because they missed the icey courner. I saw a guy slde sidways ones doing about 90 mph, sled through him off and then rolled over him- no studds.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the same 03 600 ho sled.... it's a great sled, I kept the beaver tail, it cools well, and Yes it's "different" looking. I hope your son is an accomplished rider, as this is a lot of sled for a youngster, and it will give your 800 a run on the bottom before you pull away.....
Anyway I have 144 (extreme max 1.40 SS )studs down the middle...my experience is that you do not need to buy the expensive Doo tunnel protector kit (as I did) but you "do" have to put in the taller one inch tunnel protector wear strips I think there about ten dollars a piece?? I run 6 inch carbide inside and out on the presisions, and I'm happy with the handling.

The temp gauge is a good addition, I added one also, always runs well below the red mark.
The only thing I'm told you'll want to change, is the spring in the secondary, as the stock one in the 03 will mess up the backshift, and allows the belt to wear grooves over time in the primary clutch sheaves. Ski doo will stand behind this problem if the sled is still in the warranty period. (Mine wasn't and they didn't) new clutch sheaves are $397.00 US. You'll want to change to a 2004 black secondary spring ...there cheap $10.77 when I bought mine last week. I haven't had a chance to install it yet.
I know you'll enjoy this sled, I really like mine... Good Luck ...revmeister

·
Registered
1 Posts
Being Bobber's soon I must say I love it the new MXZ 600, It's a great sled.

The beaver tail has a great look but seems awkawrd when going into reverse, speicaly when backing it into my little parking space, The tail tends to get sucked under.

Even though I have only rode it once or twice, it's seems great.

My old ski-doo, had studs, and comapred with this I do miss them, when going up hills, the studs seem to give you that extra grip to get to the top.

·
Registered
6 Posts
oconnor marine said:
studd it. We will not ride with peaple who are riding sleds that aren't studded. They are a safety hazzard. I never want any one riding behind me without studds. I have had enough guys SLAM in to the back of me over the years and I have helped enough injured people out of the woods with a totaled sled because they missed the icey courner. I saw a guy slde sidways ones doing about 90 mph, sled through him off and then rolled over him- no studds.
[snapback]287655[/snapback]​
tell your friends what the brake is for.
90 mph into a corner.......think about it
not allowed to ride with unless studded......no sleep loss tonight

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
oconnor marine said:
Maybe the people you ride with need to learn how to drive a snowmobile.. I have never studded my tracks because it adds to much weight yet I have never even came close to hitting someone and I ride VERY fast at times.. If you ride a lot of ice I can understand wanting studs but what is the fun of riding on ice trails anyways. Deep power riding is where the fun is.. Maybe non-studs for your son would be a good thing as it will teach him how to ride within reasonable limits..

·
Registered
566 Posts
Whether to stud of not depends a lot on where you ride. Boondocking through powder there would be no point to having studs. On icy trails it can be a matter of life and death. The argument has been hashed out many times so there's no point to do it over again. The only thing I'll say is that the '03 Rev is more of a pain in the rear to stud than most other sleds but it's still not all that big of a deal. If you want studs, go for it. Do a search on DooTalk and you'll find a ton of info on how to do it.

Jon
'03 Rev 600 Sport

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Going to stud it this summer as our snow is RAPIDLY dissappearing with the warm weather here lately! I did get to ride it last night when we went for a couple of hour ride. (first time on a REV)I've spent 3 years on my '02 MXZ800X but I can see getting use to this REV real fast!
As for studs thanks for all the replies but it will be studded for safety sake. Even loading/unloading on my truck deck its so much easier with studs.
Think we will put Dynamo Joe's clutch kit in it and re-jet. Other than that leave it so he can EAT my snow dust!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I would have the rings replaced with the new ones before you even pick it up. You might as well break it in with rings that will last a while.

Also, I never heard of the 03 driven spring causing the grooves in the primary. I have grooves in mine. Will replacing the driven spring keep it from getting worse?

·
I GOT THE NEED FOR SPEED !!!
5,179 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
oconnor marine said:
GIVE US A BREAK BUDDY, Just picked a guy-sled(lots of studs) 50 feet in the bush because he missed a corner, if we hadn't come along(no studs) he probably would still be there trying to remove his sled.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Out of control is out of control!! Its like being over-confident in a 4wd!! I have a 4wd, with grippy tires for the winter. BUT-I dont think Im invincable because of it. I stud my tracks also- all of them!! Not because I think Im going to be able to fly into a corner at 100mph, but for added traction and control with no fishtailing. I think this is why most of us on here do it too!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts